PDA

View Full Version : Feedback for new RPG Crafting Systems

John Out West
2018-07-06, 06:57 PM
Greetings,

We've created several crafting systems that we are currently using in our game Westbound, but we are looking to now test them in dice-based fantasy role-playing games, including Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Herbalism, Rituals, Runeing, Tinkering, and Artificing. We're looking to make these crafts a supplement to all fantasy role-playing games. Many of the rules may be general or inappropriate for specific systems, so we're looking for help in translating them to as many systems as possible.

These are fleshed out crafts, allowing players to create weapons, items, and consumables in a natural and fulfilling way. Each craft creates items in a different way, giving each a unique feel. Crafts can be also be combined together, creating powerful and unique weapons and equipment.

We're looking for feedback on these crafts, and we want everything from first impressions to game reports. If you are a Game Master, we would love for you to introduce these crafts to your players, as well as create shops that sell their services. If you are a player, you could ask your GM if you could use one of these crafts as a skill, trait, or feat.

You can download the crafting test below:

westboundgame
.com/crafting-materials-test

The crafting test is a 35 page document, including rules and examples of Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Herbalism, Rituals, Runeing, and Tinkering. Feedback on any and all of these crafts would be appreciated, especially if sent directly to our email address. (Which is in the attached to the link) If you're interested in having a larger discussion, we have a Discord server where we can respond more immediately and have a faster conversation. (Which can be sent to your email upon request)

Thanks, and happy crafting!

Indigo Knight
2018-07-11, 04:28 PM
This is all very nice. And I like seeing new stuff coming up.

HOWEVER...

Asking me to both go offsite, as well as, slog throu more then two page of materials (as amazing as the homebrew would be) is... off putting... to say the least.

I'd love to read your material. Is there, perhaps, a summary of sorts? An introduction?

aimlessPolymath
2018-07-15, 06:25 PM
My general impressions:
Alchemy: 3/10. Good idea, but poor implementation in terms of considering the payoffs compared to the costs. I can use a flawless diamond and a willing soul to give myself immprtality, or...deal 1d6 acid damage? How difficult is it to get an alchemists' stone, and is the payoff worth it? I don't understand what went into choosing the keystones/reagents, and it feels largely arbitrary.

Smithing: 2/10. No mention of the tradeoffs involved in crafting, so there's no incentive not to stack all the bonuses on one weapon, given the option.
(Not looking at gunsmithing, enchanting, or rare materials here)

Herbalism: 9/10. Excellent set of conditions, cool tradeoffs in expiration date vs. duration. All that's missing is some sort of biome rules, really- differentiating regions by what materials can be gathered (i.e. you won't find bark underwater easily).
Would almost certainly allow and modify for my own games.

Rituals: 8/10.
I like the rituals and the gods, but I'm not sure about the favor mechanic as a whole; it feels somewhat DM-driven and overly focused on individual acts/events. Would prefer a system in which constant upkeep/worship (ex. hunt alone in the woods each month if possible) is requires to retain favor.

Runeing: 6/10
I generally like the runes, but dislike the secondary/tertiary mechanism. What happens when two people with the same rune on their weapon meet? If you're looking into limiters to keep players from scribing the whole party's weapons, I suggest requiring a cost to power the runes- perhaps some amount of blood? Then once activates, the runes are active for a duration dependent on the strength of effect required (i.e. the tertiary effect lasts for a month, but the primary for a few hours).

Tinkering: 4/10. Seems hilariously unreliable for use by a player. The basic rules push a player to repeatedly roll up schematics until they produce the powersource/trigger desired.

Indigo Knight
2018-07-21, 08:11 AM
Oh! hey you.

You said
Rituals: 8/10.
I like the rituals and the gods, but I'm not sure about the favor mechanic as a whole; it feels somewhat DM-driven and overly focused on individual acts/events. Would prefer a system in which constant upkeep/worship (ex. hunt alone in the woods each month if possible) is requires to retain favor.

Have you seen a good attempt at favors mechanic?

John Out West
2018-08-06, 10:44 PM
Hey!

We've made some changes to our crafts based on feedback we've gotten, and want to see if they've been an improvement. If you have some free time and would like to explore some new crafts, we'd love to hear your feedback!

You can get the testing materials by emailing us at IslandOfBees@gmail. com or by clicking on the link below:

westboundgame
.com/crafting-materials-test