PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Market for New Spells?

unseenmage
2018-07-05, 02:29 AM
Just as the title asks; what's the going rate for a mage to sell custom versions of spells?

IIRC one need not be a spellcaster to research new spells, just have enough ranks in Spellcraft.

Am considering a character who sells versions of non-permissive-GM spells that function as a permissive GM's version but at +1 or more spell level.

Like all the table dependant versions of Simulacrum expressed as Custom Spell versions of themselves.
Slightly altered, one emphasizing the 'illusory', eg the sim has none of the originals knowledge.
Or one emphasizes the 'duplicate', eg the sim knows what the original knows.
While another might incorporate the 2E percentage rolls for how much the copy knows.

Zanos
2018-07-05, 02:36 AM
Just as the title asks; what's the going rate for a mage to sell custom versions of spells?
If we assume the same going rate as other goods that don't cost XP to craft, they sell for 3x the cost of the raw materials. Spell research takes 1 week per spell level and 1,000 gp per week, so you could extrapolate a going rate of 3000xSL for a custom spell. Technically there are not other limitations on it, only the ability to pass an extremely easy spellcraft check of 10+SL. So technically a level 1 bard could research a 9th level wizard spell that he could not cast. The rules here are very general though, and merely say that an acceptable spell for research is entirely within the domain of the DM. I'd personally say you have to be able to cast the spell you are researching.

IIRC one need not be a spellcaster to research new spells, just have enough ranks in Spellcraft.
Not according to the DMG. The (few) rules that are in that book say that you do have to be a spellcaster. Page 198.

Am considering a character who sells versions of non-permissive-GM spells that function as a permissive GM's version but at +1 spell level.
That's really odd. Could you elaborate more?

unseenmage
2018-07-05, 02:40 AM

That's really odd. Could you elaborate more?
I did. In the paragraph below.

Another example could be a Water to Acid spell that makes the Acid alchemical item instead of the oddly different acid the spell makes. Would allow one to sell the acid created, if one bottled it first, of course.

Zanos
2018-07-05, 02:42 AM
I did. In the paragraph below.

Another example could be a Water to Acid spell that makes the Acid alchemical item instead of the oddly different acid the spell makes. Would allow one to sell the acid created, if one bottled it first, of course.
I thought the entire point of ruling those spells non-permissively was to prevent the game-breaking abuses they caused? Like simalcruming your opponent to learn all about them, or creating the infinite [insert mundane item] factory that collapses the local value of that good.

unseenmage
2018-07-05, 02:52 AM
I thought the entire point of ruling those spells non-permissively was to prevent the game-breaking abuses they caused? Like simalcruming your opponent to learn all about them, or creating the infinite [insert mundane item] factory that collapses the local value of that good.

I mean kind of.

Ninth level spells can, do, and should break economies (3.x True Creation) and reveal an opponent's info (PF's Scribe's Binding).
So to me a Greater Simulacrum spell that takes off the kid gloves, optimizably speaking, is doable.

EDIT: Just realized I said +1 SL when I meant +1 or more SL. Apologies. Will edit the OP.

Elkad
2018-07-05, 09:39 AM
My table has many dozens of custom spells.

Players create them, trade them, hunt them down, etc.

Incidentally, I'm pretty strict with full-list casters as well (Clerics). When someone researches a new spell, it doesn't automatically appear on the list for every Cleric in the multiverse the next time they prepare. They need to find knowledge of it the old-fashioned way. Same with obscure book stuff. I've got a list of base spells that every cleric knows. Everything else is considered rare and has to be researched (at a reduced price, since it already exists).

Jay R
2018-07-05, 02:24 PM
The "going rate" is a rate that suppliers will accept, and that consumers will pay. It's not a system rule, but a world decision.

If you are asking as a player, then the going rate is what the DM decides that NPCs will pay (or what the players decide that the other PCs will pay).

If you are asking as a DM, then the going rate is what you think your NPC will pay (or what the players decide that the PCs will pay).

In my world, the going rate would depend on how much better I think the spell is than what they already have (competitive advantage), how many casters (that the seller knows how to reach) might have a use for it (demand), how many copies of it the PC trying to sell it can produce (supply), and how long before somebody else is selling them (direct competition).

If it could really help a caster with a current plan, then she might pay a great deal for it right now. If it's a utility spell that does pretty close to what other utility spells do, then not much.

Thurbane
2018-07-05, 02:34 PM
I would probably use the rate given for copying a spell from a spellbook as a starting point:

In most cases, wizards charge a fee for the privilege of copying spells from their spellbooks. This fee is usually equal to the spell’s level × 50 gp, though many wizards jealously guard their higherlevel spells and may charge much more, or even deny access to them altogether.
I have a question: what happens when a character like a Cleric or Druid researches a new spell? Does it suddenly become available to every caster of the same type that prays for spells? Does a god (or force of nature) disseminate it's knowledge to all of the faithful? Or do they have to have a face-to-face with the person who developed the spell?

lylsyly
2018-07-05, 02:50 PM
I would probably use the rate given for copying a spell from a spellbook as a starting point:

I have a question: what happens when a character like a Cleric or Druid researches a new spell? Does it suddenly become available to every caster of the same type that prays for spells? Does a god (or force of nature) disseminate it's knowledge to all of the faithful? Or do they have to have a face-to-face with the person who developed the spell?

Do believe either scenario would be a DM call. My own ruling as a DM would be face to face, or perhaps a cleric sharing it with her order (at which point you would have to decide how long it would take to spread the news).

Thurbane
2018-07-05, 02:57 PM
Long story short: the rules/guidelines for researching your own spells are pretty poorly defined.

IIRC, earlier editions, especially 2E, had much more detailed rules around this.

Goaty14
2018-07-05, 03:35 PM

Do believe either scenario would be a DM call. My own ruling as a DM would be face to face, or perhaps a cleric sharing it with her order (at which point you would have to decide how long it would take to spread the news).

There is no DM call. Only the researcher of the divine spell can cast it, unless he shares it with others.

Per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/divineSpells.htm#divineIndependentResearch):

A divine spellcaster also can research a spell independently, much as an arcane spellcaster can. Only the creator of such a spell can prepare and cast it, unless he decides to share it with others.

lylsyly
2018-07-05, 03:46 PM
I know what the SRD says. Do you know that every facet of the game is the DMs call?

Jay R
2018-07-08, 08:16 AM
Another consideration: Wizards in big cities might have a bigger, faster network than adventurers.

The PC sells the spell to an established big-city wizard for 1,000 gp, and looks for other customers. Within three days, four different wizards come up and offer to sell him this great new spell for 100 gp.

Bronk
2018-07-09, 08:47 AM
It seems to me that under normal circumstances, researching a new spell is a rare thing for mages, but I think it's entirely possible to set something like this up, eventually with a cutthroat industry of custom spell creation, not just with different major effects, but with new side effect riders and sensory experiences as well.

Interestingly, there is an epic organization dedicated to transcribing every spell in existence. It's lead by a demilich who also does the final transcribing, but the organization itself is a fairly extensive one, with a bevy of magical librarians and a ton of agents to search out the spells, and suddenly creating a thriving spell creation market would attract their attention.

It would be fun to allow this to happen, have the organization find out, and see how they react. However, the demilich is super busy with its transcriptions, so in the absence of specific guidance from the floating hand, they could have a schism in their ranks. People who are in it for the journey (or the money) would try to encourage the practice, while people in it for the end goal would want them to knock it off. There could be all sorts of shenanigans as the two sides vie for power, and the PCs could get drawn in via the agent investigators, or even fending off assassination attempts to prevent more spells being made!

Daefos
2018-07-09, 09:26 AM
I know what the SRD says. Do you know that every facet of the game is the DMs call?

Do you know that a clear, concise rule with no reasonable alternative interpretation is not a "DM's call", it's just a rule? The SRD, and the rules contained within, is the only commonality that everyone on this forum shares because every home game is different. Dismissing them, and the people who reference them, by saying that "the rules don't matter because the DM can change them" is probably the least helpful "advice" you can give.

I would probably use the rate given for copying a spell from a spellbook as a starting point

Gonna second this, since adding a custom spell to your own spellbook/spells known and then letting others copy it is effectively what you're doing. Would probably warrant doubling the multiplier from 50gp/spell level to 100gp/spell level, both as a function of the new spell's rarity and as a way to recover the costs of researching the spell in the first place and (hopefully) turning a profit.

daremetoidareyo
2018-07-09, 09:53 AM
A savvy spell researcher would put a brand icon in the Spells themselves. That way every casting is a commercial for the spell researcher.

Thurbane
2018-07-09, 02:07 PM
A savvy spell researcher would put a brand icon in the Spells themselves. That way every casting is a commercial for the spell researcher.

Probably why we have spells like Tenser's Transformation, Bigby's Crushing Hand etc. :smalltongue:

Nifft
2018-07-09, 03:55 PM
A savvy spell researcher would put a brand icon in the Spells themselves. That way every casting is a commercial for the spell researcher. Wouldn't that leave you open to abuse of your spells by people who don't like you?

I mean, imagine if you had the spells project your image and speak your name, you'd end up lending your name to acts that you would not approve.

"This slaughter of innocent orphans was made possible thanks to daremetoidareyo brand extra-spicy fireball, now with 30% more fire."

Probably why we have spells like Tenser's Transformation, Bigby's Crushing Hand etc. :smalltongue:

You mean Transformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transformation.htm) and Crushing Hand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/crushingHand.htm)? :smallcool:

But seriously, that's a solid idea, if you can somehow prevent people from filing off the arcane serial number -- possibly through convention, which is how Bigby / Tenser / etc. got their names spread.

daremetoidareyo
2018-07-09, 04:05 PM
Wouldn't that leave you open to abuse of your spells by people who don't like you?

I mean, imagine if you had the spells project your image and speak your name, you'd end up lending your name to acts that you would not approve.

"This slaughter of innocent orphans was made possible thanks to daremetoidareyo brand extra-spicy fireball, now with 30% more fire."

All publicity is good publicity. ;)

Counter spelltrade war ops would be to make a humanitarian adventurer force to use your spells in public displays of justice in all the major mage academy hubs

Nifft
2018-07-09, 04:08 PM
All publicity is good publicity. ;)

Counter spelltrade war ops would be to make a humanitarian adventurer force to use your spells in public displays of justice in all the major mage academy hubs

Now there's a horrible idea: trade wars featuring adventures advertising their corporate sponsor's spells.

Maybe that's how Warlock pacts work: you have to advertise your patron.

daremetoidareyo
2018-07-09, 04:15 PM
Now there's a horrible idea: trade wars featuring adventures advertising their corporate sponsor's spells.

Maybe that's how Warlock pacts work: you have to advertise your patron.

Real world dystopia be influencing my fantasy.

First spell to research: intellectual spell property. You cast it on a spell in your spellbook, and any copies of it erase after x amount of uses unless the Wizard teleports x amount of gold to the researchers coffers to update one's subscription...

Those funds are then used to hunt sorcerers and spellthieves for their inborn menace to intellectual arcane property rights...

Nifft
2018-07-09, 04:34 PM
Real world dystopia be influencing my fantasy.

First spell to research: intellectual spell property. You cast it on a spell in your spellbook, and any copies of it erase after x amount of uses unless the Wizard teleports x amount of gold to the researchers coffers to update one's subscription... Maybe that's why some spells have expensive material components. They're just magical royalties.

Those funds are then used to hunt sorcerers and spellthieves for their inborn menace to intellectual arcane property rights... I'd totally play a game as a crew of astral spell pirates running a peer-to-peer spell-sharing network through a covert Mage of the Arcane Order organization.

daremetoidareyo
2018-07-09, 04:43 PM
In 2nd edition planescape there was a spell that did massive damage to devils. The demons would make crack stealth squads that would infiltrate wizard academies and fortresses to scribe this anti-devil spell into Wizard's spell books. Just to kill more devils.

Darth Ultron
2018-07-09, 04:54 PM
It seems to me that under normal circumstances, researching a new spell is a rare thing for mages,

I think it is the other way around. Almost every spell caster makes at least a couple new spells per year. Magic can do ''anything'', but sadly the spells in Core don't ''do'' all that much except mindless combat. A spellcaster living day to day, would want a lot more magic then ''fireballs to blow up orcs''. So you'd see a lot of non combat spells, and every couple of them will be quite useful.

Wizards, in particular, like to make new spells for the fame. Nothing makes a wizard more famous then that.

New spells are also a great surprise for any foe that does not know what the spell does.

And spells can fill 'holes' in the lists, like making more air based spells, or spells that shoot water as an attack.

Elkad
2018-07-09, 06:43 PM
It seems to me that under normal circumstances, researching a new spell is a rare thing for mages...

Not at all.

I think it is the other way around. Almost every spell caster makes at least a couple new spells per year. Magic can do ''anything'', but sadly the spells in Core don't ''do'' all that much except mindless combat. A spellcaster living day to day, would want a lot more magic then ''fireballs to blow up orcs''. So you'd see a lot of non combat spells, and every couple of them will be quite useful.

Wizards, in particular, like to make new spells for the fame. Nothing makes a wizard more famous then that.

New spells are also a great surprise for any foe that does not know what the spell does.

And spells can fill 'holes' in the lists, like making more air based spells, or spells that shoot water as an attack.

This. I'm always working up new spells.

Last game I started as a player, I had 2 new cantrips before I hit 3rd level. One was combat, but one simply replaced 15 minutes of manual labor.

Thurbane
2018-07-09, 07:06 PM
Like I said earlier, from memory 2E has much better detailed rules/guidelines for researching new spells.

It's a cool concept, but I feel it wasn't handled very well in 3E. It's open to abuse or horrible miscalculation if you don't know what you're doing. Unless the DM is pretty confident, you could end up with a spell vastly overpowered or underpowered for its level, or just plain problematic with unforeseen circumstances. I mean, example of such spells already exist in core, but potentially throwing your own home-brew into the mix is something to be handled with caution.

Bronk
2018-07-09, 09:08 PM
Not at all.

I think it is the other way around. Almost every spell caster makes at least a couple new spells per year.

Do you have anything to back that up?
I think, especially in 3.5 where we're told that magic has basically been stagnant for thousands of years, this isn't a thing. Wizards have plenty of other options for whiling away their non adventuring days: Researching, writing in their spellbooks, scribing scrolls, making all sorts of magic items, creating golems and constructs, summoning things, and so on. The rest of the time, most of them are out pillaging old dungeons and ruins looking for magic that's been lost to the ages. The powerful and creative mages who have come up with new magic spells since the fall of the great empires are few and far between, the stuff of legend.

I've never seen this sort of situation in a DnD novel either... that's what makes this situation and this thread so interesting to me.

Nifft
2018-07-09, 09:14 PM
in 3.5 where we're told that magic has basically been stagnant for thousands of years

Where was that written?

I'm more familiar with 1e, where famous mages like Rary wrote a bunch of spells in recent memory, and in fact he's still around (and he's a jerk and someone should go do something about him).

Bronk
2018-07-10, 06:37 AM
Where was that written?

I'm more familiar with 1e, where famous mages like Rary wrote a bunch of spells in recent memory, and in fact he's still around (and he's a jerk and someone should go do something about him).

The default setting for 3.5 is Greyhawk, which is described as being filled to the brim with ruins from multiple greater ages.

Faerun is similar, with the stagnant elven empires destroyed or in retreat, with all current magic based on magic from the ancient Netherese empire. The elves' magic originated from the dragons, the elven pantheon of gods, and fallen angels like Malkizid, while the Netherese magic originated from the Nether Scrolls, which originated during the time of the creator races.

Eberron is similar, with current civilization recovering from a great war, and even before that they were still not as great as previous empires of the giants or the current dragon continent.

The Dark Sun setting is completely post apocalyptic, and magic is shunned.

So by the time 3.5 rolls around, for Greyhawk, there were a few high class wizards creating new spells a few centuries ago that we know of. In Faerun, there was a lot of creativity during the time of the creator races, a bit more while adapting the Nether scrolls, and then more recently with the Chosen of Mystra. For Eberron, it sounds like the Giants were the ones with the most recent burst of creativity. For Dark Sun, it's probably been ages.

Creating new magic would happen... there are lots of stories about mages of various sorts retreating from society to study magic in private for a few centuries, but then again, if the ones who do that are NPCs, and everything they do is slow... (I don't have a link, but I'm picturing the comic when Elan wants to take a level in Wizard by studying for a few minutes with Vaarsuvius, who objects that they had to study for a century before taking their own first level!)... and there aren't all that many of them.

Nifft
2018-07-10, 10:14 AM
I don't know Dark Sun's history well enough to engage with those assertions, so I'm just going to strip the Dark Sun stuff out.

The default setting for 3.5 is Greyhawk, which is described as being filled to the brim with ruins from multiple greater ages. Greyhawk has had new magic developed within living memory. All those spells with someone's name prefixed? Those people are still alive, or died recently. All those brand-name spells are the result of specific PCs in campaigns ~20 years ago. Your PCs can do what they did. Your PCs can change magic, just as magic has already been changed.

Faerun is similar, with the stagnant elven empires destroyed or in retreat, with all current magic based on magic from the ancient Netherese empire. The elves' magic originated from the dragons, the elven pantheon of gods, and fallen angels like Malkizid, while the Netherese magic originated from the Nether Scrolls, which originated during the time of the creator races. FR aped Greyhawk in brand-naming spells after powerful mages, with the chief difference being that FR's powerful mages are usually NPCs and plot-devices rather than retired PCs. Elminster's Egregious Evocation and whatnot, written by living characters (though maybe you're screwed because they're plot-level NPCs rather than suck-level PCs).

Eberron is similar, with current civilization recovering from a great war, and even before that they were still not as great as previous empires of the giants or the current dragon continent. Eberron is usually centered in a region of very recent magical and technological development, with artifice and mage-craft doing things that have never been done before. Eberron has plenty of ruins to delve and ancient secrets to explore, but it's NOT a stagnant nostalgia-swamp -- there are also modern secrets held by powerful magical guilds, which are uplifting the quality of life for entire nations at a time. Eberron has new magical tech, new magical spells, and new magical non-spell techniques which have changed the world and are continuing to change it. Additionally it has ruined empires, which did different things with magic, and which can offer insight -- but which aren't strictly greater. There's no evidence of any ancient Giant lightning train. There's no evidence that the Dragons ever created new intelligent life forms.

So by the time 3.5 rolls around, for Greyhawk, there were a few high class wizards creating new spells a few centuries ago that we know of. Nope. Those guys are still alive, or they died within living memory. Also they were PCs, you can do what they did.

In Faerun, there was a lot of creativity during the time of the creator races, a bit more while adapting the Nether scrolls, and then more recently with the Chosen of Mystra. For Eberron, it sounds like the Giants were the ones with the most recent burst of creativity. For Eberron, recent creativity includes all the magitech which makes the setting unique, including Warforged, elemental binding for large-scale transportation, and a bunch of new spells. It's explicitly a renaissance, not a dark age aching for past glory. New is better in Eberron, and the future is better than the past.

Creating new magic would happen... there are lots of stories about mages of various sorts retreating from society to study magic in private for a few centuries, but then again, if the ones who do that are NPCs, and everything they do is slow... (I don't have a link, but I'm picturing the comic when Elan wants to take a level in Wizard by studying for a few minutes with Vaarsuvius, who objects that they had to study for a century before taking their own first level!)... and there aren't all that many of them. It really sounds like you're projecting some kind of FR-related NPCs-are-better-than-you onto other settings. FR claims to be a generic default, but it's not. It's highly opinionated and some of its opinions are toxic. This idea of magical stagnation is one such toxic idea, and that idea is anathema to several other big, popular settings.

Greyhawk's magical library is built on PC innovation. PCs are expected to innovate. You can totally get your name on a spell or a type of item (like Heward's Handy Haversack or Quaal's Feather Token).

Eberron's magical library is also full of recent innovations, and isn't limited to innovation by Wizards. Druids, Clerics, anyone with a Dragonmark, and any crafter can also innovate. Elemental Binding allows the creation of large-scale transportation, like big flying ships or networks of trains. (One such network has been built within living memory.) The whole race of Warforged are something new. Daelkyr Halfbloods are something new. Those jerks over in Sarlona are doing something new with psionics. Eberron is a long history of innovation, plus a very recent history of innovation, with some of those innovations being nasty barbed plot-hooks.

Bronk
2018-07-10, 11:43 AM
Your PCs can do what they did.

I think this is your post, distilled. They can, of course, with DM approval. But in any given established game world, when you start your game fresh, has anyone else? Some have, but not many. How many spells are there with names attached? A fraction of them.

Nope. Those guys are still alive, or they died within living memory. Also they were PCs, you can do what they did.

They are few, and although some are still alive, their spells made it into the lexicon centuries ago.

It really sounds like you're projecting some kind of FR-related NPCs-are-better-than-you onto other settings.

There's just more Faerun material out there, especially in 3.5.

Eberron is usually centered in a region of very recent magical and technological development, with artifice and mage-craft doing things that have never been done before.

Eberron's magical library is also full of recent innovations, and isn't limited to innovation by Wizards. Druids, Clerics, anyone with a Dragonmark, and any crafter can also innovate. Elemental Binding allows the creation of large-scale transportation, like big flying ships or networks of trains. (One such network has been built within living memory.) The whole race of Warforged are something new. Daelkyr Halfbloods are something new. Those jerks over in Sarlona are doing something new with psionics. Eberron is a long history of innovation, plus a very recent history of innovation, with some of those innovations being nasty barbed plot-hooks.

The Eberron setting has its own spells, but it's more focused on the other aspects that you mentioned: binding things, the new races, the artifact level items, infusions, and all that.

I'm away from my books, but are any of the setting specific spells named after anyone?

As for the renaissance, I had thought that was before the war... my understanding was that much knowledge was lost during that time, and the countries involved are still recovering.

Nifft
2018-07-10, 01:46 PM
I think this is your post, distilled. They can, of course, with DM approval. But in any given established game world, when you start your game fresh, has anyone else? Some have, but not many. How many spells are there with names attached? A fraction of them.

They are few, and although some are still alive, their spells made it into the lexicon centuries ago. Err, not the Greyhawk that I saw. The Circle of Eight were mostly still alive, or died very recently. Maybe you played with a DM who set the timeline forward a few hundred years for some reason? But I think that's not the default.

Anyway, what Greyhawk did is set player expectations. The fact that Melf was just someone's PC and yet Melf has several spells with his name on them in the lexicon means the players can expect their characters to contribute a few spells, too.

In my experience, players feel really good about that.

There's just more Faerun material out there, especially in 3.5. There are more cockroaches than humans, and more bacteria than anything else on the planet. Quantity doesn't imply value.

The Eberron setting has its own spells, but it's more focused on the other aspects that you mentioned: binding things, the new races, the artifact level items, infusions, and all that.

I'm away from my books, but are any of the setting specific spells named after anyone?

As for the renaissance, I had thought that was before the war... my understanding was that much knowledge was lost during that time, and the countries involved are still recovering. There probably was some lost knowledge. But the war was also a time of innovation, creating things like sapient Warforged, and advancing magitech production such that low-level spells are widely available to even poor commoners.

There are lost empires to explore and ruins to plunder, but there's also a new middle class which is economically flourishing in the post-war peace.

I don't recall any named spells in Eberron.

unseenmage
2018-07-10, 02:21 PM
I seem to remember an awful lot of unique, possibly new, spells in the WotC web archives, Dragon magazines, and published adventures. A recurring trope or theme of them even.

That Eberron has so many spells that uniquely interact with Warforged implies current innovation to me.

Bronk
2018-07-10, 02:27 PM
I seem to remember an awful lot of unique, possibly new, spells in the WotC web archives, Dragon magazines, and published adventures. A recurring trope or theme of them even.

I do love most of those spells! Those are pretty unique too, not like 'Tasha's Hideous Laughter' or 'Otto's Irresistible Dance', which the description of a number of fey abilities implies that they were just copying off of them.

That Eberron has so many spells that uniquely interact with Warforged implies current innovation to me.

Although, those might have all come out pre-war, when the warforged were being created.

unseenmage
2018-07-10, 02:32 PM

Although, those might have all come out pre-war, when the warforged were being created.
Thus my hedging tone at their mention. I am not quite familiar enough with the Eberron timeline to confidently proclaim one way or the other. Just putting the thought out there.

Though, that war is still recent history and within living memory for many. The folks who did the innovating are certainly still kicking about and as old habits die hard it's a good bet they're still innovating, though hopefully with slightly more restraint. (Heh, fat chance.)

Darth Ultron
2018-07-10, 02:45 PM
Do you have anything to back that up?

Tons.

I think, especially in 3.5 where we're told that magic has basically been stagnant for thousands of years, this isn't a thing.

Where did you see this in 3.5E? A rulebook?

The vague, but not really stated idea, is that D&D takes place in the ''Dark Ages''...that is on Earth after the fall of Rome. The idea is a LOT of the stuff the Roman Empire knew, was ''lost'' to most of Western Europe(but note not the East or Asia). D&D takes that vague idea that ''in the past their was a great magical world that fell''.

But, again, this is never really ''put in print'', and they never say ''stagnant for thousands of years''.

I've never seen this sort of situation in a DnD novel either... that's what makes this situation and this thread so interesting to me.

Well, you need to read more novels. Any Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms novel with a spellcaster main character should have this in thier....even more so the ones from the 80's and 90's. In piticular you can look for any Ed Greenwood novel and this is very often a theme for all of his spellcasters: they are always looking for new spells or making new spells.

Yes, most settings have setting specific spells named after the people that made them. And a lot of them are ''modern spells'' too.

Eberron does not have named spells, as it is the Anti- Forgotten Realms Setting, and the Forgotten Realms has tons and tons and tons of named spells.

Bronk
2018-07-10, 02:58 PM
Thus my hedging tone at their mention. I am not quite familiar enough with the Eberron timeline to confidently proclaim one way or the other. Just putting the thought out there.

Though, that war is still recent history and within living memory for many. The folks who did the innovating are certainly still kicking about and as old habits die hard it's a good bet they're still innovating, though hopefully with slightly more restraint. (Heh, fat chance.)

I'm not super familiar with it either. I looked it up, and it looks like the war ended a couple of years before the campaign's starting date, although it did last for a full century. That's still not too too long for an elf.

Going back to your first post, I like the idea of the permissive spells. "Hey, do you sling fireballs but can only center them on grid intersections while the next guy seems to put his wherever? Well do I have a spell for you!"