PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Welp I broke My DM

Xrposiedon
2018-07-06, 02:35 AM
This just happened....Please share your stories if you have them.

I am playing a Level 5 champion Human -- Rolled for Stats. -- Put my ASI into STR

1) For this story, you just need to know I have a 20 Str already...and 5 Int.

2) I also have a Frostbrand Greatsword. 2d6+ 1d6 Cold.

3)Feat at lvl 1, Great Weapon Master. -5 to hit, +10 dmg

We are fighting a Stone Giant and my dumb character uses everything he can on the first encounter ...every time.

I get hasted first round by our Wizard.

I run up, unleash 2 attacks, followed by 2 haste attacks, followed by action surge, 2 more attacks.

I hit on 5 of them, 1 of those being a critical. ---thus using the GWM bonus attack and landing again.

6 Hits with GWM --- 60 damage
+ 6 hits with +5 Str mod = 30 more damage
Followed by the rolls, (Rerolling 1's and 2's) - I ended up doing 179 damage....

This was supposed to be our boss fight....DM = not happy.

Belthien
2018-07-06, 02:49 AM
You can only do 1 attack with the hasted action. Rest looks legit though. You've made a character who is pretty much only combat focussed, he let you roll a 17 or 18 for stats, has allowed variant humans, has allowed feats, and has allowed picking one of the most powerful feats at level 1. These are optional rules that can make pcs much more powerful. The wizard used his whole turn to buff you and you burned action surge. The DM might need to adapt to knowing that this is what you do! He can throw a few wisdom saves at you and you're out though.

CrownWBG
2018-07-06, 02:49 AM
Nice. Remember haste only gives 1 more attack regardless of any 'extra attack' feature.
But pretending that was the missed attack, it would not have changed anything. :)
I'm more surprised you hit on so many attacks with the -5 to hit! But nice rolls.

Xrposiedon
2018-07-06, 02:53 AM
Nice. Remember haste only gives 1 more attack regardless of any 'extra attack' feature.
But pretending that was the missed attack, it would not have changed anything. :)
I'm more surprised you hit on so many attacks with the -5 to hit! But nice rolls.

I rolled like 16 17 15 19 4 14 -- then 17 again on the bonus.

Good to know I lose 1 attack though....but eh we allowed it this time. I'll let him know next time.

Next comes 2 levels of barb for reckless =).

This is a VERY homebrew game though, we have a variant dragon rider in it right now and a psionicist

Unoriginal
2018-07-06, 03:01 AM
Wait, your DM had the boss battle be the first of the day?

MrStabby
2018-07-06, 05:21 AM
I am more surprised the DM gives magic items as low as level 5.

As pointed out it is the work of two characters, using as many resources as they can (a level 3 spell at level 5 is pretty significant) and you did roll well. Sometimes fights will just be easy - the way things roll.

opaopajr
2018-07-06, 05:53 AM
The stars were right! :smallcool:

And your PC ran at optimum, with lots of system perks turned on, with party cooperation, versus a lonesome solo BBEG (big bad evil guy). Stuff working as intended (even if the GM deliberately overlooked it). Good job!

Bask now... :smallcool:

Exocist
2018-07-06, 06:16 AM
I am more surprised the DM gives magic items as low as level 5.

As pointed out it is the work of two characters, using as many resources as they can (a level 3 spell at level 5 is pretty significant) and you did roll well. Sometimes fights will just be easy - the way things roll.

From lurking forums, it was my understanding that most people tended to hand out a +1 weapon around level 3/4ish

In games with the groups I've played with, magic item acquisition has been as follows:

Game 1 (levels 1-14, finished): 0 magic items
Game 2 (ongoing): DM handed out depowered legendary items early (level 4) and has been upgrading them throughout the campaign.
Game 3 (levels 1-11, ongoing): We literally just got magic items one level ago because we rescued a dude who happens to sell magic items for a living. I got a Deck of Many Things by asking for it, though I don't really consider that a legit magic item.

Sigreid
2018-07-06, 06:46 AM
From lurking forums, it was my understanding that most people tended to hand out a +1 weapon around level 3/4ish

In games with the groups I've played with, magic item acquisition has been as follows:

Game 1 (levels 1-14, finished): 0 magic items
Game 2 (ongoing): DM handed out depowered legendary items early (level 4) and has been upgrading them throughout the campaign.
Game 3 (levels 1-11, ongoing): We literally just got magic items one level ago because we rescued a dude who happens to sell magic items for a living. I got a Deck of Many Things by asking for it, though I don't really consider that a legit magic item.

That really depends on the group. In the past couple of editions there was some vocal complaining about the magic item treadmill. Basically the idea that you needed a constant stream of new and more powerful magic items to keep up with the game's expectations. 5e is designed to be playable with no magic items if that's what a table wants. Works just fine with all the magics though. The DM just has to adjust to the power level he has provided. Lots of tables enjoy there being lots of magic items. Mine does.

Laserlight
2018-07-06, 06:59 AM
My story: we advance across a room. Two fire elementals appear, roll initiative. A couple of our melee guys move up but can't get into contact. My Sorc casts Twinned Banish. The End.

Story 2: In SKT you can get a ride with an airship which is basically defenseless and subject to random encounters (Featherfall highly recommended). A dragon started an encounter within breath range and took half our hit points before we got to act. The other characters shot arrows while moaning "we're all going to die! " Eventually we got to my initiative. "We're 1000 feet in the air? I cast Polymorph. You're a fish. Oh, and Portent, so your saving throw is a 5." That didn't kill the dragon but the DM was shocked enough that the dragon decided not to try it again.

Theodoxus
2018-07-06, 07:24 AM
My story:

Joined an AL game, second session for the party, first for me, running Princes of the Apocalypse. Group runs into my noble fighter on the road, decides they like the cut of my jib and invite me to travel with them. We're heading for some city, I'm not really paying a lot of attention, just listening to the party extol the escapades of their first session.

We smell the smoke of a campfire. The dragonborn ranger goes off into the forest to investigate. Doesn't come back immediately, so the rest of the party wanders into the woods, one by one. I get a definite Horror Movie vibe, so sit down on the far side of the road and wait.

Now, the party has encountered some bandits, the ranger snuck around to discover they had captured a bear, and was pretty angry, so started shooting folk at random. The rest of the party joins in, and I'm sitting on the road, oblivious. Until...

The DM, in an attempt to provoke me to fight, had a bandit wander onto the road "after relieving himself" and spotted me, so he ran over and took a swing. The DM rolled a 1 and a 2 on the advantage (as I was sitting). She ruled that he hadn't tied his pants sufficiently, they'd fallen down and got tangled in his feet. So my first thought was 'hmm, a butt naked bandit is standing above me, with his tallywacker in my face.' "I fellate him." Was my response.

I simultaneously broke my DM and found out that Sir Reginaldi Revelstoke was gay.

Fortunately, the bandit ended up my squire, and my bedmate... unfortunately, I never got a chance to play Sir Reginaldi again, for reasons.

ImproperJustice
2018-07-06, 07:37 AM
I guess in the vein of frustrating the GM.

Party was exploring a jungle dungeon. I was playing my artificer and taking the lead on trap springing. Unfortunately I goofed and got seperated from the party by a Wall of Flame Trap.
As I was evaluating how long I would be stuck (passed my Arcana check to track 1 minute), a Dopplegagnger emerged presumably to take me out and hoin the party).

I think the GM expected a deadly 1 on 1 battle.
Instead, I just cast Sanctuary and told the guy: “You are gonna be in so much trouble when my friends come through in about a minute.”
He managed to get a lick in on my twice, which was easily healed with a healer’s draught.

Party came through, some hijinks ensues on figuring out who was real, and there ya go.

Later in the same dungeon there was a challenged where we had to play some mayan version of soccer. We won, because the team assigned me as a goalie. As the other team was about to score, my Artificer produced an iron door from his Robe of Useful items and proceeded to seal off the goal.

GM looked up and said (in a friendly way): One of the things I like about playing with you, is you never cease to suprise me. :)

ZenBear
2018-07-06, 08:07 AM
My story: my girlfriend at the time wanted to play D&D for the first time, so we joined a game together. We played two married dwarves, and when I introduced us to the party in character I kissed her on the cheek and said, “My name is Dougal, and this is my wife Amber. She is my cousin!” The DM did an actual spit take. It was amazing.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-07-06, 09:09 AM
My story: my girlfriend at the time wanted to play D&D for the first time, so we joined a game together. We played two married dwarves, and when I introduced us to the party in character I kissed her on the cheek and said, “My name is Dougal, and this is my wife Amber. She is my cousin!” The DM did an actual spit take. It was amazing.

One of you should have been a bard who played the banjo, and the other have a skill with a distiller's kit so you could make moonshine at every long rest.

Danielqueue1
2018-07-06, 10:45 AM
yeah, BBEG fighting solo, against fully rested party, who work together, have magic weapons, and happen to have rolled really well.

If the fight was later in the day, the wizard might not have had the 3rd level spell to use,
if the BBEG didn't fight alone the minions in the way could have absorbed alot of that.
if haste was checked on it might have hit with one less attack, but that's still nice.
if you hadn't rolled quite as well, or the BBEG had better armor those would have been misses and you wouldn't have done nearly as much.

the stars lined up. and you took full advantage. just hope the dm isn't the type who will pull out the xanathar's int-save spells as revenge. because with that INT score, they are basically auto hit.

Sorlock Master
2018-07-06, 11:26 AM
This just happened....Please share your stories if you have them.

I am playing a Level 5 champion Human -- Rolled for Stats. -- Put my ASI into STR

1) For this story, you just need to know I have a 20 Str already...and 5 Int.

2) I also have a Frostbrand Greatsword. 2d6+ 1d6 Cold.

3)Feat at lvl 1, Great Weapon Master. -5 to hit, +10 dmg

We are fighting a Stone Giant and my dumb character uses everything he can on the first encounter ...every time.

I get hasted first round by our Wizard.

I run up, unleash 2 attacks, followed by 2 haste attacks, followed by action surge, 2 more attacks.

I hit on 5 of them, 1 of those being a critical. ---thus using the GWM bonus attack and landing again.

6 Hits with GWM --- 60 damage
+ 6 hits with +5 Str mod = 30 more damage
Followed by the rolls, (Rerolling 1's and 2's) - I ended up doing 179 damage....

Really not all that impressive, you hit with way more attacks then you should have and did way above average damage. It was more you got super lucky then anything.

Hitting with 85% of your attacks when you should hit with 30%, then you apparently rolled in the 82nd percentile for damage.

the stars lined up. and you took full advantage. just hope the dm isn't the type who will pull out the xanathar's int-save spells as revenge. because with that INT score, they are basically auto hit.

I was also thinking this. An inexperienced DM might think you need more of a challenge. And Downing a CR 7 creature in 1 turn might mean he needs to up the CR to 10 or 11 which will result in a TOO more then likely.

Xrposiedon
2018-07-06, 02:12 PM
yeah, BBEG fighting solo, against fully rested party, who work together, have magic weapons, and happen to have rolled really well.

If the fight was later in the day, the wizard might not have had the 3rd level spell to use,
if the BBEG didn't fight alone the minions in the way could have absorbed alot of that.
if haste was checked on it might have hit with one less attack, but that's still nice.
if you hadn't rolled quite as well, or the BBEG had better armor those would have been misses and you wouldn't have done nearly as much.

Yea its our maybe 8th session. We are progressing really fast. The last fight was a type of "trial" to get into our next adventure zone area. We knew we had to go past this trial, but didnt know what else was in the room.

The boss was all cocky, talked crap before we fought him, and we just said screw it...and engaged, and ended it very quickly.
The DM was thinking, hey...ill at least get a hit in or two, take some guy down. Nope.

We only have a party of 4. Wizard, Dragon Rider, Me, and A Psionic guy. He figured a CR 7 would do the trick.

He has tried mobs of creatures, but we got them grouped up and fireballed them / some type of psionic mind storm thing.
He has tried to disable us but somehow we make the saves.

My Stats are:
20 Str
16 Con
15 Dex
10 Cha
12 Wis
5 Int

I am the only person in the party who has a magical item as of now. In this land, we get one magical item per "level" of the zone. It is 9 gates of trials we are progressing through.

To get this sword, it was in a frozen "block of ice" .....turns out, as we melted said block of ice, it was actually a gelatinous cube which we thawed. It has been fun so far...but this encounter really made my DM rethink his bosses.

I just think its pretty crazy how much damage a lvl 5 could "potentially do". I have never seen anything like this at this level...and was thoroughly amazed at what transpired.

Wryte
2018-07-07, 12:47 AM
Back in a 3.5 game, I was playing a pixie barbarian. I had already established myself as a bit of a hedonistic trollop from the get go, what with being a tiny flying woman with no particular regard for strange civilized concepts like "modesty," "clothes," or "self-restraint."

Our party was making our way through a manufactured dungeon as part of some kind of contest being held in the city we were in, encountering many strange things, including, among others, some kind of cave fungus coating the walls in certain places which gave anyone who touched it feelings of euphoric pleasure. Naturally, I flung myself into it and rolled around in it until the rest of the party physically dragged me back out so we could proceed, although I did gather some up and stuff it in my pack for later.

Fast forward to the end of the dungeon. We'd found the treasure at the center of the dungeon, but as we approached it, a magical field activated, afflicting each of us with a different random emotional state. The DM rolls on his custom table for which states each of us turn one by one. One party member becomes inconsolably depressed. Another becomes suicidally overconfidant. Then the DM rolls for me... and with his head in one hand, passes me the slip of paper informing me that magic has made me uncontrollably... horny.

Preeeeetty sure he was hoping for his girlfriend's character to roll that one, as otherwise I don't know why he would have included it in the table, but there we were.

And there was only one thing to do.

I opened my pack...

Pulled out the fungus...

Watched the train of thought derail on my DM's face...

And ate it.

Between the magical affliction and the fungus, I somehow gained a lust-inducing aura that stuck with me for several hours, well long enough to exit the dungeon, be declared the winners of the contest, take half a tavern back to my room for the night, and stagger back in the next morning wearing a hungover grin, missing a chunk of ear, and thoroughly pleased with myself.

archetypex
2018-07-07, 01:57 AM
All I have to add is my first thought on reading the thread's title:

"You have to stop with the Batista Bombs every time you get a Nat 20..."

Maelynn
2018-07-07, 10:34 AM
I really enjoy reading all these stories. They're fun and some have even given me a bit of DM inspiration. :3

My story:

At some point our party was ambushed in a small courtyard with a fountain. We were attacked by several mobs (forgot which kind, might've been Orcs) and 2 huge Fire Elementals.

As I was playing a Dwarf Barbarian, I was rather limited in my options. Melee combat caused me to burn, and I held all but 4 javelins - which I couldn't keep tossing without having to spend a lot of moves, picking them back up from all over the courtyard. I looked wistfully at the fountain, wondering if I could somehow use the water as a weapon. Like, shove the elemental in or something.

Then I got an idea. I was the keepers of the party's finances, which included safekeeping our Bag of Holding. I ran to a corner of the courtyard, turned the bag inside out to dump all the contents, put it back the right way and ran to the fountain. I plunged the bag in and let it fill up with water. On the next move, I aimed the bag opening at the Fire Elemental and turned it inside out, engulfing it in quite a lot of water.

The DM wanted to calculate exactly how much damage it would do. He took the max content of the bag, converted the cubic feet to gallons, and checked how much damage a gallon would do. Half his face was buried behind the DMG as he checked, making it all the more funny to see his eyes widen as he muttered "whoa... how much?!"

Let's just say I one-shotted the Fire Elemental. With just a 'teeny' bit of overkill... xD

Ganymede
2018-07-07, 11:23 AM

I can't imagine anyone would be happy with that outcome. It sounds like a really crappy and anticlimactic moment.

Boci
2018-07-07, 11:37 AM
I can't imagine anyone would be happy with that outcome. It sounds like a really crappy and anticlimactic moment.

As long as it doesn't happen too regularly and isn't the final boss of the game, an intended boss fight being one shotted before they can act is usually quite amusing for the players.

Illven
2018-07-07, 11:51 AM
This one time I was part of a group, and we attempted to slit slaver's throats.

Butt he dm felt we should have let them dehydrate out in the desert sun, instead or something, so they stopped running the game.

sithlordnergal
2018-07-07, 02:02 PM
That's all you have done? Oh my friend, you have done nothing. I have, over the course of my player career:

- I have a Divination Wizard who likes to use Tasha's Hideous Laughter. I have disabled a ghost, dragon, roper, giant, humans, orcs, Awakened Trees...basically anything and everything with an Int score to fall over laughing. It is bad enough that he automatically makes creatures immune to the spell whenever he can

- I have a Soradin that got the Rod of Lordly Might after finishing Storm King's Thunder. I managed to smite a Demilich into non-existance on turn one, before it could even have a turn

-In Curse of Strahd I ended up setting the entire forest on fire by accident. And by "entire forest" I literally mean everyone was running from the massive forest fire as our party was trying to fight Strahd.

- I played Sunless Citadel, and the entire party, myself included, killed all the kobolds, all the goblins, the baby dragon, the blights, and the guy causing all the problems. This included the 0 exp non-combatants, even though the DM told us all they were worth 0 exp

- We did some adventure dealing with wild magic and an upside down pyramid. We reached the final room, I saw a pipe filled with liquid of concentrated wild magic, and destroyed the pipe. This flooded the room with wild magic, causing even the mindflayers to freak out and question why I would do something so bat-**** crazy

-In the opening chapter of Out of the Abyss, in the very first session, my Half Orc Cleric:

• Bet his hand to get a nice looking, non-magic, worthless rock and lost. He lost his hand, and has replaced it with the fire mace you eventually find.

• Made enough noise right before the escape that we attracted a bunch of demons

• To help cause a distraction when we escaped the drow, he defaced and set fire to the temple/shrine of Lloth after writing "Vorn was here, Grumish rocks, Lloth sucks" in Orcish

• Made sure to burn all the protective webs under the base, setting the whole underside on fire

• Burned the lift we used to reach the bottom in the escape

EDIT: After Curse of Strahd I learned that taking a sort of scorched earth policy seems to work well in making enemies fear us too much to fight. >=3

Asmotherion
2018-07-07, 09:58 PM
Who gives a Frost Brand at level 5? Seems legit, and the explaination is your Frost Brand.

Magic Weapons like that should become avalable after level 11, otherwise game balance issues happen. There's your proof.

Laserlight
2018-07-07, 10:36 PM
-In Curse of Strahd I ended up setting the entire forest on fire by accident. And by "entire forest" I literally mean everyone was running from the massive forest fire as our party was trying to fight Strahd.

Ah yes. In 4e, I set a forest on fire. And by "a forest" I mean "an entire forest in the Feywild", and by "on fire" I mean "so thoroughly that the Plane of Fire opened an enclave there".

Given that I was a pixie, and was supposed to be guarding against that sort of thing....

The Fey Court was genuinely, deeply impressed by my achievement, to judge by the size of the bounty.

gr8artist
2018-07-08, 08:40 AM
I was DM in another game (Scion, by White Wolf) where one of the players decided his character should abduct and rape another player's character.
Mike was a scion of some nature god, capable of shapeshifting into any animal or plant (as well as only partially shaping himself for chimeric results). Jaime was a scion of Brigid, one of the party's many bruiser-tanks.
Scion's combat system is busted as hell, prompting a lot of people to really lean into the physical stats.
I finally threw in some enemy scions, since mortal enemies and even supernatural beasts were only a minor concern, and one of them finally managed to knock one of the players (Jaime) out.
Mike, who was soaring through the air (some combination of naked mole rat, buzzard, and tree-branch feet) and serving as mount for the party archer, decided he'd dump the archer from 100 feet in the air, swoop down to grab Jaime, and fly into the distance.
I let it happen because I thought he was trying to rescue her.
On his next turn, I asked if he was going to heal her, and he said no, he'd like to have sex with her unconscious body instead.
There was no one around, no mechanic that would stop him, only my very stern warning about divine consequences. That, I think, just made him want to do it more, to see what I'd throw at him.
It's also worth noting that Mike was my cousin, and that Jaime was my girlfriend at the time.
I asked her how she wanted this to play out, since a game about demigods is pretty easy to work deus-ex-machina into (hell, I think it's actually a feat), but she said it's just a game and didn't matter.
He chose this opportunity to remind us of a rather inconsequential line in one of his health spells, which stated that he could make a creature fertile or infertile, and that if he wished it he could guarantee a pregnancy.

So he had his way with her, but got abandoned by his own pantheon, nerfed by hers, and then nearly one-shotted by her when she woke up. He ended up teaming up with the bad guys when I told him that Brigid had granted Jaime's children (twins with hybrid traits) bracelets that prevented him from ever touching them. So he signed on as a spy for the bad guys, and started picking up some weird chaos and madness powers to go along with that. The other players, strangely, never questioned the source of his new power, beyond his cursory and half-hearted, "I found a god of chaos to be my new patron."
Personally, my worst decision as a player was in a 3.PF game on the forums here. Skinchanger (were-crocodile) with vest of permanent enlarge person and a belt of strength (we were allowed to get items at their crafting price), some barbarian levels for rage (including a house-rule for temporary HP as a result of the Con bonus) and a few levels in Warshaper so I could have as many natural attacks as I wanted. Between large size, a resulting 30 strength, and the overpowered rules for using natural attacks in PF (all primaries are at full BAB, all secondaries at -5) the DPS output early on was problematic. Worse was my behavior, playing the scary threatening alligator angle and misusing it against the other players when deciding what we should do.

Submortimer
2018-07-08, 09:09 AM
I was DM in another game (Scion, by White Wolf) where one of the players decided his character should abduct and rape another player's character.

And that's when I kick the player from the table.

Well, more precisely, I'll ask if that's what they really, truly think they should do. If the answer is yes, then they can pack up and go, as their character is incinerated by divine DM judgement.

Keep that garbage away from the game table.

Submortimer
2018-07-08, 09:14 AM
Who gives a Frost Brand at level 5? Seems legit, and the explaination is your Frost Brand.

Magic Weapons like that should become avalable after level 11, otherwise game balance issues happen. There's your proof.

You know, you'd think that, but there are numerous WOTC published 5e adventures that give out magic items of that caliber around that level. Heck, Forge of Fury from TftYP has a +2 greataxe sitting in the hoard at the end of the dungeon, and that games ends with the players at level 5.

I know that a +2 weapon is Rare and that Frost Brand is Very Rare, but rarity =/= power. A flame tongue is arguably MUCH more powerful than a Frost brand, but is only Rare.

Solunaris
2018-07-08, 10:07 AM
All these stories make we want to share some of my own.

- In 3.5, there is this samurai class ability that allows you to sacrifice items you own to your blades to improve their magical qualities. Normally this takes days but my DM decided that since the campaign was so fast paced that it could be done instantly. A few sessions into the game we ended up participating in a battle with a bunch of drow ships where my samurai character managed to intimidate the crew of one of the ships to let him have it and abandon ship after decapitating the captain and his first mate in a single swing. Mid battle my character had his sword consume the boat and add it's gold value to it's own to make it into a magical weapon. It ended up the equivalent of a +6 weapon, something usually only available to 21st+ level characters, at level 6.

- The same character in 3.5, going up against the boss of the campaign. A giant dragon god stood before the party, monologuing. My character grew bored and I asked if I could draw my sword and get a surprise attack. The DM complied and I used a skill I had access to the entire campaign but had never used' Iaijutsu Focus. The way this skill works is that the better I roll on the check the more damage I deal on the turn I draw the sword. I rolled a natural 20 and ended up adding 15d6 to each swing, I got 4 swings, and I only missed the last one while I crit 2. The DM wasn't happy that his big bad evil guy died mid monologue.

- In 5e I had a Sorcerer (Draconic but refluffed to be Angelic) who only used fire spells. No other damage types and there were some bounty hunters that prepared for us. They'd been sent to pick us off one at a time and attacked while my sorcerer was on watch. Unfortunately for them I had just taken Cone of Cold as my next damage spell and they'd been granted immunity to Fire in exchange for vulnerability to Cold. I didn't know this, but I was eager to test my new spell so I think we were both equally surprised when I cast my spell. The DM at me casting a non-fire spells and me at mercing a group of enemies so easily.

- Same sorcerer much later in the campaign ended up cursed by a magical artifact and forced to duel another party member. She was a half elf and the fight ended up lasting forever. Finally another party member got fed up with it and cast sleep to end the fight and move on with the plot. Everyone around the table breathed a sigh of relief as it had been dragging on for about half and hour by this point (never force a fight between defensive PCs) but unfortunately the Cleric player mentioned that half elves are immune to magical sleep effects. So instead of my sorcerer falling over, the other PC did and the artifact forced me to fight the Cleric instead. The DM gave the cleric the dirtiest of looks.

- Another 5e campaign our party was sailing on a cargo ship and I was playing a 5th level Ranger 3rd Level Arcane Trickster when we ended up assaulted by a couple of Galleons. Being on a cargo ship, our only defense was a bunch of arrows and whatever spells we could muster. Luckily, we had found some dynamite and my character had a daring plan. The Galleon was firing cannons at us, so my character cast Pass Without Trace and managed to get on board the enemy ship. A few rounds later she had come across the powder magazine in the ship. With a carefully cast mage hand holding a lit stick of dynamite she vacated the ship and watched as the Galleon exploded magnificently. The DM took away our dynamite in the next session.

Wryte
2018-07-08, 06:00 PM
Just added a new one this afternoon.

Playing a 5e campaign based on the Warhammer setting, our party has been on a mission to collect artifacts of the Chaos Gods in order to save one of our party members from a cursed ring she put on. Today we were finishing the dungeon for the final artifact, culminating in a boss fight against a lich. He killed our wizard on his first turn with a Power Word: Kill, paralyzed our ranger/barbarian with his touch attack, and had been exchanging blasts with our druid while I, the monk, had been fighting his mummy guards before engaging him.

So it's me and the paralyzed ranger/barbarian up on the lich's dias with him, and he's just hit the barbaranger with a Disintegrate at 8th level, leaving him with only a handful of hit points. The druid has similarly been taking a serious beating, and while we've laid some good damage down on the lich, odds are he's not going to die before the two of them do.

It's my turn. I could just keep throwing Flurry of Blows at him, but who knows how long that's going to take to finish him off, and he's tethered the barbaranger to himself, so if the barbaranger fails a couple saving throws, I could kill him instead of the lich. I'm scanning my character sheet, looking for anything I can do to turn the tide, when my eyes catch something in my inventory.

Much earlier in our campaign, we'd been taken captive by dark elves and thrown in prison, where we had been shackled with anti-magical collars that prevented not only spellcasting, but anything remotely magical like my ki abilities.

And we'd kept them after we found the keys to get them off, and I had one in my pack.

I slapped it on the lich, and with his magic severed from him, he abruptly crumbled into dust with no option to return to his phylactery.

Worth noting, this is the second time in this campaign that I've singlehandedly broken a boss fight, the other being at the end of the dark elf arc when I killed the Blood God's chosen champion by grappling him, thereby preventing him from dealing any damage for an entire round as he failed to break free of my grip, and lost Khorne's favor.

That's right: I hugged one boss to death, and destroyed another with a Hot Topic accessory.

Not bad for a former tavern wench. XD

Oramac
2018-07-09, 11:09 AM
Story 2: In SKT you can get a ride with an airship which is basically defenseless and subject to random encounters (Featherfall highly recommended). A dragon started an encounter within breath range and took half our hit points before we got to act. The other characters shot arrows while moaning "we're all going to die! " Eventually we got to my initiative. "We're 1000 feet in the air? I cast Polymorph. You're a fish. Oh, and Portent, so your saving throw is a 5." That didn't kill the dragon but the DM was shocked enough that the dragon decided not to try it again.

This is why I absolutely LOVE Divination Wizards!

===================================

My story:

In AL, I was playing my Tempest Sorcerer at 5th level (Sorc 3 / Cleric 2). I don't remember which adventure it was, but the final BBEG was a Mind Flayer. I rolled decent on initiative, going second.

First, the party fighter dashes towards the Illithid, but can't get into melee range.

Next is my turn. Move to within 90 feet, cast Chromatic Orb at 3rd level.

Rolled a Nat 20. Used Destructive Wrath. 80 Lightning damage.

Dead Illithid, before it even took a turn. The DM was pissed.

Maelynn
2018-07-09, 02:00 PM

That story made me sick to my stomach. Raping an unconscious person is despicable and perverted, regardless of whether it's a game or not. I know that D&D is a game where you can live your fantasy, but that doesn't include this kind of sick fantasies. Go 'grab your d*ck and double-click' behind your pc if this is what gets you off, but don't you even try and desecrate my table with it.