PDA

View Full Version : Join me for storytime

Stryyke
2018-07-08, 08:14 PM
I know this has been done, but I'm curious. So what is the most fun character you've ever played?

Bear in mind, not the most OP character, or the character that survived the longest. The character you've had the most fun playing.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-07-08, 08:36 PM
Art, my changeling chameleon. Built him to be able to fake as many classes as possible and kitted him out with gear for the same. Art liked to be somebody new every couple of days and was obsessed with the changeling children's game "I'm you." Even got to impersonate some of the other party members on occasion. Might have to dust him off again if my current character eats it.

Stryyke
2018-07-08, 09:57 PM
Mine was an Ogre named Stiv Gro Fur. 6 INT. One of the party members gave him a shiny, and Stiv followed them around till he died. I have a ton of stories from Stiv. He only lived about 6 months (IRL) but it was a hoot. He bit the dust when he went for a snack in the local stalls. He was hungry and asked the party if he could eat. The guy he was following dismissively waved him away and said "Just go find something." LOL Had the entire town guard on him when he returned. They overwhelmed him in the end. RIP Stiv.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-08, 10:35 PM
CE Cleric of Nerull who almost TPK'd the rest of the party.

The DM was having problems with PvP derailing his game all of the time. He invited me to play in the hopes that maybe I could help him to re-focus the party on questing instead of killing each other. So I created this heroic character and tried to encourage rest of the party to stop fighting each other and take the fight to our common enemies instead.

A half-dozen characters later...*sigh*...I gave up trying to create these heroic characters and instead created this evil S.O.B. who didn't even try to hide what a complete villain he was. The other players were caught a bit off guard by this one. They held back from their usual shenanigans to see what he was all about.

Their mistake.

I managed to get the drop on them all. Stripped them of all their gear and dropped them into a pit covered with a portcullis. Poured oil over them all, and dropped a torch...

That should have been the end of them. But one of the PCs was a cleric of Boccob. The player told the DM his character called out to his deity to save them. Yeah. Boccob the Uncaring. That deity. The DM laughed and told him that he could roll percentile dice in front of everyone and if he rolled a '00' then Boccob would save the entire group.

It was a 1 in 100 chance. There should have been a lot of fire, smoke, screaming, and then just my character walking away whistling a happy tune.

Nope.

He rolled it. Right then and there with all of us watching. I even checked afterward to make sure they weren't loaded dice. But the DM had already made the promise. So he told them they all wake up naked in the middle of some wilderness a long way away. They managed to make it to a settlement and get help from there.

My cleric was turned into an NPC at that point and I got a new PC instead. The party became obsessed with trying to hunt down my old character and stopped all of their infighting. I don't even remember my new character very much. But I do remember the feeling of pride every time my old PC turned up and manged to get one over the party yet again. They never did manage to get even with him in the end. :smallamused:

Crake
2018-07-09, 02:04 AM
I wouldn't say the most fun, but probably one of the most memorable would have been Uthgar, the level 3 dungeoncrasher fighter.

So I had a bit of a string of bad luck, having lost 2 characters over the last 2 sessions, my first, a druid, who died to a save or die story effect by rolling a 2, and my second, a rogue who put on a cursed cloak, and despite the best efforts of the party was unable to be rescued, so I when I ended up rolling a series of highly mediocre ability scores, I made a 4 cha dwarf.

Note that we were playing a homebrew 3.5 conversion of the original 1e temple of elemental evil, and by this point, the party was still hanging around the outside of the temple near the gate, having done a few forays into the temple grounds, but not into the temple itself yet. The rest of the party consisted of: Another druid, a cleric of pelor, a paladin of pelor, and a monk. Now, my dwarf has heard about this so-called-temple of elemental evil, and thought it'd be a good place to gain some glory and fame, so he's strolling down the path, only to spot the party camped by the road. There's some introductions, with my character announcing his plans to stroll into the temple and break some bodies, only to have the party warn him off it, saying that that was their plan too, but it would be better to go in together. Note Uthgar is incredibly stubborn, and it takes a good amount of time for him to be convinced. It's near night time, so the party just decide to rest, Uthgar included.

Now, of course, this DM was one of those "hardcore" (read: tyrranical) DMs, who likes to throw practical party wipes at the party every fight, so we, a party of level 3s, are attacked by no less than 2 ghasts and 5 ghouls in the middle of the night! Of course, now, Uthgar was the first PROPER damage dealer the party had ever had, so with his greataxe in hand, and some we placed bullrushes, Uthgar managed to wipe them up without even so much as a scratch, though the rest of the party wasn't so lucky. So while the cleric was busy healing everyone, Uthgar began to insist the party go in and raid the temple right away, as there was no use just waiting outside to be endlessly attacked by the foul monsters that roamed. Of course, he was met by staunch resistance, as the cleric and the druid wanted to regain their spells (read: wait a whole 24+ hours to regain spells), and throughout the little tiff, some things were thrown about about a certain paladin's god, which didn't go down very well at all. Now naturally, the player, who was quite new to playing a paladin, threw down over it, and demanded my dwarf either rescind his words, or face him in a duel.

Of course you can guess which option Uthgar took. It wasn't long before the two had weapons in hand, and were facing each other off, but of course, I had a dungeoncrasher, who wasn't evil, vs a paladin with nothing to use against me save power attack, which was practically useless against a dwarf clad in fullplate. He did manage a few good hits, but that was while Uthgar spent a round or two lining up a good bullrush, at which point the paladin quite literally crumpled against the wall, well below -10 HP (only to be saved by the DM's literal plot armor that healed the paladin up above -10, but still unconscious).

Now, at this point, the druid saw that, and supposedly noticed that was SUPPOSED to be a lethal blow, but magically wasnt, and flew into a rage, summoning a crocodile to attack Uthgar, which, in his already weakened state was enough to knock him out, but THAT sparked an outrage from the cleric of pelor, who saw the druid interrupting an "honourable 1v1 fite me duel", and promptly cast hold person on him, then announced "I walk up to him and slit his throat".... with a mace (which immediately became a timeless joke at our table). A bit of out of character talk later, the player was convinced that slitting a helpless person's throat, with a mace or otherwise, was highly against pelor's code of conduct, so he instead went with knocking the druid out, before healing Uthgar and the paladin up. The paladin was on amicable terms with the druid, so he then went and brought the druid up with lay on hands, only to find he'd lost his paladin powers, for, get this: The sin of pride. Yup, that's right.

So at this point, the party was in shambles, but Uthgar was at full hp, fully equipped, and pumped after 2 glorious fights, so he announced to the party that he was going into the temple, and they could either come with him, or stay behind. Naturally, they made the sensible decision of staying behind.

Not to be deterred, Uthgar threw open the gates and marched on into the temple grounds, walking right up to the front door. Now, supposedly the door was enchanted with a permanencied antipathy spell cast by an epic level wizard, one of the circle of 8, for those who know their greyhawk lore. The rest of the party had all failed their saves against it, but naturally... NATURALLY.... Uthgar walks right up to it, and rolls a natural 20 to resist. Now these doors are enchanted with a magical seal, meant to keep the evil inside the temple. So what does Uthgar do? He does what any dungeoncrasher would do. He winds up a kick, and then boots in the front door. It takes a couple of kicks, but a 16 strength dwarf with dungeoncrasher has +8 on their break down doors check, the equivilent of an ogre with 26 strength, and guess what the DC of a 2 inch thick iron door is to break open? 28. The clang of the door, and the wail of evil was so loud the party could hear it from outside the temple grounds, which of course, caused a bit of a stir in character, and of course, many laughs were being had out of character. However, not even 5 minutes into the temple, with not a single enemy found, Uthgar found a deck of many things, and unsuspectingly drew the void card and died. He was seen again later as a bodak, who killed the cleric with his gaze attack when he rolled a natural 1 :smalltongue:

And so goes the story of Uthgar. A one session wonder, he came, he broke the party's paladin, ruined the relationship between the cleric and the druid, and broke open one of the seals keeping Zuggtmoy sealed up, and then promptly died a completely anticlimactic death. And yes, you read correctly, the monk wasn't mentioned at any point during that whole story, because he didn't do anything of note at any point.

Warchon
2018-07-09, 03:49 AM
A 4e Warlock.
We had found out that a pack of Wererats was recruiting the local peasantry, so we got to the meeting grounds ahead of everybody.
We found a built-but-not-lit bonfire there and figured that would be the signal for the commoners to summon the rats. My character burrowed into the ashes underneath and waited for the meeting. The rest of the party hid in the bushes and whatnot.
I don't remember the name of the ability, but when the peasants arrived and moved in to light the fire, my Warlock decided to convince them that something hinky and awful was going on, and cast an area effect tentacle attack thing, centered on himself, still hidden in the ashes. The idea was of course that they would fear demons or some nasty God was involved, and run away.

I didn't think to designate the commoners as "not enemies."
I rolled a natural 20 to hit.
I rolled max damage.

The party had to rush in to hide 50 bodies before the were rats could show up and see the carnage. Miraculously, the DM only forced my alignment to change to Chaotic Stupid.

haplot
2018-07-09, 10:10 AM
most fun ive had, short term at least, was supposed to be an NPC, but the GM gave the char to me to play. Wasn't for DnD though.

Background.
As a child, my halfling witnessed her entire family wiped out by a big scalely flappy thing (read dragon!) got brought up by a local dwarf blacksmith, and his son (son being a PC who was in theory supposed to keep me out of trouble). My halfling grew up thinking she was a dwarf because of this.

Ended up though cursing the character along with rest of party due to fact that any time she got told not to do something specific, like pull a lever of a lift when dwarf PC and me were on it, she'd go 'what lever? this one?' and pull it (should have killed us, but GM fudged things :D)

she ended up with multiple personalities that would change at a drop of a hat, and no one knew which personality would be present at any one time.

At one point in campaign, we ended up investigating a keep that was devoid of anything living. One of party lit the signal fire at the top, signallying one of keeps allies to something being wrong there. He turned up with his undead army and we, thinking the keep was under attack, starting attacking the 'hostile' army...

Was one of those campaigns that was fun at the time, but i'd never, ever want to go back to constantly apologising to party for acting in character

CharonsHelper
2018-07-09, 10:22 AM
A PFS (Pathfinder) bard - Sareif Bladetongue, the self-proclaimed "Greatest of All Pathfinders!".

He was basically a melee tanky build, so he led the way into melee while inspiring his allies with tales about the greatest of all Pathfinders (himself). He would tell stories of previous adventures (even ones the group had just lived through) but adjusted to show himself doing nearly everything important.

He was straight Neutral - but he liked to be seen being heroic. He basically did it for the glory rather than to actually help anyone.

"And lo and behold, Sareif Bladetongue stepped forth alone to have the orcish horde break against him as waves against the rock. You remember - you were there doing... something."

and

"Remember - think WWSBD (What Would Sareif Bladetongue Do?)"

Plus he was constantly flipping back his hair. And yes - I did dump Wisdom.

It was also great being a bard who always had the highest AC in the party since level 3 when he snagged a mithril breastplate. Since he played with many different GMs, you'd be surprised how many times the GM would get an evil glint in his eye the first time that I charged into the midst of the enemy as the bard, and then making me tell them how I had a 27 AC at level 4-5.

His damage was mediocre (though Fencing Grace & Arcane Strike made it decent), but his job in combat was buffing and playing speed-bump, while out of combat he was face & utility caster. Any damage he did was gravy.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2018-07-09, 07:51 PM
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1st edition rules i had a rogue path character whose backstory was that he was a pirate who had been marooned on a monster infested island for an indeterminate amount of time and had slowly gone crazy before the rest of the party found him. Not the strongest character in that campaign by a long shot, but he held his own and was tons of fun to roleplay. Ended up losing his soul in a deal with the BBEG gone bad (literally asked at least one NPC per session if theyd seen my soul anywhere), regained it, got caught up in another deal where i became a champion of an evil deity, only to renounce it a few months later in game and became a force for good. Probably one of very few characters ive had where i basically shaped the campaign arc and the GM and rest of the party were just trying to keep up.
The Gm had homebrewed weapon specialization advancement profiles that we could take in addition to the standard job system in game; everyone else had gone basically for straight up melee specializations, i went parry and dodge, by the end of the campaign i had 110% chance to dodge melee attacks and 90% to dodge ballistics. Broke his system, loads of fun.

Afgncaap5
2018-07-10, 02:21 AM
Are we talking D&D 3.5? In that case... probably my first one, Monty du Carabas, the Uncanny Trickster. I didn't know all the rules at the time (and neither did the DM, though he faked it super well) so we just had lotsa fun. Got him to level 23-ish, so I can at least say I did get a character all the way to 20th level Rogue and 3rd level Uncanny Trickster. Then the challenges kinda petered out.

Or are we talking any D&D? If that's the case, Corrin Greenbottle my halfling hermit warlock in 5e. He had the archfey pact(ish), and when my background said I'd "made a discovery" as a hermit I asked my DM if I could tie it to my patron. My patron was "The Unseen Wall", a mythical wall that allegedly had lots of wisdom and madness written upon it. My discovery was a Slab that looked like it fell off of an ancient building, but the surface kept changing. Usually at least once every five minutes when no one was looking it might shift. I maintained that what it said was always a portion of the Unseen Wall, and that by carefully observing it we could slowly figure out what the entire Unseen Wall said. It usually had something that *sounded* applicable, but wouldn't necessarily be. It got to the point where the party's paladin of Tritherion would ask me to "consult the wall" to see if there was any wisdom that could be gleaned from it. Generally, I "consulted the wall" by going to the Oblique Strategies (http://stoney.sb.org/eno/oblique.html) website. And for anyone who doesn't wanna click, the first five bits of "wisdom" I'm getting from it right now are: Distorting time, Emphasize the flaws, The tape is now the music, Lowest common denominator, and Would anybody want it? (For some reason, I think the most common answer I got was (Organic) Machinery, but maybe it just stuck out more when I was clicking for new results.)

Or are we talking about *any* game system? If that's the case, then my absolute all-time most favoritest of favorite characters has to be Robotia Lemnia, the Bot of Many Parts, a pre-made character found in the first book of the Cosmic Patrol (http://www.cosmicpatrol.com) RPG. That game is one of the best RPGs ever devised and tragically few people know about it. It's done "improv style", so it's best played with friends who are good at spur of the moment turns of phrase, and who are good laughing at and with each other. I can't really explain all the in-jokes and action sequences that Robotia Lemnia got into with his friends, the Intrepid Crew of the Sun Shovel Seven. But I *can* tell you that we're one better in every way than the crew of the Moon Raker Six. Also, because I decided early on that my running speed was too slow to ever effectively escape from enemies, the crew's Venutian Scientist used her robotics expertise to rig me up with a faster speed that, for some still vaguely defined reason, only operates if I'm noisily blaring a "Hits of the 80s" aethernet radio station. So I can either be fast or quiet but never both.

Oh, and after a crew member lost his arm to a monster, I noted that my pre-gen character sheet said that I was a shameless kleptomaniac and stole any parts, so I now have a flash-frozen-but-gradually-decaying space marine's arm. I offer that other player high-fives as often as I can, unless I'm dramatically pointing at something with said arm.

sjeshin
2018-07-10, 04:28 PM
I know this has been done, but I'm curious. So what is the most fun character you've ever played?

Bear in mind, not the most OP character, or the character that survived the longest. The character you've had the most fun playing.

My favorite character was a rogue / warlock I made for one of my buddies campaigns. Cheap darkness + devils sight + sneak attack made for some fun ambushes. Everyone else had some way to see through it and we would cast darkness on arrows or bolts and shoot them into combat during a surprise round sometimes. Just attacking at night and using these shenanigans carefully gave us a whole new attack angle for combat or escaping until darkness wasn't that relavant anymore. Those first few levels were a blast though.