PDA

View Full Version : 2 healing potions or spiderclimb?

hangedman1984
2018-07-06, 09:00 AM
So a friend of mine is starting a new game and recently ran a sort of session 0/char gen session since half the party are new to d&d (and honestly I'm still a little new to 5e, although experienced enough with d&d and roleplaying in general to pick it up pretty quick). As a prize for beating the little tutorial dungeon he is giving each of us the choice between two healing potions or a scroll of spiderclimb. Is one or the one particularly better or is it a pretty even choice?

note: not a wizard so don't have the option of adding the scroll to a spellbook.

JackPhoenix
2018-07-06, 10:52 AM
To use a spell scroll, you need to have that spell on your spell list. If you don't, it's unintelligible. So unless you play a class with access to Spider Climb, the scroll is useless.

nickl_2000
2018-07-06, 10:54 AM
To use a spell scroll, you need to have that spell on your spell list. If you don't, it's unintelligible. So unless you play a class with access to Spider Climb, the scroll is useless.

For more information. That means if you aren't a Artificer, Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard there is no point taking the scroll.

thrdeye
2018-07-06, 11:00 AM
I'd take the potions. Low level combat can be absolutely brutal due to the tiny HP pool. Might as well be topped off to avoid being killed by an inopportune enemy crit.

JackPhoenix
2018-07-06, 11:04 AM
For more information. That means if you aren't a Artificer, Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard there is no point taking the scroll.

3 types of land druid (forest, mountain, underdark) also have access to it. But yeah, that won't change much.

hangedman1984
2018-07-06, 11:28 AM

I'm playing a warlock, so thats not an issue

Aaron Underhand
2018-07-06, 11:44 AM
My guess is that if it's being offered it may be v useful, or even essential to the next problems you will encounter. Someone should take it, if not one for everyone who could cast it.

hymer
2018-07-06, 12:02 PM
If you have nothing else to Concentrate on, I then the scroll gets more useful. Spider Climb is really effective at keeping you out of reach of enemy melee, obviously, and you're likely to have a decent ranged capability as a warlock. On the other hand, if you're into going into melee, then Spider Climb isn't so useful in that respect.
You can be pretty sure you'll find a use for the potions.

xroads
2018-07-06, 03:49 PM
Take the healing potions. Healing potions are really useful. Especially at low levels.

A scroll of spider-climb can be useful. But probably not as useful as a healing potion.

JackPhoenix
2018-07-06, 05:17 PM
I'm playing a warlock, so thats not an issue

I'd go with the scroll, then. Potions are useful, no doubt about that, but they are pretty common. They are the only magic item you can reliably buy, as they are present in PHB and not in the DMG, or make on your own. Scroll gives you unique option unavailable otherwise. It's not really a spell most warlocks would use one of their limited spells known for.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-07-06, 05:22 PM
The scroll is useful in a limited number of situations. The potions are useful in many, many situations. Take the potions.

ImproperJustice
2018-07-06, 11:14 PM
Hmmmm.......
If you can use it, take the scroll and be willing to use it when faced with a dangerous melee enemy that you can escape from by going up a wall.

Damage prevented is better than damage healed in my opinion.

NinaWu
2018-07-06, 11:43 PM
2 potions healing. You know you'll definitely be using them. Spiderclimb? well who knows

opaopajr
2018-07-07, 04:47 AM
Healing Potions are less situationally dependent. There are more instances where you, or others, will be lower on HP.

Not as many contexts have high enough (or crowded with enough cover) vertical surfaces to make Spider Climb worthwhile. Examples of less useful contexts: plains, tundra, underwater, shorter walls or ceilings, easily targetable by range without enough cover, grappling hook & rope, etc.

Unless you are a Wizard and get to scribe a new spell, not as worthwhile. Go for the potions.