PDA

View Full Version : Drow Darkelves

Conners
2007-09-10, 04:20 AM
This is a discussion thread for drow and/or darkelves.

I'd like to start with saying: What's the Drow average height? I looked it up and got mixed results. From what I've heard, they're meant to be slightly shorter than surface elves who are slightly shorter than humans, but I don't know the elven average height either so it doesn't help much.....

Kel_Arath
2007-09-10, 04:50 AM
The average elf is just at 5ft tall (average, so I guess Drow would average out at a few inches below 5ft.

Jannex
2007-09-10, 05:04 AM
The random height/weight chart in the Underdark book gives the height of a female drow at 4'6"+2d6", so between 4'8" and 5'6", with 5'1" being average. Males are, apparently, about two inches shorter on average.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-10, 05:51 AM
It also depends on the campaign setting. As I recall, Greyhawk elves (surface and drow) are somewhat shorter on average than humans; this is reflected in the random height/weight tables in the DMG. Faerunian elves, on the other hand, are slightly taller, although my vague recollection of reading Salvatore when I was twelve indicates that FR male drow are back down to under human average.

Also notable is the fact that generic or Greyhawk drow are listed as Usually Neutral Evil. Their Faerunian cousins are, by contrast, Usually Chaotic Evil, despite their advanced society. Many have questioned their categorization as Chaotic given their complex hierarchy and rigid social structure and customs, but I think it works, because when you get right down to it, it's all just rule through brute strength with violence held in check as much as it is solely through informed self-interest. That's my opinion, anyway...I always liked Homeland. And the original Icewind Dale trilogy, despite blatant theft from Tolkien. After those four is when it started getting old.