PDA

View Full Version : Ferocious Charger (Cavalier ability)

MaxWilson
2018-07-08, 10:00 AM
I just noticed something amusing:

"If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line before attacking a creature and you hit it with the attack, that target must succeed on a Strength saving throw [DC the usual] or be knocked prone. You can use this feature only once on each of your turns."

Not only does this not require a melee attack, but I just noticed that it has no size limitation or requirement that you move directly toward the target. So, if fling a sling stone at a dragon flying towards me, nothing special happens, but if I run ten feet backwards and then fling the sling stone, I may knock that dragon right out of the sky.

Who knew? :)

Desteplo
2018-07-08, 10:09 AM
Fun. But DM dependent
- “Charger” implies toward the target.
- going to take a casual DM for this to fly on a table

KorvinStarmast
2018-07-08, 10:11 AM
I just noticed something amusing:

"If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line before attacking a creature and you hit it with the attack, that target must succeed on a Strength saving throw [DC the usual] or be knocked prone. You can use this feature only once on each of your turns."

Not only does this not require a melee attack, but I just noticed that it has no size limitation or requirement that you move directly toward the target. So, if fling a sling stone at a dragon flying towards me, nothing special happens, but if I run ten feet backwards and then fling the sling stone, I may knock that dragon right out of the sky.

Who knew? :) The trick there is to have an ally do something to make the dragon's chance to save STR reduced. Diviner Wizard or Wild Magic Sorcerer?

Unoriginal
2018-07-08, 10:44 AM
Except you're deliberately the part of the rule showing why your thing doesn't work.

Starting at 15th level, you can run down your foes, whether you’re mounted or not.

Ferocious Charger is an ability that let you run down your enemy, via an attack done after running 10ft in a straight line.

Do you REALLY want to argue that you can run down people by throwing a fling's stone at them after moving away from them?

Now, you're absolutely right the ability doesn't say size categories matter. So an Halfling Cavalier could knock prone an Ancient Dragon or a Balor, which is awesome.