PDA

View Full Version : Red Hand of Doom in Rise of Tiamat: How to do?

GreyBlack
2018-07-04, 04:45 AM
Greetings folks!

So my group has been somewhat restless recently with the published 5e material, which I fully understand. Currently, the PC's are about level 5 (I allowed them to use the AL Catch up mechanic to skip level 4), and we ran finished the Dragon Hatchery in Hoard of the Dragon Queen. Personally, I'm not a fan of how the rest of the book is written either and am thinking of changing adventure tracks and using Red Hand of Doom (a 3.5 adventure) to bring the players up until level 11. That said, I totally do want to have my PC's face off against Tiamat at the end of the adventure, and may wind up grafting part of Rise of Tiamat onto the back end of Red Hand of Doom.

So the question. If the players reach level 11 through RHoD, what sections/chapters would I have to cut in order to make Rise of Tiamat make sense and get them to that section? Where is a good place to loop them back into the main plot?

Thanks guys!

Angelalex242
2018-07-04, 07:58 PM
...first of all, I wouldn't make the switch between books until the PCs have acquired Harziwan and the Black Dragon Mask. If there's a monk PC, they desperately want the Insignia Claws.

Just throwin' that out there.

GreyBlack
2018-07-04, 08:24 PM
...first of all, I wouldn't make the switch between books until the PCs have acquired Harziwan and the Black Dragon Mask. If there's a monk PC, they desperately want the Insignia Claws.

Just throwin' that out there.

Magic items are easy enough; I'm just going to sprinkle those to other bosses in RHoD. Give the mask to Wyrmlord Hravek, give Harziwan to Svaarith, and boom.