PDA

View Full Version : Thrown Weapon Numbers

cartejos
2018-07-07, 11:48 AM
Non-Epic
Given a "Standard" Race: Human, Halfling, Elf, the ones considered more "Normal"
Material from Dragon Magazine and all WotC 3.5
Before the modifications from Master Thrower
What are the most number of attacks you can get with thrown weapons? Ignore attack penalties
This is more in the head, before put to paper. Final build will definitely have Master Thrower.

I'm thinking 4 from BAB
3 from TWF (Greater Two Weapon Fighting)
2 from Targeteer (Dragon Magazine Fighter)
1 from Rapid Shot
1 from Haste
4 from Raging Mongoose (Bloodstorm Blade Needed)

That's a total of 15 attacks at -6 (-8 w/o Improved Rapid Shot)

I'm pretty sure that Master Thrower can quadruple it in some fashion. Using same attack rolls but hitting twice or two people or both with the tricks

What are some more possible options?
Can flurry of blows be jammed for 1 or 2 extra attacks? Not sure if it works with thrown stuff, and arguably works with twf. Did not include in above calculations because I know plenty of people on both sides of the argument

Edit: Theoretically speaking, just straight number of attacks possible

heavyfuel
2018-07-07, 12:18 PM
Unorthodox Flurry feat lets you use flurry of blows with any light weapon.

Ramza00
2018-07-07, 12:53 PM
What levels are we talking about? There are so many ways to build a build.

Furthermore perfect maximization of a build where you spend all your resources to be only 10% better at one thing often does not make sense. Sometimes spending all your wealth by level and feats.

----

Take for example this build which is not meant to be a full build but is instead a few level dip.

Totemist 2 + Master Thrower 1

Totemist 2 gets 3 Soulmelds, 2 Essentia, 1 Chakra Bind, Totem Chakra Slot, Wild Empathy

Chaos Roc's Span 2 Non Lethal Wing Buffet Attacks. Note these wings have reach so it is harder to attack the same opponent with a mixture of reach and non adjacent opponents. Then again you can five foot step as part of a full round attack action or use the trick I am about to mention.
1d4
Girallon Arms when bound to your totem gives you 4 claw attacks. It changes your two normal hands into 2 claws, and it gives you 2 "virtual hands" that are half there and half not and these virtual hands make 2 additional claw attacks.
One free totemist soulmeld. Remember though you can't bind this soulmeld to a chakra unless you gain another way to make a chakra for Girallon Arms takes up the 1 Chakra that you get from Totemist 2. Some people put Dragon Tail Soulmeld here as their 3rd soulmeld but Dragon Tail does not actually give you another natural weapon but instead just give you a specific attack that works as standard action using a tale like appendage.

So for a 2 level dip you get 6 natural weapons, or 5 natural weapons if you use a weapon. But if you take improved unarmed strike or a monk dip you can use your legs as a natural weapon while using your claws as your hand weapons as secondary natural attacks.

Master Thrower 1 gives you Two with One Blow allowing you to hit two targets with a single thrown weapon that are in adjacent squares with a single attack roll but you take a -4 penalty.

Now here is "bow" that makes this whole build possible. How do I make my natural weapons including a monk's unarmed strike into thrown weapons? I do this by the 1st level spell Blood Wind, which as a swift action gives a person 1 round buff where as a full round action your natural weapons (including unarmed strikes) can be used as thrown weapons.

Blood Wind can be cast on yourself via spell slots, or you can use a 1st level wand which is cheap and UMD is a thing, or an ally can cast it on you with close range, or even a familiar / mount / animal companion / cohort can cast it on you as long as they can cast spells or use UMD.

So by 6th level you can make a total of 7 attacks hitting up to 14 creatures (BAB 1, plus 6 natural weapons)

Now of course this can get more insane than what I just mentioned for I am not taking up all your resources. You have 3 levels free for this 6th level build, and you do not use any feats, and barely any resources. You can always get your ally use Greater Mighty Wallop on your unarmed strikes, you can always TWF, Snap Kick (Once you get 6 BAB and IUS), and so on.

This build can be any race. But there are other races that get more natural weapon attacks, polymorph, etc.

For example if you did Thri Kreen (So +4 ECL or+3 ECL depending on which version you are using, Shinning South has a 2HD+1 LA psionic less version, EPH has a 2HD+2LA with some psionic abilities) gets 4 claws and 1 bite, plus multi weapon fighting is avaliabile instead of two weapon fighting. Since the 4 claws are part of your 4 hands instead of girallon arms you can take lamia belt soulmeld and add an additional 2 claws that comes from your legs (Lamia belt gives you 4 legs like a lamia / lion and you can use 2 of these legs to make claw attack as secondary natural weapons.)

-----

My point is you have lots of options in 3.5 to make any build and what your parameters of what you are willing to do but also what level and resources you are willing to optimize for determines what type of build you make. Else it is more of a theoretical exercise instead an exercise that will actually see play.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-07, 01:20 PM
Use all of these on a Monk/Master Thrower build.

Full Attack action for iterative attacks with primary hand
Two Weapon Fighting Special Attack for off hand attack
Two Weapon Fighting feat to reduce TWF penalties
Improved Two Weapon Fighting feat for iterative attack with off hand
Greater Two Weapon Fighting feat for additional iterative attack with off hand
Rapid Shot for extra attack with ranged weapon
Flurry of Blows for extra attack with monk weapons (sai or Shuriken)
Greater Flurry for additional extra attack with monk weapons
Palm Throw (Master Thrower) for double darts, shuriken, or daggers with each attack
Two with One Blow (Master Thrower) to hit two adjacent opponents at once with each attack

With this it's possible to make 18 attacks using shurikens for a potential 36 hits.

cartejos
2018-07-07, 01:27 PM
What levels are we talking about? There are so many ways to build a build.

Here's the thing. The point of this post is merely to see a very high number of thrown attacks, not necessarily a build. Getting a -6 to all of your attacks is really bad and I wouldn't generally suggest it, but I definitely put together a combination of stuff that gives a good number of attacks. A better build may be
Bard 3/Totemist 2/Barbarian 1/Warblade 2/Bloodstorm Blade 4/Warblade +8

Pretty good build when feats and items are added, but that's not the point of the post.

My point is you have lots of options in 3.5 to make any build and what your parameters of what you are willing to do but also what level and resources you are willing to optimize for determines what type of build you make. Else it is more of a theoretical exercise instead an exercise that will actually see play.

That's all well and good.... but more attacks is the meaning of the post... and I did mention this was theoretical in the OP.... so....

Edit: I thought I made it clear it was theoretical, I did not, my bad.

Ramza00
2018-07-07, 01:54 PM
That's all well and good.... but more attacks is the meaning of the post... and I did mention this was theoretical in the OP.... so....

Edit: I thought I made it clear it was theoretical, I did not, my bad.
See we are now on the same page for I now know clearly this is a theoretical build.

There are several feats for specific weapons that work like this, but Boomerang Richotet allows you to throw a boomerang and once it hits a target you can attack an adjacent target for the boomerang richotet onto the nearby target. The first attack is as normal, but the 2nd attack has a -2 penalty of hitting the AC of the 2nd target. Now there are several other feats that do similar things for other weapons such as one for thrown shields. I picked Boomerang Richotet for you can also take the feat Boomerang Daze and trigger a Daze effect with a Fort Save of 10+ Damage Dealt.

Now with Master's Thrower palm throw you can throw any weapon that is "small" two at a time. By RAW this only allows darts, shuriken, and daggers and then a 4th choice which is up to your DM. See if your DM would allow the boomerangs. If he does not argue that if you get a wizard to cast Shrink Item on the boomerangs than they are definitely palmable at this time for the item is 4 size categories smaller. Once you throw the boomerang and it hits a target the boomerangs revert to their normal size again to do damage and all that.

Bloodstorm Blade as its capstone ability allows you to target any target within range and attack them and do damage. You get to target each target within range 1 time. But with D&D besides targeting a specfic enemy you can also target a specific square (the intent is attacking things like invisible enemies.) Boomerang Richotet thus allow you to target not just the enemy, but also all the squares that are adjacent to him (thus 9 squares if you are using squares grids) and using boomerang ricochet make the boomerang bounce off the ground and hit the real intended target as the 2nd ricochet attack. In effect giving you 10 attacks against each target within range, 1 main one, and then 9 secondary ones at -2.

cartejos
2018-07-07, 03:07 PM
There are several feats for specific weapons that work like this, but Boomerang Richotet allows you to throw a boomerang and once it hits a target you can attack an adjacent target for the boomerang richotet onto the nearby target. The first attack is as normal, but the 2nd attack has a -2 penalty of hitting the AC of the 2nd target. Now there are several other feats that do similar things for other weapons such as one for thrown shields. I picked Boomerang Richotet for you can also take the feat Boomerang Daze and trigger a Daze effect with a Fort Save of 10+ Damage Dealt.

Now with Master's Thrower palm throw you can throw any weapon that is "small" two at a time. By RAW this only allows darts, shuriken, and daggers and then a 4th choice which is up to your DM. See if your DM would allow the boomerangs. If he does not argue that if you get a wizard to cast Shrink Item on the boomerangs than they are definitely palmable at this time for the item is 4 size categories smaller. Once you throw the boomerang and it hits a target the boomerangs revert to their normal size again to do damage and all that.

Bloodstorm Blade as its capstone ability allows you to target any target within range and attack them and do damage. You get to target each target within range 1 time. But with D&D besides targeting a specfic enemy you can also target a specific square (the intent is attacking things like invisible enemies.) Boomerang Richotet thus allow you to target not just the enemy, but also all the squares that are adjacent to him (thus 9 squares if you are using squares grids) and using boomerang ricochet make the boomerang bounce off the ground and hit the real intended target as the 2nd ricochet attack. In effect giving you 10 attacks against each target within range, 1 main one, and then 9 secondary ones at -2.

Bloodstorm Blade's ability (Blood Storm) allows you to use a full round action to make 1 attack against every target in range. Boomerang Ricochet does not provide an additional source of range, it provides a single extra attack for every ranged attack that you hit with. Blood Storm has a max range of 5 range increments of your ranged weapon. Using an aptitude (light with 20' range incriment) that gets you 100'. That is a square 205 feet by 205 feet, or 44205 feet, 8405 squares, -1 for where you stand. With Master Thrower, Boomerang Ricochet, Blood Storm, and 8404 enemies you can get 2 attacks per enemy: 9808, and each one bounces twice (Boomerang Ricochet and Master Thrower Two With One Blow): 29424 attacks. Something like Fighter 4(For the Feats)/Warblade 1/Master Thrower 5/Bloodstorm Blade 10
Not a ton of optimization to be done, just kinda general, a level of cleric and a level of barbarian would probably be superior to fighter 3-4 because of the devotion feats, pounce, and whirling frenzy

RaiKirah
2018-07-07, 04:08 PM
Ignoring Bloodstorm Blade's Blade Storm ability (creative naming that) which can get you a truly ridiculous number of attacks predicated on being surrounded by thousands of enemies, I'd say look at getting the Multiheaded template and then adding arms. Multiheaded gives Perfect Multiweapon Fighting, which gives you full iteratives with each arm, and can potentially be combined with offhand attacks from the regular Multiweapon Fighting line. Girallon Arms Soulmeld bound to the totem chakra gets four arms, Girallon Arms spell gets to six, and Fiendish Arm Graphs add an arbitrary number more.

cartejos
2018-07-07, 05:59 PM
II'd say look at getting the Multiheaded template and then adding arms. Multiheaded gives Perfect Multiweapon Fighting, which gives you full iteratives with each arm.

Where is Multiheaded from? I saw the Monster Mayhem web article but it didn't offer a Level Adjustment

Ramza00
2018-07-07, 06:17 PM
Where is Multiheaded from? I saw the Monster Mayhem web article but it didn't offer a Level Adjustment

Multiheaded is a Savage Species template that gives both racial hit dice and level adjustment. How much LA depends on how many extra heads but you are going to have a minimum of +2 Racial Hit Dice and + 2 LA.