PDA

View Full Version : E6 Greed Daemon

Ruethgar
2018-07-06, 12:41 PM
Recently fell asleep with youtube going from song to song til I woke up to Panic's Emperor's New Clothes and kinda made me want to make a character that was basically a daemon of greed and decadence, "If it feels good, tastes good, it must be mine." Slight of hand through the roof and any magic to either steal, or make others steal such as the spell Miser's Envy. What are some spells that would fit this theme and what class would be best for this? I was going to abuse the lack of alignment limitation on the Shape Soulmeld feat with Incarnate Avatar to get the general visage from the video by combining Law and Evil but probably not really investing further so the actual race is of little import as long as it is roughly medium. Spelltheif seems apt, but I've never really looked into it very much. I rarely make characters that are really all that roguish, nearest I get are monks and scouts. All of 3.5 is available plus SoP and it's martial counterpart with review. It is a slightly modified E6(ECL instead of level) and allows Bloodlines from Welknair and a few others of similar power.

TLDR: Need help with making a thief with a significant focus on magic. All official 3.5 +SoP&SoM on review. E6

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-06, 12:56 PM
Your post seems like it was a bit geed (hurried up). But I think I get the gist.

Spellthief would seem to work very well for this, since you can look at all of the best spells being cast and say "mine" when you see one you like! :smallbiggrin: However, it doesn't get Sleight of Hand, which always perplexed me. So it might not work for what you intend, or you might prefer to multi-class.

daremetoidareyo
2018-07-06, 01:00 PM
The master pickpocket feat from city of stormreach is a must have for a sleight of hand o mancer.

Nifft
2018-07-06, 01:10 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about the epic struggle between Geed and Ovil.

-- -- --

I've done a re-write of the Spellthief with a more Psionic bent, called Kleptologue; link is in my sig. It's very much compatible with envy.

The official Spellthief is pretty bad, unless you just take one level and the Master Spellthief feat (and then play a real spellcaster). Something like Spellthief 1 / Wizard 4 / Unseen Seer 10 / (PrC) 5, with Spellwarp Sniper or Recaster as potential capstones.

Speaking of Recaster (from Races of Eberron), you can mutate your spells like an Archmage, and you can steal a couple of spells from other lists (stealing = greed, right?). Changeling Wizard 5 / Recaster 5 (with the Changeling Wizard ACFs) might be a good way to do that, with your ability to change your Familiar to grant any Familiar bonus (because you deserve all the bonus while you lust after all the spells).

On the subject of all the spells, consider the Chameleon PrC, which can cast spells from every list. You can get in as a Changeling Wizard 5 (using the racial sub levels in Races of Eberron), or as a Rogue 5 (traditionally greed-oriented, just ask Haley), or as a hodge-podge of base classes where you get to steal glory from a wide variety of archetypes.

A hodge-podge of base classes might look like: Rogue 1 / Binder 1 / Incarnate 2 / Druid 1 (Swift (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) + Avenger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druidVariantDruidicAve nger) for the Druid). Since you have a real caster level, you can take Item Creation feats, and then use your Chameleon spells to make items -- you'll probably want Practiced Spellcaster, which nets you access to Scrolls, Wondrous Items, Arms & Armor, Wands, some weird stuff (e.g. Grell Alchemy), and some lame stuff (e.g. Brew Potion).

You might want a feat like Dimensional Reach [Reserve] to snatch things magically at a distance.

Bonzai
2018-07-06, 01:40 PM
I had written a campaign where the main antagonists were possessed by the demons representing the seven deadly sins.

For greed, I went spell theif/lasher and maybe a dip into crusader for thicket of blades, I can't remember. Essentially a 15ft threat range for attacks of opportunity, casters can't cast defensively. He had a lash whip and I think it had blurred strike where it causes the target to be flat footed. Not only would he steal spells, but disarm and trip the players and snatch their weapons away with his lasher abilities.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-06, 02:01 PM
Is a Greed Damon like a Matt Damon?

Ruethgar
2018-07-06, 02:08 PM
Is a Greed Damon like a Matt Damon?

Daemons are the NE alignment creatures similar to how demons are CE, devils are LE etc. This one will probably be NE in true alignment, but be ritually associated lawful for the soulmeld alone. I believe in 3.0+ they tried to distance themselves from demon/daemon/devil and went Tannari/Yugoloth/Batazu with varying success on the colloquialization of those terms. Batazu is fairly recognizable as Devils and Tannari are a bit less recognizable as demons, but daemons lack all that much of a mention outside of I believe Fiend Folio and neither of their names are immediately recognizable as seperate from demons. If you intended your statement to be sarcasm as I suspect, I would suggest blue text.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-06, 02:32 PM
I believe the NEs are Yugoloths.

Ruethgar
2018-07-06, 02:37 PM
Chameleon sounds like it could be nice and versatile.
Changeling: Bard 2/Blood Chameleon Bloodline 3/Chameleon 4

Dimensional Reach would be great, but Chameleon doesn't let you qualify and while Precocious Sanctum would let me take it, it would count as a 1st lvl spell until cast in a Sanctum which wouldn't let me use it. There is also the matter of Master Spellthief, which again, Chameleon is barred from qualifying as a arcane spellcaster by it's class text so would be near useless.

It might be better to just go Bard and give up half my feats for SoM Scoundrel abilities for the legendary talents to steal spells. Would need discussion with the GM, because PF material conversion, but it doesn't let me cast except within the SoP subsystem. And the imagery evoked from saying bard also fits with the purveyor of decadence and I could snag Precocious Apprentice for Miser's Envy if only 1/day as a bard.

Master Pickpocket is, wow, that is a must have. That seems pretty strong for a feat, even if it is niche use(especially when you consider the feat Cutpurse has IUS as a pre-req to only partially mimic it).

Nifft
2018-07-06, 02:43 PM
I believe the NEs are Yugoloths.

In 3.5e, Daemons are indeed called Yugoloths. But they might still be Daemons if you're using setting lore which pre-dates 3.5e.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoloth