PDA

View Full Version : Haley speaking gibberish

username1
2018-07-06, 11:32 AM
In comic 247 Haley starts to speak gibberish after losing all the treasure. Im re-reading all the comics right now an this time through I noticed something interesting in comic 248(http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0248.html). Belkar says "And good news for fans of cryptograms" So I assume Haley is saying stuff, but its encoded. I love ciphers and puzzles. However before I go to the trouble to crack this code I wanted to ask if anyone had done it yet? I doubt its simple so before I spend days on it I wanted to see if it has already been solved. Thanks!

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-07-06, 11:42 AM
In comic 247 Haley starts to speak gibberish after losing all the treasure. Im re-reading all the comics right now an this time through I noticed something interesting in comic 248(http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0248.html). Belkar says "And good news for fans of cryptograms" So I assume Haley is saying stuff, but its encoded. I love ciphers and puzzles. However before I go to the trouble to crack this code I wanted to ask if anyone had done it yet? I doubt its simple so before I spend days on it I wanted to see if it has already been solved. Thanks!

It was translated in the forums at the time. They are also translated in the published book.

They are not complicated: they are simple substitution cyphers, although the key does change in every page.

If you enjoy solving them, you can do it yourself. If not, you can search the forums for the translations (or wait until someone posts here a link), or you can buy the physical copy or PDF versions and get the full translation from Rich.

Grey Wolf

BirdHarvester
2018-07-06, 11:42 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?4909-What-Haley-Said-Compilation

brian 333
2018-07-06, 11:05 PM
Haley's gibberish does indeed translate, as do the various magical writings you see in comic, if you know whicb font is being used.

Elanasaurus
2018-07-07, 01:57 AM
the key does change in every page.Each panel, wasn't it?
:elan:
Never mind. You're right. Sorry.

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-07-07, 07:04 AM
the various magical writings you see in comic, if you know whicb font is being used.

The latter just makes it easier but, like every substitution cypher, it is resolvable without. If you know the font it's, of course, not a cypher at all.

GW

Kish
2018-07-07, 09:34 AM
Each panel, wasn't it?
Never mind. You're right. Sorry.
If it was every panel, it would be impossible to solve.

gatemansgc
2018-07-07, 03:46 PM
the order of the stick wiki is a good guide to the translations, just check the page for each comic that has one.

http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Michaeler
2018-07-07, 05:36 PM
If you want to translate them yourself, and I did, then I recommend using the pages where Elan returns as your starting point. There's a couple of places where she very obviously says Nale, which gives you two vowels to start with. When you get in practice you can do the more complex ones, like the trial.

Edit: Actually it gives you three vowels, since there's a single letter word in there as well and it's not an A.

Elanasaurus
2018-07-08, 02:41 AM
If it was every panel, it would be impossible to solve.Aww. I had been impressed that a few people had solved it.

georgie_leech
2018-07-08, 10:38 AM
Aww. I had been impressed that a few people had solved it.

I mean, it can be done, but if the key changes that often, it's less about cleverly deducing likely words and more about blindly throwing different combinations at it until it sticks. Changes from a riddle solved with cunning, into a more brute force approach.

brian 333
2018-07-08, 01:06 PM
I mean, it can be done, but if the key changes that often, it's less about cleverly deducing likely words and more about blindly throwing different combinations at it until it sticks. Changes from a riddle solved with cunning, into a more brute force approach.

Try it and see what happens. Start on any page where Haley says a lot. Or on the Nale? Elan? page, as previously was suggested. I had fun doing it, you might too.

It's also fun to see what The Giant has to say in decorations here and there. Anything that looks like writing probably is.

georgie_leech
2018-07-08, 04:57 PM
Try it and see what happens. Start on any page where Haley says a lot. Or on the Nale? Elan? page, as previously was suggested. I had fun doing it, you might too.

It's also fun to see what The Giant has to say in decorations here and there. Anything that looks like writing probably is.

...I know. I was referring to if the key was different for every panel, rather than every page.

brian 333
2018-07-09, 10:15 AM
...I know. I was referring to if the key was different for every panel, rather than every page.

As I said, try it and see. Keep in mind The Giant was trying to create fun, not an unbreakable cypher.

Elanasaurus
2018-07-09, 10:51 AM
As I said, try it and see. Keep in mind The Giant was trying to create fun, not an unbreakable cypher.Georgie isn't the OP. And if you knew that, why didn't you also ask me to try the cypher?

martianmister
2018-07-09, 11:30 AM
I think the OP just left forum in disappointment.

Jasdoif
2018-07-09, 01:23 PM
I mean, it can be done, but if the key changes that often, it's less about cleverly deducing likely words and more about blindly throwing different combinations at it until it sticks. Changes from a riddle solved with cunning, into a more brute force approach.Now if it'd been Vaarsuvius speaking in per-panel cipher, it might have still been puzzle-solve-y.

georgie_leech
2018-07-09, 03:10 PM
Now if it'd been Vaarsuvius speaking in per-panel cipher, it might have still been puzzle-solve-y.

They aren't blathering nonsense already? :smallwink: