PDA

View Full Version : Good +1 enhancement bonus?

dual_wielder
2007-09-09, 09:03 PM
What is the best +1 weapon enhancement bonus in your opinion?

I like vicious, just because I can do the most damage with it at that level.

jjpickar
2007-09-09, 09:05 PM
Spell storing. The Gish Weapon of Choice. Also good for fighter's with friendly clerics or wizards with a spare save or suck spell.

the_tick_rules
2007-09-09, 11:08 PM
spell storing, put a true strike in there and you can deliver a power attack of massive power and still get an attack bonus of higher than normal.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-09, 11:37 PM
Keen on a Scimitar or Falchion. Or anything with an expanded crit, really.

Dispelling. Invaluable against mages. Put it on a bow so you can hit the fliers.

Spell-Storing is also good, yes.

the_tick_rules
2007-09-10, 12:03 AM
dispelling, i'm not that familiar with that enchantment.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-10, 12:10 AM
Magic Item Compendium, page 33. Basically, a targetted Dispel Magic on the target on a successful hit. Only functions 3 times per day, sadly.

Tellah
2007-09-10, 12:19 AM
spell storing, put a true strike in there and you can deliver a power attack of massive power and still get an attack bonus of higher than normal.

It doesn't work that way; your attack would result in your opponent gaining a +20 to hit on his next attack. It affects the creature damaged, not the wielder.

And I'll second spell storing as the most excellent +1 enhancement. I like bands of steel, myself, although spell vulnerability is pretty tasty, too.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-09-10, 05:56 AM
no he's saying cast true strike on yourself to make sure you hit, and making sure that what ever spell stored is not wasted.

EDIT: wait I might be wrong, it does sound like he is saying it the other way, then yes it would work your way.

Vhaidara
2007-09-10, 06:18 AM
Spell storing using Shocking Grasp, or keen with a rapier/falchion/scimitar. The first is the best. Undead or constructs on the second, and you die.

Person_Man
2007-09-10, 08:25 AM
My favorite +1 enhancement is the base +1 enhancement. Most of my melee builds can pretty much kill anything that's CR appropriate in 1 or 2 attacks - if they hit. Thus, increasing the probability of hitting is the most valuable enhancement on any weapon for me.

Also, never waste an enhancement on Keen. Just buy a scabbard of keen edges. It's cheaper that way at higher levels, since weapon costs stack.

Hopeless
2007-09-10, 08:50 AM
What is the best +1 weapon enhancement bonus in your opinion?

I like vicious, just because I can do the most damage with it at that level.

Sure Striking from Magic from Faerun in return for a +1 bonus my cleric/sorceror of Helm wields a +1 Bastard Sword of Sure Striking treats DR as if it were a +5 weapon... now try and say it takes less damage!

mostlyharmful
2007-09-10, 09:00 AM
Mage-Bane from complete aracana, banes a weapon against anything with unused arcane spell-slots and anything with spell-like abilities, which is just about everything at mid to high levels, its a bane vs anything scarey:smallbiggrin:

Anxe
2007-09-10, 09:53 AM
Flaming. Best thing against regeneration and gets you an extra die of damage.

Indon
2007-09-10, 10:00 AM
Wounding is good if you find yourself attacking frequently, with full attacks, AOO's, hasted attacks, and so on.

Ikkitosen
2007-09-10, 10:05 AM
Sure Striking from Magic from Faerun in return for a +1 bonus my cleric/sorceror of Helm wields a +1 Bastard Sword of Sure Striking treats DR as if it were a +5 weapon... now try and say it takes less damage!

For 3.0 I agree, but DR is just /magic in 3.5, making that enchantment redundant.

I like Spell Storing.

slexlollar89
2007-09-10, 11:09 AM
I have to say that I use keen the most, but my favorite is either vicious, or merciful... yeah I know they are opposites, but I just like them both.

Zim
2007-09-10, 11:13 AM
Bane is good if your campaign has a theme where you're encountering a lot of a certain type of creature. For overall utility, I'd go with spell storing with a save or suck effect in it.

JellyPooga
2007-09-10, 11:45 AM
'Maiming' is my new favourite...I just can't get enough of random stuff...give me a Wild Mage with a Rod of Wonder, several Bag of Tricks' and a Weapon with a x4 Crit and the Maiming property...sweet! Much better than something reliable :smallbiggrin:

kjones
2007-09-10, 02:07 PM
Spell storing using Shocking Grasp, or keen with a rapier/falchion/scimitar. The first is the best. Undead or constructs on the second, and you die.

Keen is slashing only, remember. No rapier for you :smalltongue:

Vhaidara
2007-09-10, 02:11 PM
Meh, my uncle allows it. My dad has a Weapon finesse guy that uses a scimitar because they didn't realize that WF doesn't apply to scimitars until I pointed it out after the third session.

Thinker
2007-09-10, 02:13 PM
Keen is slashing only, remember. No rapier for you :smalltongue:

O RLY?

Keen: This ability doubles the threat range of a weapon. Only piercing or slashing weapons can be keen. (If you roll this property randomly for an inappropriate weapon, reroll.) This benefit doesn’t stack with any other effect that expands the threat range of a weapon (such as the keen edge spell or the Improved Critical feat).

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, keen edge; Price +1 bonus.

Looks pretty legal to me :smalltongue:

JackMage666
2007-09-10, 02:23 PM
'Maiming' is my new favourite...I just can't get enough of random stuff...give me a Wild Mage with a Rod of Wonder, several Bag of Tricks' and a Weapon with a x4 Crit and the Maiming property...sweet! Much better than something reliable :smallbiggrin:

Unfortunately, they updated Maiming in the Magic Item Compendium - It now just does extra damage based on Crit rating, rather than randomly increasing (or decreasing) crit rating. Personally, I perfer the old Minature Handbook (I think) version as well.

Krursk
2007-09-11, 09:03 AM
I believe it's called Shrinking. Arms and Equipment Guide. It allows you to shrink a weapon to 4 sizes smaller. I had a Orge Fighter who could swap (as a free action) between a Large Greatsword at a fair to hit bonus or a Collossal Greatsword, because it had crazy reach and did 6d6 damage

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-09-11, 11:37 AM
Personally? Defending or Ghost Touch if you have a lot of incorporeals you have to deal with.

Defending. It's an untyped bonus to AC, which means it stacks with everything else. Get a party member to drop Greater Magic Weapon on it, and you've got extra AC.

Ghost Touch. Handy vs blinking/incorporeal creatures. Ignores the miss chance granted by etherealness.

Kaelaroth
2007-09-11, 11:40 AM
Profane.... heheheeheheeee..... :amused:

Person_Man
2007-09-11, 12:53 PM
Ghost Touch. Handy vs blinking/incorporeal creatures. Ignores the miss chance granted by etherealness.

Also wildly useful if you buy a Ring of Blinking. Although its annoying that you have to spend a standard action to activate it, now your enemies are denied their Dex bonus, have a 50% miss chance when they attack you, and you have a 0% miss chance when you attack them.

If you don't want to invest in a Ghost Touch weapon, the Pierce Magical Concealment feat does the same thing, but it applies to the miss chance from all magical effects.

Iku Rex
2007-09-11, 01:27 PM
I believe it's called Shrinking. Arms and Equipment Guide. It allows you to shrink a weapon to 4 sizes smaller. I had a Orge Fighter who could swap (as a free action) between a Large Greatsword at a fair to hit bonus or a Collossal Greatsword, because it had crazy reach and did 6d6 damageShrinking was* a standard action to activate, and your ogre should not have been allowed to use a Colossal Greatsword.

*The latest version IMO is "Sizing" (+5000 gp, MIC) and it lets you change the weapon's size to any other size as a swift action.

Iku Rex
2007-09-11, 01:39 PM
Also wildly useful if you buy a Ring of Blinking. Although its annoying that you have to spend a standard action to activate it, now your enemies are denied their Dex bonus, have a 50% miss chance when they attack you, and you have a 0% miss chance when you attack them.Doesn't work. Blink makes you ethereal, not incorporeal. Yes, the spell description says that ethereal creatures are "incorporeal". This is incorrect - the word should be "insubstantial". (It's an error copy-pasted from the 3.0 PH, where it was also a mistake. Go Andy!) Check the ethereal jaunt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/etherealJaunt.htm)spell or the etherealness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#etherealness) description in the DMG glossary for the correct description of etherealness.

Here's further confirmation from Rules of the Game, There, Not There (Part Five) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041012a):

An ethereal creature cannot touch, damage, move, or otherwise physically interact with things on the Material Plane.

It goes without saying, but ghost touch weapons an ethereal creature wields don't affect targets on the Material Plane. Spells and other magical effects that an ethereal creature uses don't have any affects on the Material Plane, and neither do extraordinary abilities.

BCOVertigo
2007-09-11, 02:03 PM
Doesn't work. Blink makes you ethereal, not incorporeal. Yes, the spell description says that ethereal creatures are "incorporeal". This is incorrect - the word should be "insubstantial". (It's an error copy-pasted from the 3.0 PH, where it was also a mistake. Go Andy!) Check the ethereal jaunt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/etherealJaunt.htm)spell or the etherealness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#etherealness) description in the DMG glossary for the correct description of etherealness.

Here's further confirmation from Rules of the Game, There, Not There (Part Five) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041012a):

Good, I was about to get angry that one of my fellow tanks last night almost got dropped due to him having an uneccessary miss chance. We were fighting an NPC who called himself "The Lasher" and used a 3.0 prc of the same name(maybe) and that stupid build that uses blink+pierce magical concealment+pyrokinetist's fire whip(in this case sonic variant) to hit 95% of the time. But it's alright 'cause I used Wall of Blades and he missed twice anyways.

On a side note power/leap attacking with a whip two handed is a stupid idea and I'm glad we killed him for it. :smallmad:

I have to second the basic +1, sure a +1 flaming keen shocking burst greatsword is cool, but the shininess wears off if you can't hit. Also I was shown the enhancement from ToB that grants a bonus to hit when using maneuvers of the correct discipline. Very nice.