PDA

View Full Version : Theory build #1 Mt Dwarf Barbarian

ZorroGames
2018-07-08, 08:12 AM
This is a theory character, not to say it never will make a table in AL, but just a Mountain Dwarf build of a Barbarian to see if it is a character I would want to play.

Theory dips could be Fighter or Rogue but, again, this is just a build that may or may not dip.

ST 15+2=17
DE 14 for buying Shield, medium armor early on possibly
CO 15+2=17
IN 8
WI 10, Resilent wisdom feat second after ASI of +1 ST, +1 CO
CH 8

Skills Athletics and Survival from Outlander background- perhaps stereotypical but mechanically solid. Skills chosen Animal Handling (tribe is nomadic herders,) and Nature for flavor.

Halberd (family history) and Great Club for flavor, Explorer’s pack, and 4 x Javelins.

Well feel free to comment, just do not change race or class and we are good for discussion.

CTurbo
2018-07-08, 09:36 AM
This is a theory character, not to say it never will make a table in AL, but just a Mountain Dwarf build of a Barbarian to see if it is a character I would want to play.

Theory dips could be Fighter or Rogue but, again, this is just a build that may or may not dip.

ST 15+2=17
CO 15+2=17
IN 8
CH 8

Skills Athletics and Survival from Outlander background- perhaps stereotypical but mechanically solid. Skills chosen Animal Handling (tribe is nomadic herders,) and Nature for flavor.

Halberd (family history) and Great Club for flavor, Explorer’s pack, and 4 x Javelins.

Well feel free to comment, just do not change race or class and we are good for discussion.

What is the question? lol

It looks like a pretty straightforward Dwarf Barbarian to me. Pretty much looks like what the Mountain Dwarf race was meant for. I'd take +1 Str and Con and PAM at levels 4 and 8 in either order.

CaptAl
2018-07-08, 09:38 AM
Like you said, it's mechanically sound. Pick up polearm master/sentinel/gwm eventually and off you go. Anything interesting that comes from this build will have to come from role-play and the personality that theory build #1 develops.

ZorroGames
2018-07-08, 09:46 AM
What is the question? lol

It looks like a pretty straightforward Dwarf Barbarian to me. Pretty much looks like what the Mountain Dwarf race was meant for. I'd take +1 Str and Con and PAM at levels 4 and 8 in either order.

Started easy. 😉 No real question but more a input for stuff I need to consider if I play this guy. 🧐🤔

ZorroGames
2018-07-08, 09:51 AM
Like you said, it's mechanically sound. Pick up polearm master/sentinel/gwm eventually and off you go. Anything interesting that comes from this build will have to come from role-play and the personality that theory build #1 develops.

Like my sig block says, I add as much role play as I can. 🗺

If I dip Fighter I would lean towards the sarcastic “Murphy’s Law” grizzled vet (that should be easy for me.). 🤠

If I dip Rogue I would lean towards being hired muscle for a Thieves Guild. 😡

If I do not dip then enthusiastic slightly naive “Young Dwarf” out to win fame and fortune 🔮 for improving my chances of getting a wife and tribal status when I decide “It is time.” 😇

CTurbo
2018-07-08, 10:13 AM
Which Barb subclass were you thinking? I'm not sure I would bother with multiclassing at least not anytime soon.

Res(Con) is nice for Barbs but I wouldn't take it until late unless you're specifically having trouble with Wis saves as in your DM targets you with them.

Level 4 PAM or +1 Str and Con
Level 8 PAM or +1 Str and Con
Level 12 +2 Str
Level 16 Res(Wis)
Level 19 +2 Con

I normally wouldn't plan past around level 8 though. There is no telling what you would want to take by level 12. You could end up wanting Mobile or Alert or something. That happened to me before. I had plans, but ending up needing and taking Alert instead.

CaptAl
2018-07-08, 10:23 AM
Like my sig block says, I add as much role play as I can. 🗺

If I dip Fighter I would lean towards the sarcastic “Murphy’s Law” grizzled vet (that should be easy for me.). 🤠

If I dip Rogue I would lean towards being hired muscle for a Thieves Guild. 😡

If I do not dip then enthusiastic slightly naive “Young Dwarf” out to win fame and fortune 🔮 for improving my chances of getting a wife and tribal status when I decide “It is time.” 😇

As it's AL, getting to 20th is highly unlikely. I like the Grizzled Vet option. Couple levels of champion for crit fishing with reckless attack.

You really can't go wrong with any of the three. The halberd won't play well with sneak attack, but that's a minor adjustment to pick up a short sword and brutally skewer people.

I'd be tempted to consider a short sword + shield playstyle and pick up shield master. I'd ask if that table uses Crawdad's interpretation of the feat before using it though, as his order of operations kinda nerfs the knockdown a bit. It's a good way to keep advantage without granting advantage to every mob on the field via reckless. Especially good for the crit fishing and the rogue builds.

djreynolds
2018-07-08, 10:27 AM

ST 15+2=17
CO 15+2=17
IN 8
CH 8

Looks like another great build

I would grab PAM at 4th level, theoretically in a 10 round fight, that's around a minimum 40 points of damage you are missing out on (+3x10 and 1 of 1d4) ,if you connect, and pretty solid and consistent reaction attack

I like resilient wisdom at 8th, but remember that calm emotions is a 2nd level bard and cleric spell that can fix fear and charm

Obviously ASI in strength and con is always a top idea

GWM is awesome, even better with a cleric spamming bless which also helps with saving throws

Sentinel, I like it, but it really requires a consistent melee partner and it may be better for you melee partner to have sentinel as a reckless attacking barbarian attracts attacks