PDA

View Full Version : Magic Initiate, do I understand the positives and negatives with the 1st level spell?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-07-05, 12:22 AM
I want to check if I understand it correctly.

-The first level spell my character learns from Magic Initiate can only be cast at first level, and only once a day?

-Casting that level 1 Magic Initiate spell DOES NOT cost my character one of her non-Magic Initiate spell slots?

Rules as intended is what matters most to me if there are different ideas.

Below is the text:
_____________________-
Choose a class: bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, or wizard. You learn two cantrips of your choice from that class’s spell list.

In addition, choose one 1st Level Spell from that same list. You learn that spell and can cast it at its lowest level. Once you cast it, you must finish a long rest before you can cast it again.

Your spellcasting ability for these spells depends on the class you chose: Charisma for bard, sorcerer, or warlock; Wisdom for cleric or druid; or Intelligence for wizard.

Crgaston
2018-07-05, 12:33 AM
You have it right for the second part.

I think that you can upcast if you take MI in your own class, though.

DarkKnightJin
2018-07-05, 02:17 AM
It's kinda DM dependent on the first level spell.
Some will rule that unless it's on your own class' spell list, you can only cast it once per day.

Others will allow you to cast it as many times as you have spell slots remaining, since it is a spell you *know* how to cast.

Inquire with your DM on how they would rule something like this to be sure what to expect in their campaign.

I would personally allow the player to cast it with any of their slots. They gave up an ASI to gain access to the spell. And they're still expending resources beyond that point if they want to cast it more than 1 time between long rests.

NaughtyTiger
2018-07-05, 09:16 AM
1st part:
1/day, no slot used. even if it is a ritual, can't cast it as a ritual multiple times. (ie detect magic is 1/day flat)

2st part:
if it is on your class's spell list, you can burn a spell slot to cast/upcast.
if it is on your class's spell AND you can cast rituals (no ranger or paladin or EK or AT or warlock or sorceror)

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SA_Compendium_1.02.pdf

Segev
2018-07-05, 09:30 AM
I think that you can upcast if you take MI in your own class, though.

2st part:
if it is on your class's spell list, you can burn a spell slot to cast/upcast.
if it is on your class's spell AND you can cast rituals (no ranger or paladin or EK or AT or warlock or sorceror)

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SA_Compendium_1.02.pdf

...what the...?

Huh. Magic Initiate is much more useful than I thought. Still doesn't quite get around needing the class, but... +1 spell known is often very useful for a lot of classes.

Vogie
2018-07-05, 09:35 AM
Typically, yes.

The idea of MI is that a non-magical class can dabble into magic without multi-classing. The rule of "you cannot upcast" was presumably specifically added so spellcasters cannot just opt for more spell slots in lieu of an ASI.

Most of the time, the main target of Magic Initiate Spells are those with a long or otherwise lasting effect. Find Familiar, Mage Armor, Hex, Expeditious Retreat, Goodberry, And Bless are the normal targets, with some occasional picks of Sanctuary to protect the NPC, Magic Missile for auto-hitting ranged damage, Fog Cloud as a Smoke bomb, Shield of Faith to make your tank more tankier.

However, it's also an ability for anyone to grab a clutch spell. Feather Fall is campaign dependent, Healing Word to stop the bodies from hitting the floor, and Xanthar's brought Absorb Elements. Shield was a common pick for pre-hexblade Blade warlocks, and will occasionally be picked up by warlocks, including Hexblades, just so they don't have to use spell slots.

Beelzebubba
2018-07-05, 01:17 PM
...what the...?

Huh. Magic Initiate is much more useful than I thought. Still doesn't quite get around needing the class, but... +1 spell known is often very useful for a lot of classes.

You'd think, but +2 in casting stat is way more effective. Then, after that, +2 Con. Then, after that...

It's sweet for EK/AT, and adds some really good flavor for non-casting classes.

Willie the Duck
2018-07-05, 01:25 PM

Don't forget the two cantrips. If your wizard wants mage hand, prestidigitation, minor illusion, mending, AND a bunch of different combat cantrips in case they run into enemies with varying resistances, well then, MI helps build the character concept.