PDA

View Full Version : Weapons burning while raging

Sir_Chivalry
2018-07-07, 10:31 AM
So I have a barbarian and for character purposes I'd like to have my weapons burn, preferably during rage. Now the obvious answer is just get flaming magic weapons and I'm okay with that but I was interested in exploring what other options there were, so that the rage was (if only in flavor even) fueling the fire.

I can't find much in the way of feats or classes that cause held weapons to deal fire damage save a homebrew on this site (Cruel Sun Berserker, which might fit) and a class from Dragon Magazine (Firestorm Berserker, also interesting though quite a lot of levels before it does what I'm looking for)

Would it be game breaking for the Raging weapon enhancement to deal fire damage? If some of a magic weapon's enhancements only function while raging does that qualify for a small discount on price?

zlefin
2018-07-07, 10:35 AM
you could import pathfinders rage powers in some way; maybe allowing them to be taken via feats?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/Barbarian/rage-powers/paizo-rage-powers/elemental-rage-su

(the unchained barb version of that works a bit different, but you could import that one instead
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/unchained-classes/barbarian-unchained#TOC-Rage-Powers "elemental stance"

Zaq
2018-07-07, 10:45 AM
Look into getting some Desert Wind maneuvers and then only use them when you Rage, maybe?

Psyren
2018-07-07, 11:29 AM
Why not just refluff? The bonus damage from your Furious weapon could manifest as ghostly fire without having to actually do fire damage.

CrazyNoob
2018-07-07, 11:31 AM
Why not a flaming/Flaming burst/Surge weapon that only activates when your raging albeit a discount in cost due to specific criteria.. Or flame blade spell use per day on a sword/weapon that only activates as the triggering mechanism when raging

zergling.exe
2018-07-07, 12:13 PM
Blazing Berserker from Sandstorm sets YOU on fire during a rage and can be taken at level 1. Maybe ask the DM for a homebrew feat that requires it and immolates your weapons?

Goaty14
2018-07-07, 04:06 PM
Why don't you just set your weapons on fire during a rage? :smallconfused: Just soak them in oil, and then beat your weapon against a torch while raging.

ShurikVch
2018-07-07, 10:22 PM
Dragon Warrior PrC (Dragon #298) at 3rd level get ability to temporary add the flaming SA to the sword (called Dragon's Fire), at 4th level - special version of Wis-based Rage (called Dragon's Fury), and at 10th level - the sword is flaming during the Fury (and if you will use Dragon's Fire during the Dragon's Fury, it will add flaming burst SA)

AlanBruce
2018-07-07, 10:26 PM
Doesn't MiC have Energy Crystals that you can simply tack on your weapons? I believe there are three varieties, Least, Lesser and Greater and deal extra damage based on the crystal chosen, like fire.

Just refluff the flames from the crystal enveloping your weapons when you rage. The damage remains the same, but the imagery goes according to what you want.

Talanic
2018-07-08, 01:40 AM
If the fire damage isn't actually as important as the flavor, you could have your weapons Glamered. Normally that's an armor enchantment, though.

Fizban
2018-07-08, 03:53 AM
A Dragon Samurai (from Miniatures Handbook) gets the ability to energize their melee weapons as a free action (ending it would presumably be either a free or non-action)- allowing your weapons to begin burning at exactly the same speed as your rage activates. The class is a little underpowered in my opinion, needing either full BAB or some more uses of the breath weapon to meet proper PC PrC strength.

Darrin
2018-07-08, 07:40 AM
The Dragonfire Assault feat (Dragon Magic) could do this somewhat painlessly. Converts your bonus damage from Power Attack into [fire] damage. So just use PA when you're raging, and you're good to go.

XenolithicBard
2018-07-09, 08:46 PM
Firestorm Beserker from Dragon #314 does exactly this, and has some thematic abilities (immunity to fire and resistance to cold). Mother be worth looking at, although pretty late entry at 8th.

XenolithicBard
2018-07-09, 08:48 PM
Firestorm Berserker from Dragon #314 does exactly this, and has some thematic abilities (immunity to fire and resistance to cold). Might be worth looking at, although pretty late entry at 8th.

Sir_Chivalry
2018-07-10, 08:42 PM
Well those are all extremely helpful!

Thank you everyone!