PDA

View Full Version : Warlock’s Rod

WalterO’dim
2018-07-05, 04:17 PM
Question: Anyone want to theorize why the signature magic item for the warlock is a “rod”? Really, IMO, the “rod” or heavy cylinder seems foolish compared to the classic wand or staff. Any reason why the rod of the pact keeper can’t be a good old fashioned wand? Is it a power limitation?

JackPhoenix
2018-07-05, 04:20 PM
Because there's already plenty of staves and wands, and WotC wanted to make something different.

In the end, the difference is only cosmetical.

KorvinStarmast
2018-07-05, 04:23 PM
Another possibility goes back to the usage of the term warlock, which was in some parlance the male equivalent of witch (which has/had a heavily female connotation). The first time I heard warlock was in the late 60's, on a TV cartoon show on a Saturday morning.
I asked my dad "What's a warlock" and his reply was "Like a witch, but a man." In that cartoon, the warlock was being portrayed as the antagonist.
A few minutes later he turned off the TV. Time to do chores ...

I think usage has since changed ... but ...
if warlock has/had a heavy male connotation, then rod is apt as a favorite tool ... if a bit uncouth.

ErHo
2018-07-05, 04:38 PM
...Giggity

WalterO’dim
2018-07-05, 04:49 PM
I think usage has since changed ... but ...
if warlock has/had a heavy male connotation, then rod is apt as a favorite tool ... if a bit uncouth.

A WotC pen15 joke!!!

Seriously, would Voldemort kill so many for an “Elder Rod”? Probably not. Just doesn’t have the same cool factor.

MrStabby
2018-07-05, 04:57 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sceptre

They are all kind of related but the sceptre or rod has been a symbol of authority in a lot of cultures.

I also think that "rods" have been used in accounting - specifically a tally of debt in a lot of European/Mesopotamian cultures which may have had a little influence if a "pact" is seen a a debt (ok, not the case in rules but a possible connotation they may have been invoking)

Also see such examples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Rod

Unoriginal
2018-07-05, 05:26 PM
If you want a Watsonian explanation:

On of if not the most famous rod in D&D is probably the Ruby Rod of Asodeus. In 5e, Asmodeus was given the Ruby Rod by Primus, as way to impose the respect of deals and contracts in the Nine Hells, from the smallest to the biggest.

Given how Warlocks are attracted by the smallest supernatural junk, and both symbolism and imitation having their own forms of power, it's entirely possible they emulated Big Devil Supreme when considering the size of their tool.

Basically, Warlock are playing with their rods because they're thinking of Big D.

Segev
2018-07-05, 05:31 PM
Scepters fall into the "rod" category. So maybe it would help to think of it as a Warlock's Scepter?

SpanielBear
2018-07-05, 05:55 PM
From 16th to early 19th century in Europe, generals and high ranking military commanders would often have a rod or baton as a symbol of their position. As a symbol of power and control it's pretty thematic.

Additionally, such commanders would receive their rank (and therefore their baton) from a ruler who directed their actions and whose commands they (nominally) obeyed. Sounds familiar. :smallsmile:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/93/b0/94/93b094924c7e329417fa56f6a4c58193--male-clothing-in-italian.jpg

WalterO’dim
2018-07-05, 08:08 PM
Hahaha. Now I’m sold! I guess a scepter is not that bad.

Mith
2018-07-05, 10:50 PM
From 16th to early 19th century in Europe, generals and high ranking military commanders would often have a rod or baton as a symbol of their position. As a symbol of power and control it's pretty thematic.

Additionally, such commanders would receive their rank (and therefore their baton) from a ruler who directed their actions and whose commands they (nominally) obeyed. Sounds familiar. :smallsmile:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/93/b0/94/93b094924c7e329417fa56f6a4c58193--male-clothing-in-italian.jpg

Looking at that rod, I feel like Shillelagh should apply to rod strikes.

2D8HP
2018-07-05, 11:22 PM
:belkar: I sense a great disturbance... As if a thousand double entendres cried out, and were suddenly silenced...