PDA

View Full Version : What Tortle is best Tortle?

Klaus Teufel
2018-07-08, 09:14 AM
What character class(es) goes best with the Tortle race?

CaptAl
2018-07-08, 09:33 AM
It's kind of an awkward race. They get good AC out of the gate, plus strength and wisdom bonuses. So, a barbarian would play well if you ignore unarmored defense and just use your shell AC. I feel that a druid or other squishier caster could benefit from the shell armor as well. A strength based Monk could be interesting, again, ignoring unarmored defense and relying on your shell, be a ninja Tortle.

MrStabby
2018-07-08, 09:36 AM
I think hexblade. Sure the stats don't match up all that well but most weapon fighters use their attack stat for armour - strength to wear heavy armour or Dex for lighter armours. Having a class that uses Cha for attacks leaves that defence question open. Tortle fills the gap nicely.

thrdeye
2018-07-08, 10:25 AM
I think hexblade. Sure the stats don't match up all that well but most weapon fighters use their attack stat for armour - strength to wear heavy armour or Dex for lighter armours. Having a class that uses Cha for attacks leaves that defence question open. Tortle fills the gap nicely.

You're still going to need decent Dex anyway, and now you have two attribute points in your dump stat and one that you can't make good use of. It's certainly workable, but I'd have to question whether it's the best. Perhaps if you were going for a multiclass requiring Str or Wis?

CTurbo
2018-07-08, 10:29 AM
Any of the Wis based races would work.

I could see a Tortle War or Tempest Cleric being pretty decent. 19 AC with Shield using Str weapons.

Str Ranger would work.

Pretty much Any Str class would work too.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-08, 10:41 AM
Pretty much Any Str class would work too.
In particular, any class which could be Str-based if it wasn't for AC. Rangers in particular, I think; being able to go pure Str opens up new options, as would a Str-based Monk with, say, a Fighter 1 dip.

MrStabby
2018-07-08, 10:54 AM
In particular, any class which could be Str-based if it wasn't for AC. Rangers in particular, I think; being able to go pure Str opens up new options, as would a Str-based Monk with, say, a Fighter 1 dip.

Oh a Tortle str ranger does have a certain appeal...

PeteNutButter
2018-07-08, 11:32 AM
As long as multiclassing is on the table any class that wants a decent AC could usually just start with a single level in fighter except for the barbarian, Druid, and monk.

Druid of course has silly armor requirements so getting that splint AC is precious. This is critical if you are planning on being on the front line and aren’t a Moon Druid.

Barbarian typically precludes prevents heavy armor usage. Tortle AC does match half plate but half plate costs 7 point buy points into dex to match it. Freeing those up on the other hand enables fun MC options for the barbarian such as paladin with a decent cha.

Lastly monk cannot wear armor without losing a variety of their features. The tortle AC is equal to a level 4-7 monks AC but will likely never increase. This is best used to combine monk with other classes that might be MAD.

GorogIrongut
2018-07-08, 11:45 AM
If I were going Tortle I would:
a. Just go Cleric and not worry about wearing any armour.
b. Go Druid and laugh at the non metallic armour rule.
c. Go multi class and get 2 levels in barbarian while putting the rest in Ranger as the ranger seems to benefit the most (armour, strength and wisdom). Make it a melee ranger and profit from reckless attack.

Naanomi
2018-07-08, 12:19 PM
Druids get the most boost (to me) to the armor

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-08, 02:57 PM
Oh a Tortle str ranger does have a certain appeal...
Go Primeval Guardian, pick up a glaive...

Lord Haart
2018-07-08, 05:53 PM
Teenage multiclass Long Death monk.

Klaus Teufel
2018-07-09, 12:30 AM
A lot of interesting suggestions! What about Str Rogue?

Although I don't understand Lord Haart's post.

Kane0
2018-07-09, 12:41 AM
A strength based Monk could be interesting, again, ignoring unarmored defense and relying on your shell, be a ninja Tortle.

Teenage multiclass Long Death monk.

Can't go wrong with a Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortle.

Dragonkingofth
2018-07-09, 12:53 AM
Strength monk/Barbarian multi class.

opaopajr
2018-07-09, 03:14 AM
Can't go wrong with a Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortle.

Yup, teenage mutant ninja tortles are the best tortles.

Now someone has to stat up Bebop & Rocksteady.

Malifice
2018-07-09, 03:58 AM
Monk.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/trollpasta/images/6/60/Turtle.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170305163004

Willie the Duck
2018-07-09, 06:40 AM

Or any class that wants to open up the RP option of another high stat--barbarian that wants to be a leader amongst his tribe (maybe Cha 13 and Inspiring leader feat), and thus isn't going to have the stats to do Dex+Con (or Dex 14 plus medium armor) based AC, as and example.

nickl_2000
2018-07-09, 06:49 AM
A Strength Rogue/Barbarian Grappler would be a decent choice too. 2 Levels rogue for bonus actions and expertise and the rest Barbarian. Then if you want to be really nasty, you can drag them underwater while grappled and drown them.

Nidgit
2018-07-09, 12:45 PM
Hexblade multiclasses let you be even more SAD.

Incorrect
2018-07-10, 06:26 AM
If you consider the RP aspect, you might want to consider alternatives to tortle Str Ranger.
I mean, why would the rest of the party trust this tortal stranger...

Willie the Duck
2018-07-10, 07:30 AM
If you consider the RP aspect, you might want to consider alternatives to tortle Str Ranger.

Your avatar is a woman, but I swear you must be a dad to tell a groaner like that.

xroads
2018-07-10, 01:12 PM
If I were going Tortle I would:
a. Just go Cleric and not worry about wearing any armour.
b. Go Druid and laugh at the non metallic armour rule.
c. Go multi class and get 2 levels in barbarian while putting the rest in Ranger as the ranger seems to benefit the most (armour, strength and wisdom). Make it a melee ranger and profit from reckless attack.

I would go so far as to say use cleric domains that don't offer the heavy armor proficiency, to get the most bang for the buck.

GreyBlack
2018-07-10, 01:35 PM
A strength based Monk could be interesting, again, ignoring unarmored defense and relying on your shell, be a ninja Tortle.

Only if I can play as an adolescent with a third arm or is larger than normal. Then I would totally play a teenage mutant ninja Tortle.

Pronounceable
2018-07-10, 01:44 PM
Obviously Michelang... wait nvm...

FabulousFizban
2018-07-10, 04:57 PM
Tortle Soup

Temperjoke
2018-07-10, 05:14 PM
Obviously Michelang... wait nvm...

You know what? As a kid, Michelangelo was my favorite, but growing up, I identified more with Raphael and his general frustration with life.

Anyways, on the actual subject.

For some reason I personally keep wanting to make either a druid or sorcerer when I think of a tortle. It's probably because I like using racial bonuses to make up for dump stats when I make characters, that way I don't have any really low scores.

Phoenix042
2018-07-10, 10:29 PM

I believe you have just won the playground for today.

I laughed for more than a minute. My girlfriend groaned in pain.

It was puntacular.