PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [newbie] - suggestions for shadow monk 4th level?

giskard
2018-07-06, 09:39 AM
Hello!!
I recently started playing DnD as a woodelf monk, and we've just hit lv3 in our campaign.
I've chosen shadow monk archetype (and in my party besides me, we have a barbarian, cleric, archer and bard). My current stats (all odd!!)

STR 13
DEX 19
CON 13
INT 13
WIS 15
CHA 7

So. I'm undecided for what to do for our next lv up..
My ideas:
1) DEX+WIS: can't be wrong with this (+dmg, +to hit, +2AC, +DC to later stun saves, +to my skill checks and saves..)
2) DEX+CON: less classic, but I'm in the weird spot where I'm a melee fighter and I've the second-to-last amount of HP in my party (went down in 2 hits from an ettercap during our last fight)
3) WIS+CON: ???
4) Feat: Mobile. I could afford a more hit-and-run fighting style

The ASI (1) is appealing because it does so many things, but at the same time I'm not sure I'll be able to enjoy combat because I'll be forced to always stay in melee range, or take AoO's (other option: disengaging by spending both1 ki and my bonus action which I would much prefer using for more unarmed attacks). Especially given shadow monk archetype, I like the idea of hitting hard and quickly retreating. Do you think that taking a feat instead of an ASI at 4th level would be so bad?
Or maybe my question is: if I pick ASI, how do I effectively play a shadow monk in combat?

Anyone's 2 cents for this woudl be greatly appreciated! I'm a newbie but as for everything I tend to study every aspect of a problem :smallsmile:

nickl_2000
2018-07-06, 09:52 AM
The natural increase would be the +1 Dex +1 Wis. extra to hit, extra damage, +2 ac, it's really your best option.

At 6th level your shadow step will really help you get out of combat a without provoking AoOs.

That being said, if you are not enjoying how combat is working for you the Mobile Feat will accomplish many of your goals. It's a really, really good feat for a monk. So, if this seems like more fun go with it and get the +1/+1 ASI at level 8

Another option would be Elven Accuracy for +1 Dex and third advantage. That still gives +1 AC, +1 to attack and damage, and if you can get advantage a large boost. And with the party you are in, getting advantage should be pretty easy.

CTurbo
2018-07-06, 06:43 PM
I'd +1 the Dex and Wis every single time. Any chance you get to boost BOTH of your main stats at once it should be a no brainer.

I would add a point in Con somehow eventually though. Resilient is wasted on Monks so maybe a +1 Con and +1 to Str, Int, or Cha to round out that stat later on.

LordNibbler
2018-07-06, 07:01 PM
I’d say Con and Wis +1. You need HP and saves and, when it comes online, a higher save for your Stunning Fist. A Dex of 19 is great for your level. You can bump it up to 20 at level 8.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-06, 07:08 PM
If you'd like to skirmish more, Mobile is very good on a Monk. If you just want a raw effectiveness boost, +1 Con/Wis is probably better than boosting your already sky-high Dex.

DerficusRex
2018-07-06, 08:38 PM
Another option would be Elven Accuracy for +1 Dex and third advantage. That still gives +1 AC, +1 to attack and damage, and if you can get advantage a large boost. And with the party you are in, getting advantage should be pretty easy.

If you're going to take Elven Accuracy at all, now would be the time to do it while you can still benefit from the +1 dex. I'd go that route and then boost wis/con next time.

edit: or like Grod said, go with wis and con now, then take Elven Accuracy next time to cap dex.

CTurbo
2018-07-06, 09:29 PM
I agree if you are dead set on Elven Accuracy, I'd take +1 Wis and Con at 4 and take EA at level 8 for the +1 Dex

giskard
2018-07-07, 07:58 AM
Thanks guys! I didn't know of Elven Accuracy, since I've only checked the Player Handbook so far...
It is definitely worth taking in consideration, it's a nice +1. Thankfully I still have some time before deciding :smallbiggrin:

CTurbo
2018-07-07, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys! I didn't know of Elven Accuracy, since I've only checked the Player Handbook so far...
It is definitely worth taking in consideration, it's a nice +1. Thankfully I still have some time before deciding :smallbiggrin:

I don't personally LOVE Elven Accuracy as much as most people on here. I would only take it if you had a reliable method of attacking with advantage. From what I've seen in actual gameplay, it doesn't get used as much as people seem to think.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good feat still.

Wisefool
2018-07-07, 09:21 AM
I agree with the majority, +1 WIS/CON is the best option. Bumping CON should be your priority. Since you can wait on DEX, put the other point in WIS. Your Stunning Strikes will thank you for it on your next level up.

LordNibbler
2018-07-07, 12:13 PM
I would avoid Elven Accuracy. EA is great if your build relies on crits to do major damage. The monk’s damage output is based on more frequent hits, not a few very damaging ones so a critical hit is an extra 1d6 or 1d8 through most of your career, not xxd6 like you would get with sneak attack or smite. Mobile is much better for you. Being able to run in, hit multiple targets, and get out without anyone getting to attack you is exactly what you want. Keep in mind that if you use your shadow step to get in or out, you can only make 2 attacks instead of 3 or 4. I would do this:
Level 4 +1 Con/Wis
Level 8 Mobile
Level 12 +1 Dex/Something
I know it’s putting off the holy Dex 20 but Mobile allows you to have the tactics you want to have.

bid
2018-07-07, 12:37 PM
Dex19 at level 3 is ahead of the curve, you can delay it.

I would Con14 / Wis16, since both are somewhat weak. More hp will allow you to take an extra hit, and you want to improve your stunning strike DC.

Mobile is another great choice based on your play style.

If you ever reach level 12, I believe Wis18 should be your 3rd ASI. Permastun is that good.

Citan
2018-07-08, 02:27 PM
Hello!!
I recently started playing DnD as a woodelf monk, and we've just hit lv3 in our campaign.
I've chosen shadow monk archetype (and in my party besides me, we have a barbarian, cleric, archer and bard). My current stats (all odd!!)

STR 13
DEX 19
CON 13
INT 13
WIS 15
CHA 7

So. I'm undecided for what to do for our next lv up..
My ideas:
1) DEX+WIS: can't be wrong with this (+dmg, +to hit, +2AC, +DC to later stun saves, +to my skill checks and saves..)
2) DEX+CON: less classic, but I'm in the weird spot where I'm a melee fighter and I've the second-to-last amount of HP in my party (went down in 2 hits from an ettercap during our last fight)
3) WIS+CON: ???
4) Feat: Mobile. I could afford a more hit-and-run fighting style

The ASI (1) is appealing because it does so many things, but at the same time I'm not sure I'll be able to enjoy combat because I'll be forced to always stay in melee range, or take AoO's (other option: disengaging by spending both1 ki and my bonus action which I would much prefer using for more unarmed attacks). Especially given shadow monk archetype, I like the idea of hitting hard and quickly retreating. Do you think that taking a feat instead of an ASI at 4th level would be so bad?
Or maybe my question is: if I pick ASI, how do I effectively play a shadow monk in combat?

Anyone's 2 cents for this woudl be greatly appreciated! I'm a newbie but as for everything I tend to study every aspect of a problem :smallsmile:
Hi!

I'd usually recommend Mobile as a priority, but considering you only have odd stats, it's urgent to even them...
So I'll throw my hat in for DEX and CON.

Yeah, you're right.
Don't care about WIS... At least not now.

As a Shadow Monk, you probably use quite a bit of Ki on your nice spells.
As a Monk in melee, you probably also use some Ki on Disengage or Dodge more often than not.
Hence, you don't care at all *for now* about WIS, that would only affect upcoming Stunning Strike (you're too ki-hungry right now to try and optimize that lone ability relying on WIS) and AC (+1 AC does make a difference, but a better concentration on Darkness (hide/teleport place), a bit better save against a wide array of nasty and dangerous CON effects and a decent HP bump (+5) wins it imo.

At at level 8 you can either go straight for +2 WIS, or +1 WIS and +1 CON or STR (to even later with something else), or go for Observant feat (which would be my recommendation).

EDIT: reread the thread before closing tab, didn't notice the 19 DEX on first time...
This does change things.
I'll agree with Bid then, you can afford to bump WIS along with CON right now.
So either DEX+CON or WIS+CON are good choices, pick with a lightened heart. ;)