PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Bard / Paladin or Paladin / Bard

UrielVeltrin
2018-07-06, 10:48 PM
I am looking for information about the above multiclass. I am probably going to start at Level 1 and do not know which class to start with. I am thinking of going bard for the majority, capping out paladin between 6-8.

I am going to be taking Oath of Vengeance, and College of Whispers.

The idea behind the character is a traveling armsmen who uses his contacts, and oratory skills to seek out evil and corruption at any level and take necessary steps to prevent it in the future.

I plan on playing a half elf, because I hate having to deal and remember about light sources in dungeons.

What do you all think? would starting out as paladin, going to 6 to get my aura of protection, and then dipping to bard, or starting bard going to 6, then paladin 6, then back to bard?

Thoughts of the playground?

CTurbo
2018-07-07, 01:34 AM
I'd start Paladin no matter what.

Are you starting at level 1 or higher?

You could either start Paladin 6 and then jump Bard but you'd just be a Paladin for a long time, or start Paladin 1, then go Bard 5, then jump back over to Paldin until 6.

Crgaston
2018-07-07, 07:48 AM

You could either start Paladin 6 and then jump Bard but you'd just be a Paladin for a long time, or start Paladin 1, then go Bard 5, then jump back over to Paldin until 6.

Mostly this, but I’d go Pal2 first, because you’d get your fighting style and smites that way. So when you level up in Bard, it’d be improving your Paladin abilities (smites) as well.

UrielVeltrin
2018-07-07, 05:30 PM

We will be starting at level 1 and building up. I am just trying to map out the progression so I can "pre"build the character to see if its going to work how I want etc.

PeteNutButter
2018-07-07, 06:02 PM
Paladin 6/bard x in that order is your best bet. Whisper bard won’t hold up as a martial combatant on it’s own without that extra attack. If you’re impatient to get the build online early, maybe take a bard level in there sooner, but the further you push that extra attack out the worse it will be. Tier 2 levels are the slowest levels to get in 5e.

UrielVeltrin
2018-07-07, 06:31 PM
Paladin 6/bard x in that order is your best bet. Whisper bard won’t hold up as a martial combatant on it’s own without that extra attack. If you’re impatient to get the build online early, maybe take a bard level in there sooner, but the further you push that extra attack out the worse it will be. Tier 2 levels are the slowest levels to get in 5e.

I bow down to your wisdom o'master PeteNutButter. I must say I scoured your guide on multiclass pretty thoroughly while I was thinking up of this character and want to again thank you for your wonderful work and effort.

I to was thinking taking paladin as high as it needed, and then going to bard and just using my background to pick up performance and such so I can still work on the "class" design, then dipping to bard to complete. I think it will give me a good solid design that I am working on writing up the backstory about who he is and such for the DM.

Thanks again!