PDA

View Full Version : How do I make enemies not want to be next to me?

ATHATH
2018-07-05, 08:11 PM
I'm planning an Arcane Trickster Rogue build based on the Sentinel and War Caster feats (and possibly a Fighter 1 or 3 level dip (I dunno if the Riposte is worth taking two more levels in Fighter). Right now, I'm brainstorming ideas on how to make enemies run away from me while in melee range so that I can hit them with opportunity attacks (and other neat things), and I'm wondering if the Playground has any ideas.

Oh, and while I'm here, some questions:
1. War Caster still eats your reaction if you have the Sentinel feat, right?
2. Can an enemy decide to stop their movement early if they get hit with a Booming Blade opportunity attack as they try to run away from me?
3. Is taking two more levels of Fighter for Riposte worth it? It DOES look tempting, seeing as how it can be used 4 times per short rest, but I have a feeling that I'd still burn through uses of Riposte a bit too quickly.

Vessyra
2018-07-05, 11:41 PM
1. Yes
2. I don't think that an enemy could. This is because an opportunity attack occurs the instant before they leave your reach, meaning that they would finish moving away instantly after the BB. However, sentinel feat reduces their speed to 0, meaning that the enemy would be forced to stop by your own ability.
3. It would take three level. Riposte is very powerful, and given that you'll be using your reactions for other things as well as riposte, you'll have your superiority die uses spread throughout the day. Not sure if its worth 3 levels, though.
How to provoke opportunity attacks... the fear spell would do it, although it's high level. You could get creative with phantasmal force, to in order to get your foes running. Cause fear could be handy, either in getting the enemies to run away or in getting them to attack a creature other than you (thus setting off sentinel)

RSP
2018-07-06, 12:09 AM
2. Can an enemy decide to stop their movement early if they get hit with a Booming Blade opportunity attack as they try to run away from me?

Yes. The enemy still gets to decide what they do after the attack occurs, same as players can for their PCs. 5e doesn’t have a declaration phase; you can adjust your turn/actions on the fly.

Think of it like this: if a Player states their character moves forward 30’, but after 10’ they notice a hidden trap or enemy; do they still need to continue the full 30’ or can they adjust to the new information?

bid
2018-07-06, 12:19 AM
3. Is taking two more levels of Fighter for Riposte worth it? It DOES look tempting, seeing as how it can be used 4 times per short rest, but I have a feeling that I'd still burn through uses of Riposte a bit too quickly.
Riposte is an extra SA, same as sentinel. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

And BM 4 is an ASI, BM 5 is extra attack which frees your CA. Beyond that, BM 6 for resilient(Wis) is the same as rogue 15, so no gain.

sithlordnergal
2018-07-06, 12:32 AM
Hmmm...if you can somehow get Dissonant Whispers, that would force enemies to run away while giving you an opportunity attack. Unfortunately, the only way to get that is with a level of Bard, and you'll be stuck casting it off your Charisma. Other then that...the Fear spell is about the only thing I can think of.

CTurbo
2018-07-06, 12:34 AM
A Rogue with Sentinel and Riposte is strong. You won't need them to run from you. Just go stand next to your party brute and you'll use your reaction to attack every round.

Add Warcaster and Booming Blade to the equation and you'll dish out some serious damage.

Blacky the Blackball
2018-07-06, 02:10 AM
You could try eating lots of raw garlic and never washing. Very few enemies will want to be next to you then.

sophontteks
2018-07-06, 07:07 AM
You have teammates. They can make the enemy run away from you. A bard with dissonate whispers and fear will do it far better then you can.

JeffreyGator
2018-07-06, 12:11 PM
You have teammates. They can make the enemy run away from you. A bard with dissonate whispers and fear will do it far better then you can.

Stand next to the cleric with spirit guardians up. They can run from you or the cleric - or eat more guardians in their face.

Kyrinthic
2018-07-06, 12:19 PM
The standard combo for this build is mobility. Dont worry about them moving away from you, you move away from them. They either sit still and do nothing, or move and trigger the boom, and if they move to you, you get sentinel as well.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-07-06, 01:04 PM
Have you tried scaring them? I

Sigreid
2018-07-06, 01:05 PM
Refuse to bathe.

Platypusbill
2018-07-06, 01:15 PM
Well, if you make your character super tanky, you can discourage enemies attacking you. You could, for instance, get Blur or Mirror Image or both, though they are level 2 spells and require an action to cast. Anyway, either they are stuck fighting you and miss most of their attacks, or they run past you and eat massively damaging attacks of opportunity.

Malifice
2018-07-06, 01:17 PM
Fart.

The stinkier the better.