PDA

View Full Version : Fork in the Road, which way do I go?

Drazhar
2018-07-06, 12:51 PM
So looking for which direction should take precedent. I have already sort of made up my mind on the direction I am heading with the build, just getting to the point where I have to make the next decision and I keep bouncing from one to the other:

Currently level 5 Human Gloom Stalker w/ Sharpshooter feat., other things to take into account, I have gotten lucky and picked up Bracers or Archery and the Oathbow! So now in order to add some depth to my archer build, I know the progrssion I want to go is:

1-5 Gloom Stalker Ranger
4 levels of Rogue (probably Assassin or Scout) 4 levels to get ASI
4 levels of Fighter (Battlemaster!) 4 levels to get ASI
14-20 finish off with Rogue (I think... I could be swayed into Fighter, but I think the consistency of the Sneak Attack is better)

So what I am looking for you to weigh in on is should I choose Fighter or Rogue first? I mean Sneak Attack is always better, am I right?! lol Or do I side with Action Surge and Battle Maneuvers?

Help me quick I am soon about to have make a choice! lol

rbstr
2018-07-06, 01:21 PM
On "More Sneak Attack is always better, right?":
The more sneak attack damage you do the smaller Sharpshooter's marginal benefit is. In other words, the more damage a single hit does the more the -5 accuracy trade off hurts. So what a large sneak attack roll makes you want to do is not take the -5/+10 until you've landed a regular-accuracy hit first.
Of course, the ****load of accuracy you've got from magic items makes that matter less.

IMO fighter is the better choice to do first. Action Surge lets you double dip on the Gloomstalker's first-round extra attack. More attacks capitalizes on your high per-hit damage more than adding some sneak attack die will. Precision Attack is also very strong on a sharpshooter. The defense fighting style would be nice to have too.

You might think about using your later levels to get Ranger 11 for the rerolling of an attack once a round. That's pretty fantastic on a Sharpshooter-centric build.

Sexyshoeless
2018-07-06, 01:23 PM
What is your role in the group? If you are often being called upon to scout/sneak and other things, investment into 1-2 rogue levels may be beneficial for expertise and cunning action. The nice thing here is rogue and fighter are both heavily loaded with really juicy features.

Overall, I think getting your fighter levels done will be more fun as you pick up more active features in second wind, action surge, and maneuvers. Additionally, the additional fighting style will be nice for more defense.

Narratively you may also have an easier time just getting your shorter dip out of the way as well before finishing off with continuous rogue levels.

Drazhar
2018-07-07, 06:18 AM
On "More Sneak Attack is always better, right?":
The more sneak attack damage you do the smaller Sharpshooter's marginal benefit is. In other words, the more damage a single hit does the more the -5 accuracy trade off hurts. So what a large sneak attack roll makes you want to do is not take the -5/+10 until you've landed a regular-accuracy hit first.
Of course, the ****load of accuracy you've got from magic items makes that matter less.

IMO fighter is the better choice to do first. Action Surge lets you double dip on the Gloomstalker's first-round extra attack. More attacks capitalizes on your high per-hit damage more than adding some sneak attack die will. Precision Attack is also very strong on a sharpshooter. The defense fighting style would be nice to have too.

You might think about using your later levels to get Ranger 11 for the rerolling of an attack once a round. That's pretty fantastic on a Sharpshooter-centric build.

Yeah that is kind of why I was leaning towards Fighter. And never thought about finishing off Ranger, but yeah that kind of sells me on it for sure!

What is your role in the group? If you are often being called upon to scout/sneak and other things, investment into 1-2 rogue levels may be beneficial for expertise and cunning action. The nice thing here is rogue and fighter are both heavily loaded with really juicy features.

Overall, I think getting your fighter levels done will be more fun as you pick up more active features in second wind, action surge, and maneuvers. Additionally, the additional fighting style will be nice for more defense.

Narratively you may also have an easier time just getting your shorter dip out of the way as well before finishing off with continuous rogue levels.

Role is sneak/scout and in fights I am perimeter DPS and boss killer when possible.