PDA

View Full Version : Level 20 backup character idea. Input welcome.

Degwerks
2018-07-06, 06:23 PM
Playing in a level 20 epic campaign and I'm starting to feel the urge to find a new character in case my current one bites the dust.

So far I'm looking at a Horizon Walker 17 / Sorcerer 3. Doesn't matter which Sorcerer but divine soul and shadow fit the flavor better. I'm only interested in the class for SCAG cantrips, metamagic, Shield and Shadow Blade.

I love the idea of teleporting attacks with Horizon Walker. Using Steel Wind Strike for AOE and then the free teleport from that to Quicken Booming Blade etc. Being a switch hitter with Shadow Blade for melee and Swift Quiver for ranged.

Not sure on Shadar Kai or Wood Elf yet, but will take Elven Accuracy and Mobile. Melee will do more damage with Shadow Blade and I'm going to want to be skirmishing when i do that. I don't want to stand there and trade blows if I don't have to.

Ability scores are strength and int 12, wisdom 16, con 14, cha 13 & dex 20

Thoughts on attuned items and backgrounds, which I have not decided on anything, are welcome.

Degwerks
2018-07-08, 07:38 PM
Anyone have any thoughts about this build at all?

Crgaston
2018-07-09, 01:52 AM
I think that’s a great combo. A little extra dash of magic on a Ranger.

Other spells you may want to take a look at are Jump and Feather Fall.

Jump is a 1 minute, no concentration mobility boost, and FF will let you pull off a Paratrooper-style insertion from above. Airborne Ranger!

And utility cantrips on a Ranger are a great boost as well. Mold Earth for making hasty fortifications or Minor Illusion for instant Concealment.

Thunderclap could be great against swarming mooks.... especially if you pick up Distant as one of your metamagics. Which you should, just for the 10’r AOE. Not to mention Booming Blade+a whip for reach.

Malifice
2018-07-09, 03:16 AM
Shadow Monk 6, Sorcerer (Shadow) 6 (Shield, Shadow blade), Gloom Stalker Ranger 3, Fighter 2 (dueling), Assassin 3 has potential

Fluffy as **** too. Fluff yourself as a Monk from the Order of the Dark Moon (they worship Shar). Play it like a Ninja.

Presume you have pre-cast Shadow blade. You want Subtle spell as one of your metamagics. This gives you a good change of having it pre-cast.

On turn one try and obtain surprise (with Pass without trace and Expertise in Stealth plus darkvision and invisiblity in darkness this should not be too hard). Before combat starts use Subtle spell to bring your Shadow Blade into existence.

Initiate combat (gaining surprise).

On turn one use the Attack action (twice thanks to Action surge) and use your flurry of blows (the Shadow Blade is a simple weapon, making it a monk weapon). You'll get 3 attacks from each attack action on turn 1 thanks to extra attack and dread ambusher (so 6 attacks total) plus 2 more from flurry of blows.

8 attacks. 4 attacks deal 3d8+Dex+2, 2 deal 4d8+Dex+2, and 2 deal 1d6+Dex. The first attack that hits also deals 2d6 sneak attack damage. Spam stunning fist on a few of those attacks that hit.

Each attack that hits is a critical hit, if your opponent hasnt had a turn yet, so double the above damage dice.

You could probably do it better, but that's off the top of my head.

Malifice
2018-07-09, 03:24 AM
S 8
D 15 (16)
C 12
I 8
W 15 (16)
Ch 13

Works as a stat line. V-uman (Alert feat for +5 Initiative) works well.

Place your 2 x ASI into Dex (Dex 20).

Bracers of Armor and the Shield spell get you AC 25 when needed. Plus you get to teleport around the place as a bonus action.

Exocist
2018-07-09, 04:42 AM
Moon Druid 20 Kappa

Hexblade 5/Arcane Trickster 15. Required feats: Shield Master. Required Expertise: Athletics. Required Spells: Find Familiar (take this off Pact of the Chain probably), Blade cantrip, Haste (From trickster levels).

Strategy is simple.

Round 1)
1) Cast Haste.
2) Have familiar Help you, get advantage some other way or have ally within 5ft of your victim.
3) Waltz up to victim.
4) Attack, triggering sneak attack for 8d6 damage.
5) Probably want to bonus action disengage instead of proning on your first round, but you can do either.

Round 2)
1) Waltz up to victim again.
2) Attack, triggering sneak attack.
3) Use bonus action to knock victim prone.
4) Ready an action to (Booming/Green-Flame) Blade the victim if they do anything.
5) Smack them again to get another sneak attack.
6) Repeat until they are a pile of mush.

This is the highest consistent damage build I could find, but obviously things like PAM/GWM Fighters, Spellcasters, etc. will do more damage if they burn the requisite resources. I haven't managed to find a way to map out DPR across a 25-encounter day accounting for that.