PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Lets build a character that gets to roll all the damage dice

the_swiss_abyss
2018-07-05, 03:53 PM
This is my 1st thread creation on this forum, hopefully there are some like-minded people here to help.

Background: my crazy brain has too much time on its hands (lobes?) and I really enjoy creating niche character builds for XYZ reasons. Because of this approach they usually fall somewhere between derpy and unplayable; but are loads of fun to tinker with. I guess this thread is an anti-optimizer's challenge.

My challenge to you is: Can you create a 5e character that in one round, can use all the damage dice in the set? (thats 1d12 + 1d10 + 1d8 + 1d6 +1d4) Because why not have a character where all you have to do for an attack is empty your dice bag?

I thought I had a build, myself. Then right when I went to post this I re-read sneak-attack, and it invalidated my build!

Bonus points if: 1. you can make it AL legal 2. you can make it within the first couple tiers of play 3. you can do it in only a single attack action!!

Haldir
2018-07-05, 04:03 PM
This is my 1st thread creation on this forum, hopefully there are some like-minded people here to help.

Background: my crazy brain has too much time on its hands (lobes?) and I really enjoy creating niche character builds for XYZ reasons. Because of this approach they usually fall somewhere between derpy and unplayable; but are loads of fun to tinker with. I guess this thread is an anti-optimizer's challenge.

My challenge to you is: Can you create a 5e character that in one round, can use all the damage dice in the set? (thats 1d12 + 1d10 + 1d8 + 1d6 +1d4) Because why not have a character where all you have to do for an attack is empty your dice bag?

I thought I had a build, myself. Then right when I went to post this I re-read sneak-attack, and it invalidated my build!

Bonus points if: 1. you can make it AL legal 2. you can make it within the first couple tiers of play 3. you can do it in only a single attack action!!

If you allow friendly buffs it becomes a lot easier. Divine Favor adds a D4 and the like...

solidork
2018-07-05, 04:16 PM
This actually came up in a thread in the last few weeks but I don't remember which thread or what build they used.

Battlemaster 10/Ranger 3 gets you 1d12 (Greataxe) + 1d10 (Superiority Dice) + 1d8 (Colossus Slayer) + 1d6 (Hunter's Mark) then get someone to Enlarge you?

Edit: Or you could use Basic Poison.

2018-07-05, 04:17 PM
Doesn't count unless you can find a way to roll a d20 for damage.

Waterdeep Merch
2018-07-05, 04:19 PM
This actually came up in a thread in the last few weeks but I don't remember which thread or what build they used.

Battlemaster 10/Ranger 3 gets you 1d12 (Greataxe) + 1d10 (Superiority Dice) + 1d8 (Colossus Slayer) + 1d6 (Hunter's Mark) then get someone to Enlarge you?

Or instead of Ranger, add Whispers Bard 3 for Psychic Blades (2d6) and two levels of Paladin for Divine Smite (2d8+) and the spell Divine Favor (1d4).

Ta-da!

the_swiss_abyss
2018-07-05, 04:20 PM
If you allow friendly buffs it becomes a lot easier. Divine Favor adds a D4 and the like...

Thanks for responding :smallsmile:

I hadn't given any thought to other party members' actions, nor the potential of them using reactions, but this may be the only way to do it.

Divine Favour was integral to what I had been brewing. It went like this:

0) Preparation- A) Be a variant human and take Magic Initiate for Wizard or Warlock spells
B) Get a mount, and mount it!
C) Go after- in turn order- an ally, who remains within 5ft of the creature that is your victim

1) Move action to enemy
2) Activate action surge (1 x-tra attack)
3) Pop diving favour as bonus action
4) Use Battle Master to declare a Lunging attack
5) Use a lance to impale with a sneak attack
On a successful hit that 1d12 (lance) + 1d4 (favour) +1d8 (superiority) + 1d6 (sneak)
6) On a hit pop off Firebolt/Eldrich blast with your second attack action (1d10)

but you can't sneak attack with a lance using RAW... too bad because that would be amazing to RP.

the_swiss_abyss
2018-07-05, 04:21 PM

In what capacity is a d20 used for damage in 5e? Now i'm curious!

the_swiss_abyss
2018-07-05, 04:25 PM
Or instead of Ranger, add Whispers Bard 3 for Psychic Blades (2d6) and two levels of Paladin for Divine Smite (2d8+) and the spell Divine Favor (1d4).

Ta-da!

Thanks! and congrats for being clever. The way I way trying was going to go off at level 6-7. Too bad it doesn't work. Ah well, something that awesome shouldnt be available at that low level anyways I guess!

the_swiss_abyss
2018-07-05, 04:40 PM

Edit: Or you could use Basic Poison.

I had thought about using going the poison route but already had that die covered: or so I thought

Ventruenox
2018-07-05, 04:47 PM

Lucky feat to reroll the attack.

the_swiss_abyss
2018-07-05, 05:26 PM
Great. So if the DM let's us apply basic poison before combat, and we use Hunters Mark and the setup I proposed earlier, we can do it at lvl 5 with 2 in Ranger and 3 in Fighter. This will allow us to take lucky at the 4th level of fighter too!

2018-07-05, 05:43 PM
In what capacity is a d20 used for damage in 5e? Now i'm curious!

It isn't, blue-text is often used for sarcasm and humor on these boards. :smalltongue:

the_swiss_abyss
2018-07-05, 06:14 PM
It isn't, blue-text is often used for sarcasm and humor on these boards. :smalltongue:

Ahh good to know. Sorry noob to the forum! Although a cruel DM might be able to dish out something with d20's haha

Sorlock Master
2018-07-06, 12:34 AM
Warlock Hexblade with a Great Axe, 1d12, sigil of ill omen 1d8, at least 3 Sorc levels to quick cast Iceknife 1d10 and 1d6, elemental weapon for 1d4.

PS Also, animate objects could get it done without multiclass and in one turn, but not in one attack.

the_swiss_abyss
2018-07-06, 12:43 PM
Warlock Hexblade with a Great Axe, 1d12, sigil of ill omen 1d8, at least 3 Sorc levels to quick cast Iceknife 1d10 and 1d6, elemental weapon for 1d4.

PS Also, animate objects could get it done without multiclass and in one turn, but not in one attack.

Thanks for your take. 8th level is pretty good for this -and from what I hear, besides from the cheese we have going on- the Bladelock is a formidable foe for the rest of combat after our combo goes off.

I'll look into this. Out of all the suggestions, from a RP perspective it seems the most awesome; like a laissez faire Warlock/Sorc saunters out to the battlefield, unleashes an attack with ALL the damage dice, and then walks away like a badass.

I have dabbled in 5e sorcerer, but never Bladelock- I hear good things.

Looking at the number of spells though im guessing that you need one turn to set this up, and then you release the hate on your next turn. Am I correct on that?

solidork
2018-07-06, 01:45 PM
Stone Sorcerer 6/Hunter Ranger 3 gets it considerably earlier than the Battlemaster/Ranger build.

1d12 (Greataxe) + 1d10 (Stone Aegis reaction attack) + 1d8 (Colossus Slayer) + 1d6 (Hunter's Mark) + 1d4 (Poison)