PDA

View Full Version : So, what to do next

ZorroGames
2018-07-05, 11:11 AM
My first 5e character was/is a Mountain Dwarf Monk.

BLUF - what is my next move/plan for this character?

Currently 5th level OH.

ST 10
DE 16
CH 16
IN 8
WI 16
CH 10

43 hp
+1 Quarterstaff, Acrobatics, Arcana (Sage,) History (See Arcana,) Stealth.
9750 XP.

1121 GP.

So here are my options at this point:

A) MC Cleric for Spells and Domain spells. Knowledge, Life, Nature, Tempest, War, Arcana, Forge, Grave all could fit in the character’s story easily.

B) MC Ranger Hunter Beast Master, Gloom Stalker all could fit the story with little effort.

C) MC Rogue Assassain has some merit, Scout, Swashbuckler would fit nicely.

D) just keep hitting stuff as a Monk. TBH that does not seem terribly creative or create an interesting story line.

And before anyone says, “You only play AL, why the role play/story concern,” let me just say that AL is common and easy here, my private party playing has simply been dreadful, and I started with OD&D so those are just part of my playing style.

So let those with appropriate insight tell me what you think of the “Four Final Answers” options I have asked about, please.

Anymage
2018-07-05, 11:16 AM
You don't need a complicated build in order to be interesting, and aiming for cute tricks for the sake of cute tricks sounds like it'll either annoy upcoming DMs or leading to you focusing too much on one shtick.

Networking among people you meet through AL to get a new group together sounds like it might be a useful thing to go for. But at the moment, there's a lot to be said for simplicity if this is indeed your first 5e character. I recommend staying monk just to stay simple, in fact.

Unoriginal
2018-07-05, 11:22 AM
Well, you showed their stats, but who is your character? What is their personality/backstory/current circumstances like?

Also, why do you think being an Open Hand Monk only wouldn't fit the character? It brought them to this level, didn't it?

ZorroGames
2018-07-05, 11:28 AM
You don't need a complicated build in order to be interesting, and aiming for cute tricks for the sake of cute tricks sounds like it'll either annoy upcoming DMs or leading to you focusing too much on one shtick.

Networking among people you meet through AL to get a new group together sounds like it might be a useful thing to go for. But at the moment, there's a lot to be said for simplicity if this is indeed your first 5e character. I recommend staying monk just to stay simple, in fact.

It was my original character but not my only one. Played D&D since the 1970s with a break around 3.x so simplicity is not my primary concern.

Have an Earth Genasi 5th Level BM, a 4th level F(EK,) F1/WI2, a Ranger 3, F1/Life Cleric 2, and a Pal 2/Sorc 1 currently in the 5e stable.

Lack of clarity/detail on my part.

ZorroGames
2018-07-05, 11:48 AM
Well, you showed their stats, but who is your character? What is their personality/backstory/current circumstances like?

Also, why do you think being an Open Hand Monk only wouldn't fit the character? It brought them to this level, didn't it?

Sage (Astronomer) background, went adventuring when found life was a bit too routine.

Personality Trait “There is nothing I like more than a good mystery.”

Ideal “The path to,power and self-improvement is through knowledge.”

Bond “I have been Searching my whole life for the answerto a Certain question.” The question (see equipment) is in a letter from a dead colleague, ‘Who created the gods?”

Flaw “Most people scream and run when they see a demon. I stop and takes notes on its anatomy.”

Fought with my fellow adventurers - a Chimera, went (not willingly) HTH with Yetis, Giant Lions, Shadows, gargoyles, Lizard Folk, Kobolds, multiple groups of Bandits, Scarecrow, Needle Blights, Displacer Beasts, Earth Elementals, the usual goblins/orcs/Half Ogres/Orog/Orc Eye of Gruumsh, Owlbears... the usual stuff. And took the usual damage in the process.

Flint Dankil likes to try new things. His Sifu always criticized his interests outside of “The Art” as distracting him from what she considered important.

Vogie
2018-07-05, 11:57 AM
I am leaning toward you MC'ing rogue... however, I'd suggest Inquisitive than the 3 you've mentioned. That keys off of Wisdom, which gives you the most mechanical bang for your stats. You would have to drop the Quarterstaff for a Shortsword (or dagger), sadly, because you can't sneak attack without a finesse weapon, and those are the only monk weapons that would fit.

Alternatively, if you'd like an option 5, Maybe look into druid? You still can key into your unarmed strikes while wild shaped, in addition to having a strong spellcasting stat. Some options:

Moon for better wild shape options
Dream for Support/Utility
Land for Blasting/Utility
If you weren't playing AL, a dip in Spore or Twilight Druid would be really interesting.

ZorroGames
2018-07-05, 12:02 PM
Alas, he traded the +1 shortsword to a character who needed a finesse weapon in their game for the +1 Quarterstaff.

Edit: Not saying he lacks GP to buy one, just status quo. Oh, he does have a dagger too.

ZorroGames
2018-07-05, 12:06 PM
I am leaning toward you MC'ing rogue... however, I'd suggest Inquisitive than the 3 you've mentioned. That keys off of Wisdom, which gives you the most mechanical bang for your stats. You would have to drop the Quarterstaff for a Shortsword (or dagger), sadly, because you can't sneak attack without a finesse weapon, and those are the only monk weapons that would fit.

Alternatively, if you'd like an option 5, Maybe look into druid? You still can key into your unarmed strikes while wild shaped, in addition to having a strong spellcasting stat. Some options:

Moon for better wild shape options
Dream for Support/Utility
Land for Blasting/Utility
If you weren't playing AL, a dip in Spore or Twilight Druid would be really interesting.

Interestingly, the use of unarmed strikes in Wild Shape was discussed this week at an AL game and the DM said it at DM discretion, not RAW.

Have not followed up to check.

Seems every table has a Moon Druid lately so might be stepping on toes/roles.

Unoriginal
2018-07-05, 12:07 PM
I know you said "only discuss the 4 options", but is there a reason why you're not considering Bard? If you're interested in Rogue-y stuff, magic (like what the Cleric brings to the table) and more knowledge, Bard seems like a pretty good compromise.

KorvinStarmast
2018-07-05, 12:10 PM
Alas, he traded the +1 shortsword to a character who needed a finesse weapon in their game for the +1 Quarterstaff.

Edit: Not saying he lacks GP to buy one, just status quo. Oh, he does have a dagger too. I'd stick with monk until level 6. That way you don't need any magical weapon. Since this is AL, you might be able to trade that staff for something that fits a monk or cleric better.

Beyond that, I recommend Cleric, Knowledge, for your MC. That seems to fit your story. You'll end up waiting for level 10 to get your wisdom to 18 for spell casting (and for AC) boost, but you will end up with a decent mix of spells/support and ability to attack anything; stunning strike should now and again to help your allied take an enemy down.
IMO, the self healing feature of OH is almost too good to pass up. Saves on spell slots.
Wholeness of Body

At 6th level, you gain the ability to heal yourself. As an action, you can regain hit points equal
to three times your monk level. You must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-05, 12:11 PM
Sage (Astronomer) background, went adventuring when found life was a bit too routine.
Sounds like a Knowledge Cleric to me.

KorvinStarmast
2018-07-05, 12:13 PM
I know you said "only discuss the 4 options", but is there a reason why you're not considering Bard? If you're interested in Rogue-y stuff, magic (like what the Cleric brings to the table) and more knowledge, Bard seems like a pretty good compromise. Needs a 13 Charisma to MC into bard might be one problem ...

ZorroGames
2018-07-05, 12:37 PM
Needs a 13 Charisma to MC into bard might be one problem ...

That and the local AL tables seem more roll play than Role play most nights. Finally saw Bard listed in a sign up on Warhorn, have to see how that character worked. Guess when you need to finish a game in 3 1/2 hours some stuff suffers.

And when I talked about a Bard dipping Paladin for two levels everyone was, “Non, no, no, you really want Sorcerer or Warlock with a Paladin dip...”. Good, even great, MCs but not what I was talking about.

ZorroGames
2018-07-05, 12:42 PM

BTW, “cute tricks” along with being demeaning in tone is based on ignorance of my character’s story.

If I was focusing on one schtick I would not MC.

Do not act like an ass, okay?

Unoriginal
2018-07-05, 01:11 PM
Needs a 13 Charisma to MC into bard might be one problem ...

Uh, it seems I misread, there is two things called CH in OP's post.

Vogie
2018-07-05, 01:11 PM
Interestingly, the use of unarmed strikes in Wild Shape was discussed this week at an AL game and the DM said it at DM discretion, not RAW.

Have not followed up to check.

Seems every table has a Moon Druid lately so might be stepping on toes/roles.

So don't pick Moon.

Grab 3 levels into Desert druid and obliterate spellcasters by doing all of your OH fighting in a Silence zone, which they can't leave because they're stunned, prone, and silenced, and have Blur running as you're dancing around martial characters.

Or pick 2 levels in Shepherd druid, using the hawk totem to turn your reactions in to Advantage for yourself or others in your party, or be a DIY Healing Spirit with Unicorn Totem

You still can wild shape (and potentially deal unarmed strike damage, at DM discretion, evidently) into 1/4 CR creatures for both

I don't believe that's the case though, as the PHB errata called it out

Melee Attacks (p. 195). The rule on unarmed strikes should read as follows: “Instead of using a weapon to make a melee weapon attack, you can use an unarmed strike: a punch, kick, head-butt, or similar forceful blow (none of which count as weapons). On a hit, an unarmed strike deals bludgeoning damage equal to 1 + your Strength modifier. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes.”

An unarmed strike can replace any attack with a weapon. Since, when wild shaped, you use a monster's attacks,

The most common actions that a monster will take in combat are melee and ranged attacks. These can be spell attacks or weapon attacks, where the "weapon" might be a manufactured item or a natural weapon, such as a claw or tail spike. (Monster Manual, page 10)

Which also reflected in the spell Alter Self, where claws, et cetera, are also considered unarmed strikes

Natural Weapons. You grow claws, fangs, spines, horns, or a different natural weapon of your choice. Your unarmed strikes deal 1d6 bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage, as appropriate to the natural weapon you chose, and you are proficient with your unarmed strikes