PDA

View Full Version : Delaying ST/CO 20s

ZorroGames
2018-07-05, 09:39 PM
Theorycrafting a Mtn. Dwf. For someone. Champion. Background Acolyte.

ST 17
DE 10
CO 17
IN 8
WI 14
CH 8

Level four use +1, +1 to bring ST and CO to 18s.

How long can/should the character delay ST 20 and CO 20? Thinking Shield Master and Magic Initiate Cleric for Toll the Dead, Word of Radiance, and Shield of Faith. One ASI/Feat TBD.

A disciple of my insanity!

Arkhios
2018-07-05, 11:00 PM
18 is already ridiculously good for just about any character. You can leave both str and con at 18 for the rest of your career. Or at the very least, con. Between d10 and d8 hit dice, the difference in hit points is only ~1 point/level; likewise between 18 and 20, it's a solid 1/level. For anything else, difference of 1 (one) point on a roll is vanishingly small, given the bounded accuracy.

JellyPooga
2018-07-06, 02:19 AM
18 is already ridiculously good for just about any character. You can leave both str and con at 18 for the rest of your career. Or at the very least, con. Between d10 and d8 hit dice, the difference in hit points is only ~1 point/level; likewise between 18 and 20, it's a solid 1/level. For anything else, difference of 1 (one) point on a roll is vanishingly small, given the bounded accuracy.

This. While 20 in your primary ability score in 5ed is nice, it is by no means essential, especially when that primary has little or minimal utility outside of combat (i.e. Strength or Intelligence). How long can you delay Str 20? Indefinitely. 18 is good enough for even the highest level of play. If magic items are in play, a Belt of X-Giant Strength will trump your natural Str anyway.

Arkhios
2018-07-06, 02:35 AM
If magic items are in play, a Belt of X-Giant Strength will trump your natural Str anyway.

Although, to be fair (assuming it ever gets to that), those belts still don't make you any more difficult to get down with strength damage (such as by a Shadow; if your natural strength falls to 0, you die) :P

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-06, 08:52 AM
To be honest, I'd be tempted to take a feat at 4th and put off the first ASI until 6th or even 8th-- as Arkhios mentioned, a 17 vs an 18 is not terribly noticeable, and feats are a lot more fun.

ZorroGames
2018-07-06, 12:05 PM
Thanks, passed ithe advice on to other person.