PDA

View Full Version : Fun with sizing weapons

Kel_Arath
2007-09-10, 02:36 AM
Alright, so for every size category you go down with a weapon, it goes down a step for hand requirements (two-handed, one-handed, light). So if you have a double weapon meant for a small creature being used by a medium creature, could you use both sides still (I know that logically no, but I'm looking for a RAW reason you can't) and I know there would be ridiculous and crazy, but I think a Thri-kreen using four, double weapons would just be frightening for the PC's in my campaign.
Also just for grins, is a large gauntlet two-handed for a medium creature?

Kantolin
2007-09-10, 02:44 AM
Quoteth the SRD:

The character can also choose to use a double weapon two handed, attacking with only one end of it. A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#doubleWeapons

So no.

Zincorium
2007-09-10, 02:44 AM
Alright, so for every size category you go down with a weapon, it goes down a step for hand requirements (two-handed, one-handed, light). So if you have a double weapon meant for a small creature being used by a medium creature, could you use both sides still (I know that logically no, but I'm looking for a RAW reason you can't) and I know there would be ridiculous and crazy, but I think a Thri-kreen using four, double weapons would just be frightening for the PC's in my campaign.

Well, let's have a look at the rules for double weapons, a basic part of researching your claim, doncha know. Of course they're gonna say yes, but just to check:

The character can also choose to use a double weapon two handed, attacking with only one end of it. A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

Hoo Boy. This doesn't look good at all. I suppose you can't, just like that old friend of yours, logic, was sayin' from the get-go.

And no, the large gauntlet would be one handed for a medium creature, seeing as how it started off a light weapon when large.

KillianHawkeye
2007-09-10, 02:47 AM
According to the PHB pg. 113, if you wield a double weapon in one hand, you can't use both sides of the weapon in the same round. It lists a human wielding a Small two-bladed sword as the example.

Sure it is. You'd just be holding in both hands instead of wearing it. :smallwink:

Edit: double-ninja'd!

And no, the large gauntlet would be one handed for a medium creature, seeing as how it started off a light weapon when large.

According the the PHB, other than the fact an attack with a gauntlet deals lethal damage, it is "otherwise considered an unarmed strike", which suggests that it might be a light weapon regardless of what size gauntlet you're wearing.

Kel_Arath
2007-09-10, 02:54 AM
I was pretty sure it wouldn't work, but as for Kantolin and Zincorium that's assuming the quotes you used were assuming the weapon is sized apropriatly, so if the weapon is then one-handed, why not? Until Killian rained on my parade I was happy.