PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need Help Creating a Thief Build

chy03001
2018-07-04, 12:44 AM
Hi all,

I'll be joining a campaign shortly and needed help with a Rogue build (PHB only).

I definitely want to go Neutral Evil Thief as I want my character to be someone who tried to learn magic and failed but still wants to go treasure hunting for magical artifacts. So I definitely want to go minimum of Thief 13 for Use Magic Device and possibly 17 for the two turns in round 1 feature.

I rolled a 16 16, 13, 11, 10, 8.

I was thinking either a Variant Human with Str 10, Dex 16, Con 11+1, Int 13+1, Wis 8, Cha 16 with the Lucky Feat

or

Half Elf with Str 10, Dex 16, Con 11+1, Int 13+1, Wis 8, Cha 16+2.

I was thinking of either a 3 level Pact of Blade dip with Warlock or 7 level Pact of Tome Warlock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

Blood of Gaea
2018-07-04, 12:58 AM
I would go either High Elf or Variant Human (with Ritual Caster or Magic Initiate) to play up the part of "failed mage".

Monkeyknuckles
2018-07-04, 03:24 AM
Variant Human, Tavern brawler feat, thief rogue subclass, wield a torch in one hand and use the lvl 3 thief Use an Item as a bonus action to douse the enemy in oil with your free hand then follow up with a torch sneak attack for 1d4+dex+5+2d6 sneak attack (all fire damage) for 2 silver a pop. Tavern Brawler takes the torch from 1 fire damage to 1d4 and makes you proficient. Later on maybe grab moderately armored for a shield, or possibly magic Initiate for greenflame blade (thematic) and a 1st level spell, I recommend Bless.

CTurbo
2018-07-04, 03:35 AM
Why do you want your Cha so high? I would put the second 16 in Con or at the VERY least, put a 13 there and bump it to 14 with a racial bonus.

If you DO want a good Cha, I'd go Tabaxi so you can start with 18 Dex and Tabaxi make excellent Rogues. I'd probably still put a 16 in Con and put the 13 in Cha which would bump it to 14.

Oh I missed the "PHB only" part so nevermind about Tabaxi I guess.

I say Wood Elf would be great. Whatever race you choose, I would most definitely want to start with an 18 Dex since you have the chance. Nothing is more important to a Rogue than maxing Dex IMO.

Malifice
2018-07-04, 03:39 AM
I would go either High Elf or Variant Human (with Ritual Caster or Magic Initiate) to play up the part of "failed mage".

Yeah. Variant Half elf with the cantrip (Greenflame blade or booming blade).

Massive damage boost for a Rogue.

Sir_Leorik
2018-07-04, 04:10 AM
I would swap Con and Int. You could even roleplay that the lower Int prevented you from becoming a Wizard.

In terms of backgrounds, Sage will provide you with proficiency in the Arcana skill, plus History (so you would be able to recollect bits of lore for treasure hunting).

chy03001
2018-07-04, 09:42 AM

I like the Magic Initiate idea :-D

Thanks everyone please keep them coming!

Belier
2018-07-04, 10:55 AM
Variant Human, Tavern brawler feat, thief rogue subclass, wield a torch in one hand and use the lvl 3 thief Use an Item as a bonus action to douse the enemy in oil with your free hand then follow up with a torch sneak attack for 1d4+dex+5+2d6 sneak attack (all fire damage) for 2 silver a pop. Tavern Brawler takes the torch from 1 fire damage to 1d4 and makes you proficient. Later on maybe grab moderately armored for a shield, or possibly magic Initiate for greenflame blade (thematic) and a 1st level spell, I recommend Bless.

Finesse or ranged weapon is required for sneak attack damage.

Tavern brawler doesn't change the lit torch fire damage of 1 into 1d4.

Douse into oil is an improvised weapon attack and not an object interaction and thus not qualify for fast hand.

While your idea's are nice and I'd accep most of it as a dm except the sneak attack torch, it will require dm approval to work.

CantigThimble
2018-07-04, 11:15 AM
Advice for every thief:

Keep ball bearings, caltrops and oil on hand at all times. You can use them as a bonus action with fast hands for zone control and they cost next to nothing. A healer's kit can also be very good on a thief.

Note: Attacking with the oil is an action but coating the ground with it can be done with fast hands.

Belier
2018-07-04, 11:46 AM
Ok so here's my take on your character.
A kabuto like rogue/monk from naruto that never use elemental magic. Dex/wis based build.

Variant human magic initiate +1dex + 1wis.
9 str
16 dex
12 con
10 intel
16 wis
10 cha

Make him proficient into medecine, he is kabuto after all. Use it to flavor sneak attack knowledge as a rp thing.

Pick up from xanathar magic stone for the build and poison spray for kabuto flavor.

As a lvl 1 spell you could use good berry and rp that they are pills. You could also take longstrider for kabuto like mobility.

So the core idea is to use magic stone in a sling to trigger sneak attack damage. You go monk up to level 5 for stunning strike and extra attack to give yourself auto advantage with Some party suppport help(stun is awesome).

Later on, grab on healer feat, you are kabuto.

I'd suggest either open hand or kensei, if you go kensei you can add 1d4 to your sling attack and if you go up to level 6 you can also add 6 damage with your magic stone sling + your fist attacks are now bypassing resistance, incase you monk level higher than 5.

For the rogue, with fast hand you can use 2 healers kit per turn or make a sling spell attack and bonus action use an object.

Swash buckler could be nice too for pseudo mobile but it does not fit the unarmored style.

Scout mobility and expertise would also Be nice on kabuto like rogue. Ambush would also be a nice capstone.

Of course if you don't want to go magic initiate way you could alway kensei weapon darts and be the potion guy.

CTurbo
2018-07-04, 06:57 PM
I'm still curious as to why you want such a high Cha

I say go Tabaxi Thief with 8 Str, 18 Dex, 16 Con, 10 Int, 13 Wis, 12 Cha(you can switch Wis and Cha to 11 Wis and 14 Cha if you want)
Max Dex then take Magic Initiate for Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, and Find Familiar. Familiars are awesome for spying and scouting not to mention they can give you advantage for your one attack.
Observant would be a solid feat pick later as it would bump your Wis(Perception) a lot.
Lucky is always good as is Alert and Mobile.
The Healer feat is great on a Thief but I don't see this fitting in with your LE alignment.

Anyway, you'd be a great "Cat Burglar" lol

Vogie
2018-07-05, 09:04 AM
I would eschew all of that, and put 3 levels into Warlock for Pact of the Chain. Give yourself an invisible imp, who can fly around giving you advantage or grabbing things for you as though you are an AT. Then go the rest thief rogue

chy03001
2018-07-05, 11:38 AM
I'm still curious as to why you want such a high Cha

I say go Tabaxi Thief with 8 Str, 18 Dex, 16 Con, 10 Int, 13 Wis, 12 Cha(you can switch Wis and Cha to 11 Wis and 14 Cha if you want)
Max Dex then take Magic Initiate for Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, and Find Familiar. Familiars are awesome for spying and scouting not to mention they can give you advantage for your one attack.
Observant would be a solid feat pick later as it would bump your Wis(Perception) a lot.
Lucky is always good as is Alert and Mobile.
The Healer feat is great on a Thief but I don't see this fitting in with your LE alignment.

Anyway, you'd be a great "Cat Burglar" lol

PHB only ;-)

I want my charisma high because I want my character to talk his way out of combat more often than engaging in combat. He's the scoundrel, the sweet talker, the guy who would rather avoid a fight or stack the fight in his favor if he has to get involved and I want him to do it with little to no magic (of his own).

If I go Magic Initiate I might go Bard: Prestidigitation, Vicious Mockery and Healing Word since my group thinks I'm a bard since my character's dad is a bard. I kind of want to see how long I can pretend to be a bard before they catch on O:-)

chy03001
2018-07-05, 11:40 AM
I would eschew all of that, and put 3 levels into Warlock for Pact of the Chain. Give yourself an invisible imp, who can fly around giving you advantage or grabbing things for you as though you are an AT. Then go the rest thief rogue

I considered that too and I do like the idea but I think Pact of the Blade makes me happier. As a collector of magical artifacts, I could potentially gain proficiency with any magic weapon I find and it can disappear and reappear whenever I needed it which means I can go to high society parties and never worry about being caught without a weapon.

CTurbo
2018-07-05, 07:17 PM
Healing Word is not a very good Magic Initiate spell pick IMO. You can only cast it once a day.

You could always go Swords Bard 3/Thief 17

That would fit your character concept.

Mercurias
2018-07-05, 09:55 PM
Why not just ride Thief Rogue all the way to 20? If this is a true chance to play at level 20? Play as if you have a true zero for magical talent outside of using enchanted items.

You could also pump CHA for a charming Rogue and toss in a couple of levels of Wild Magic Sorceror for flavor. Your character finally got that little bit of magic they'd always wanted, but with Wild Magic Rolls it has a chance to turn out badly. Warlock is there too for more reliable magic via invocations, but where is the fun in that?