PDA

View Full Version : Unseen servant

stupidmonkey
2007-09-10, 04:41 AM
I have a question about the spell "unseen servant" or "invisible servant" or whatever its called (i don't have books and can't check online right now);

Can they be used to help put on armour? My full-plate cleric had a servant that would help don armour - but he is currently in the non-helpful state of "dead" and our party wizard has offered to craft an item of "unseen servant 3/day" for me.

So would this work, or should I start searching for another scribe to help me out.

Kel_Arath
2007-09-10, 04:47 AM
Yes it can, and then you have almost an hour to do whatever else with it. Make it shine you armor while you at it:smallbiggrin: !

squishycube
2007-09-10, 04:53 AM
This would have been a good question for the Simple RAW Questions thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55714).

The spell description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/unseenServant.htm) says the unseen servant can perform simple tasks. This point could be argued, but I'd say that helping someone put on an armour is a simple task. But the servant's strength score is only 2, the maximum it can lift is 20 pounds. I'd say that if the servant cannot lift the armour, it cannot help you put it on.
Additionally, the servant is mindless. It needs to be told every single thing it needs to do, which might make having the servant help take just as much time as just doing it yourself.

MrNexx
2007-09-10, 04:59 AM
I'm going to disagree with you, Squishycube. The servant doesn't need to lift the entire armor, itself. A large part of the reason those armors require aid is because they're multiple parts. While it's "mindless", it can carry out fairly complex tasks ("Go into the other room and get me my wand" is within its abilities since it can fetch things). I would say that helping people put on armor is within the "DC 10 or less" restriction that unseen servants operate under.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/unseenServant.htm

To elaborate a bit.

A lot of putting on the armor is going to be "Tighten that bit" and "Hand me that gauntlet"; I don't think the Unseen Servant will be useful for rapidly donning the armor, but it will allow you to put it on. Very few individual pieces will top 20 pounds.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-09-10, 12:33 PM
The spell description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/unseenServant.htm) says the unseen servant can perform simple tasks. This point could be argued, but I'd say that helping someone put on an armour is a simple task. But the servant's strength score is only 2, the maximum it can lift is 20 pounds. I'd say that if the servant cannot lift the armour, it cannot help you put it on. You think most of the time putting on armor is spent lifting the whole thing? :smallconfused:

Fhaolan
2007-09-10, 12:38 PM
*grin*

"Hold on, I need to don my scale... Can you spot me? I need to do at least 10 reps before I can put it on.."

Fixer
2007-09-10, 01:07 PM
I have a question about the spell "unseen servant" or "invisible servant" or whatever its called (i don't have books and can't check online right now);

Can they be used to help put on armour? My full-plate cleric had a servant that would help don armour - but he is currently in the non-helpful state of "dead" and our party wizard has offered to craft an item of "unseen servant 3/day" for me.

Unseen Servant

And yes.

In fact, this would make for a nice, simple enchantment to put onto an armor: Self-Donning Full Plate Mail

Get into a battle in the middle of the night and you say the command word. While you're busy fighting the armor is busy attaching itself to you improving your AC each round until its normal potential is reached. That would be very cool. :)

skywalker
2007-09-10, 01:11 PM
Unseen Servant

And yes.

In fact, this would make for a nice, simple enchantment to put onto an armor: Self-Donning Full Plate Mail

Get into a battle in the middle of the night and you say the command word. While you're busy fighting the armor is busy attaching itself to you improving your AC each round until its normal potential is reached. That would be very cool. :)

You're looking for *called* from the magic item compendium.

Fixer
2007-09-10, 01:17 PM
*goes and looks it up*

Oh, neat. Not exactly what I was talking about (the Called one is far more powerful) but cool nonetheless.