PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 5e Epic Levels

Protato
2018-07-05, 10:09 PM
While I know there's Epic Boons, I was wondering what I might do for epic levels? Right now, my party is level 10 except one character for having the gall to fight a Shadowwalker at level 7, she's now level 11. I was wondering. When the party got to level 20 (as is planned to happen, the party fights a lot of monsters and there's easily enough plot threads to take them to level 20), I was wondering what to do for proficiency bonuses and ability scores. Ideally, a maximum of 30 points in a score (the hard cap) should be possible by maybe level 30. Also, what to do with cantrips, spell slots and class features? Or, instead of increasing their class level, they mutliclass (i.e I've got a L5 Mystic/L5 Bard right now with maxed out Wisdom and Charisma, she could just keep progressing in these classes) and gain the cantrip scaling/proficiency bonuses. These are my ideas thus far, but I'd like to have a more concrete example by the time they finally get there.

Doug Lampert
2018-07-05, 11:10 PM
While I know there's Epic Boons, I was wondering what I might do for epic levels? Right now, my party is level 10 except one character for having the gall to fight a Shadowwalker at level 7, she's now level 11. I was wondering. When the party got to level 20 (as is planned to happen, the party fights a lot of monsters and there's easily enough plot threads to take them to level 20), I was wondering what to do for proficiency bonuses and ability scores. Ideally, a maximum of 30 points in a score (the hard cap) should be possible by maybe level 30. Also, what to do with cantrips, spell slots and class features? Or, instead of increasing their class level, they mutliclass (i.e I've got a L5 Mystic/L5 Bard right now with maxed out Wisdom and Charisma, she could just keep progressing in these classes) and gain the cantrip scaling/proficiency bonuses. These are my ideas thus far, but I'd like to have a more concrete example by the time they finally get there.

You probably don't want to create additional class features, which means if boons aren't good enough for you then you should probably have forced multiclassing with little or no increase in spell slots above what you get for caster 20.

Proficiency bonuses can match what monsters get for higher CRs. Maximum attributes can be set equal to level or level +4 for a barbarian's Con and Str (hard cap of 30).

Vessyra
2018-07-05, 11:26 PM
You can't have more than 20 levels. Instead, you get an extra epic boons every time you would level up (which is after 35,000ish XP). Spell slots can be increased with epic boons. That's the rules, at least. Were you looking for the rules, or home-brew?

Sigreid
2018-07-06, 06:55 AM
I posted this before but my group will let you take class and subclass features, one at a time, from other classes and subclasses. You have to work your way up from the level 1 abilities. So, for example, if the wizard wants to be an arch mage he could eventually get all of the wizard subclass features. Since we don't track xp, whenever the DM is ready for you to level, pick a feature.

Sariel Vailo
2018-07-06, 04:21 PM
Here is one for eventual god hood.http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?523097-An-Epic-Rules-attempt#post21954740 (click the link for th op)
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?412968-5e-Epic-Classes-%28levels-21-30%29(so ok this one needs balance for a paladin.)

Mith
2018-07-06, 06:13 PM
I posted this before but my group will let you take class and subclass features, one at a time, from other classes and subclasses. You have to work your way up from the level 1 abilities. So, for example, if the wizard wants to be an arch mage he could eventually get all of the wizard subclass features. Since we don't track xp, whenever the DM is ready for you to level, pick a feature.

How have you found that to work for you?