PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania Season 2 - Oct 26 announced!

Olinser
2018-07-06, 06:34 PM
Official date of Castlevania Season 2 on Netflix is going to be October 26! In addition to the previously released confirmation will be a bigger 8 episodes (and they have been greenlit to do a Season 3 as well).

I'm pretty excited. The first season wasn't fantastic and perfect, but it was pretty good and did a good job of setting up the main characters for their entry into Dracula's castle and I have high hopes that they'll build on the solid foundation that they made.

I haven't seen any plot details for the 2nd season yet, but the MAIN question I have is whether Grant is going to make an appearance or not. Since canonically they met Grant in the clock tower, it wouldn't be a big deal to have them meet him inside Dracula's castle.

And while Season 3 has been confirmed by the creators, that doesn't necessarily mean that they won't end this arc on Season 2. It's certainly possible that Season 2 will be the end of the Trevor/Sypha/Alucard block, and Season 3 starts a new Castlevania story with Richter/Alucard/Maria, for instance, which I actually would love to see.

Other thoughts on what they'd like to see in Season 2/3?

Scowling Dragon
2018-07-07, 01:14 AM
I dunno. I personally don't find much love for the Castlevania series on Netflix as a Castlevania adaptation but ignoring that part...

It ends up feeling kinda generic. I feel like allot of Anime come out that are either aggressively dark, edgy and bloody or ridiculously twee and childish. Inbetweenies (Something like Trigun) don't come out anymore.
But I think the edge, violence and general bleakness of tone is what the new audience is coming for so I don't know what I would lke to see that wouldn't disapoint a whole bunch of other people.

Legato Endless
2018-07-07, 08:56 AM
Visual variety. No more hoards of generic winged demons. Let's see some actual monsters from the franchise beyond the Cyclops.

I'm also hoping we've now ditched the church subplot. Or failing that, give the church some agency and awareness as an antagonist.

Pendragonx
2018-07-07, 10:49 AM
I really wish I was excited for this... I loved the original Castlevania titles on the NES, but...... I couldn't even get thru more than like 2 episodes of season one before having to turn that train wreck off .. Oof, what a disappointment :-(

JadedDM
2018-07-07, 11:37 AM
Woohoo!

Any word when they'll drop the first trailer?

random11
2018-07-07, 11:53 AM
I liked what I saw in the first episodes, and I'll gladly watch more.

But considering it was only four episodes, and that there is a year and a half between them, I think it's an insult calling it a "season".
Let's call it "a successful proof of concept".

And yeah, a year and a half difference after this.
Way to draw audience attention...

Psyren
2018-07-07, 02:10 PM
I'm very much looking forward to it. It's one of the best video game adaptations we've ever had - which is pretty damn sad when you stop to think about it, but it won't get better unless people try.

Olinser
2018-07-07, 02:27 PM
I'm very much looking forward to it. It's one of the best video game adaptations we've ever had - which is pretty damn sad when you stop to think about it, but it won't get better unless people try.

Well I mean video game adaptations have a bad reputation largely because of the Satan-spawned combination of German tax law and that eternal hack Uwe Boll.

But now that literally NOBODY is willing to sell him video game IPs anymore people are more willing to give them a chance.

Rynjin
2018-07-07, 03:17 PM
It ends up feeling kinda generic. I feel like allot of Anime come out that are either aggressively dark, edgy and bloody or ridiculously twee and childish. Inbetweenies (Something like Trigun) don't come out anymore.

Boku no Hero Academia, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (it's bloody and dark sometimes, but generally over the top and upbeat...though it is an older property TBF), Kekkai Sensen (actually made by Trigun's creator), Megalo Box, and the new Full metal Panic all spring to mind as ones that either aired this season, last year, or will be airing later this year as ones that fit that bill. There's a similar crop every year.

Basically, you don't look hard enough (though given most of those are ENORMOUS hits, I don't think you looked at all...).

Scowling Dragon
2018-07-07, 03:24 PM
Boku no Hero Academia
That's an example of something twee and childish for me.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
I know, I made the thread about the 5th part. Still its more of a rare treat for me. Since it takes a while to be made.

Kekkai Sensen (actually made by Trigun's creator)
Gave me a sort of bad vibe but Il check it out if its by the same creator.

Megalo Box
Heard good things about this one. Im checking it out as we speak.

Full metal Panic
Again gave me a bad sort of vibe. High Schools are garbage settings 99.999999% of the time.

There's a similar crop every year.
But the balance of Edge/Lightheartedness is not maintained very well with them. And Id say anime has consistently been getting worse and worse with the years, so thats to be expected)

Basically, you don't look hard enough

Or have higher standards. =P

Rynjin
2018-07-07, 03:34 PM
That's an example of something twee and childish for me.

Or have higher standards. =P

Given the first sentence, I'd say it's less you have "high standards" and more you make kneejerk reactions based off aesthetics rather than content.

Scowling Dragon
2018-07-07, 03:37 PM
Given the first sentence, I'd say it's less you have "high standards" and more you make kneejerk reactions based off aesthetics rather than content.
.....I read 100 chapters of the Manga (Before watching the first season of the anime). I was hooked by the early chapters but then later figured out it was Naruto again just with a worse setting.

Rynjin
2018-07-07, 03:42 PM
.....I read 100 chapters of the Manga (Before watching the first season of the anime). I was hooked by the early chapters but then later figured out it was Naruto again just with a worse setting.

Given, I'm only following the anime, but so far it explores very different themes much more competently than Naruto. Naruto's main theme is about "breaking the cycle of hatred", with a very contradictory message of "Violence is bad until you need to use violence to do a good thing" where BnH is more about the power of symbols on the human psyche and how people need those to feel safe in an unsafe world.

Scowling Dragon
2018-07-07, 03:57 PM
Given, I'm only following the anime, but so far it explores very different themes much more competently than Naruto.

I won't sidetrack this thread into all the reasons why I find MHA weak, and its themes superfluous, so message me privately if you're interested. I don't find Naruto all that solid either as in I dislike it as well.

Some Android
2018-07-07, 10:56 PM
Question: would someone whose never played any of the games be able to enjoy the series?

Scowling Dragon
2018-07-07, 11:09 PM
Question: would someone whose never played any of the games be able to enjoy the series?

Easily yes.

Dragonus45
2018-07-07, 11:40 PM
Other thoughts on what they'd like to see in Season 2/3?
Grant Danasty

comicshorse
2018-07-08, 04:15 AM

I certainly did

Some Android
2018-07-08, 06:38 PM
Easily yes.

Is there an episode where they reenact the famous "What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets" dialogue? And is the voice acting better or worse? I kind of hope worse because I curious to see how it could get worse.

Dragonexx
2018-07-08, 07:51 PM
That line is from symphony of the night. This series is based on Castlevania three: Dracula's curse.

Giggling Ghast
2018-07-28, 10:13 AM
The trailer for Castlevania Season 2:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbb8zPQBmOw

Now can we cease the endless debates about why Dracula didn’t immediately take revenge for his wife’s death? He holds all of humanity responsible, and intends to wipe us out.

Chromascope3D
2018-07-28, 10:20 AM

I've never played a Castlevania game, but this is the main series that I've been looking forward to all year, if that helps. :p

Olinser
2018-07-28, 01:54 PM
The trailer for Castlevania Season 2:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbb8zPQBmOw

Now can we cease the endless debates about why Dracula didn’t immediately take revenge for his wife’s death? He holds all of humanity responsible, and intends to wipe us out.

Seems legit. I mean he explicitly had said he gave them a year after her death because he was gathering the power to mass summon the demons.

As far as the rest goes - I'm definitely seeing some classic minions of Dracula in that trailer.

I definitely see what is almost certainly going to be Carmilla, and I'm also pretty confident the black-skinned one with black armor is most likely Shaft, and the 2 with pointy ears look like probably werewolves and the one with red hair definitely looks like he's an actual character rather than just another minion, but I don't recall any actual named werewolf bosses in the series?