PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Unarmed Monk Help

Moren
2018-07-05, 06:24 PM
So I'm working on a 3rd edition (not 3.5) dwarven monk and my main goal is to try and maximize the unarmed damage he can do. His stats are STR 12, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 16, and CHA 8 right now at level 4. I've also already taken the feats Weapon Finesse and Focus for unarmed. I have access to most of the prestiege class books except the one for rogues and bards. I looked at taking kensei from OA but the dm wasn't a fan and didn't think it fit our theme. I would appreciate any suggestions for him feat, multiclass, or PrC wise, otherwise I may just stay pure Monk for the d20 unarmed damage die later on.

I would also like to know what skills are worth investing in for making money (a dwarven monk is a little less pious than normal monks) or for utility.

Thanks for any help!

The Magister
2018-07-05, 06:41 PM
The Dirty Fighting feat from Sword and Fist provides an extra 1d4 damage on melee attacks, but it requires a full-attack. While it doesn't increase damage, Circle Kick is pretty nice, too.

CharonsHelper
2018-07-05, 08:43 PM
In 3.5 I remember a FAQ stating that you can use a gauntlet and get unarmed damage - the only drawback was that you couldn't go nonlethal. It should make enchanting the fist much cheaper. And I believe that you could stack them - so get the +5 on the gauntlet and add things like Shocking & Holy to your Amulet of Mighty Fists (if you can get a natural armor enchantment somewhere other than the neck slot).

In addition, Improved Natural Attack will make it so that you count as Large sized for your damage dice - which can be quite nice by mid level.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-05, 09:20 PM
I'm not sure if your DM will allow any sort of retraining, but the 1st level alternative class feature Draconic Fist (Dragon Magic p 12) is probably a better choice than Improved Grapple or Stunning Fist.

Improved Natural Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#improvedNaturalAttack) will give increase damage from your unarmed strikes to the equivalent of a Large sized monk.

If Tome of Battle is on the line, I would look into a dip into Swordsage. In particular, the Shadow Blade feat coupled with any Shadow Hand Stance nets you your DEX modifier to damage. ToB also has the feat Superior Unarmed Strike, which treats you as a monk four levels higher for unarmed damage.

If you stick with Stunning Fist, then you will want to pick up Freezing the Lifeblood (CW or OA) which allows you to outright paralyze opponents.

Of course, multiclassing in Psychic Warrior and then taking the Tashalatora feat (Secrets of Sarlona) is another popular build.

Fist of the Forest (CC) is a nice prestige option that gives CON to AC, additional fast movement, another step increase in unarmed damage, and a bunch of other goodies. The only real drawback is you have to embrace a wild lifestyle.

EDIT:
...3rd edition (not 3.5)...Sorry, totally missed that. I'm changing my advice to Don't Play a Monk. If your DM thinks the 3.5 monk stuff is OP, then you're not going to be able to do very much with it.

Zaq
2018-07-06, 02:22 PM
Are you only allowed to use 3.0 material and 3.0 books? Or are you able to use 3.5 material, just with the 3.0 class structure for the Monk?

Moren
2018-07-06, 02:43 PM
Are you only allowed to use 3.0 material and 3.0 books? Or are you able to use 3.5 material, just with the 3.0 class structure for the Monk?

Well the DM has told me that 3.5 stuff is acceptable and that he can work it in, it's just that a lot of the stuff I've been shown is stuff that he would consider OP. I showed him the superior unarmed strike feat and he thought it was more powerful than it probably is for a monk. I'm open to suggestions, it's just that the group along with him all think the monk is OP because of how good it looks on paper, but from everything I've read, my monk will probably lag behind at one point or another.

CharonsHelper
2018-07-06, 03:16 PM
I'm open to suggestions, it's just that the group along with him all think the monk is OP because of how good it looks on paper, but from everything I've read, my monk will probably lag behind at one point or another.

Yes - the 3.5 monk is weak - the 3.0 one is pretty terrible. Frankly - if you can convince them, try to get them to let you play Pathfinder's Unchained Monk. It's the only 3.x/PF version which works well out of the box. (You can make a core Pathfinder monk work with archetypes etc. - but it's trickier.)

But - if they're at the level of optimization where they think that the 3.0 monk is good then you might be able to keep up with sufficient optimizing.

Curious - what does the rest of the group look like? One of the key of a monk working at low level is getting Mage Armor cast on them pretty consistently so that they don't die horribly. And with their flurry of misses and how MAD they are, monks benefit more from buffing than other martials.

Eldariel
2018-07-06, 03:24 PM
Well the DM has told me that 3.5 stuff is acceptable and that he can work it in, it's just that a lot of the stuff I've been shown is stuff that he would consider OP. I showed him the superior unarmed strike feat and he thought it was more powerful than it probably is for a monk. I'm open to suggestions, it's just that the group along with him all think the monk is OP because of how good it looks on paper, but from everything I've read, my monk will probably lag behind at one point or another.

Well, the thing is, the worst level for Monk is level 1. The further you go, the less comparatively terrible you are compared to other martials. You'll still lag behind, but possibly not as much. That's really down to the group power level. But already out of the gates, going Strength-focus is better than Dex-focus, since it allows you to make use of your combat maneuvers (notably Trip) and also Str is added to damage by default (which with longterm scaling is pretty huge). You'll lose out on some AC but that's a necessary trade for damage.

Basically though, you want to maximize your size (Enlarge Person, Polymorph Other (Firbolg is a good permanent form), Improved Natural Attack [Monster Manual], etc.) and unarmed damage dice (Monk's Belt, Monk's Tattoo, Superior Unarmed Strike, etc.) and attack count (Haste, Snap Kick, etc.). Then a lot of to hit bonuses (big ones like Law Devotion [Complete Champion] and company) because your #1 problem is Monks have a terrible attack bonus for warriors. They try to make up for it with extra attacks but that amounts to nothing without massive to hit bonuses. Firbolg (or any big strong thing) Polymorph would of course go a long way towards correcting that.

ShurikVch
2018-07-07, 07:05 PM
Note: if it's 3.0 Monk, then it should get special unarmed BAB - it progressing 3/4 (as usual), but you will get extra attacks at every 3rd point (not 6th, as everybody else). And no - it isn't the Flurry of Blows - it's before the Flurry.