PDA

View Full Version : CQS or TWF?

Phazed
2018-07-08, 10:36 PM
for a build that uses SS and throwing daggers

CTurbo
2018-07-08, 10:44 PM
I would tend to say CQS since it fits so well with your actual preferred style, but "throwing" daggers at 5ft seems silly. TWF helps a lot when you get stuck in melee but can't you just avoid melee better? Weren't you planning on Scout Rogue levels too or am I thinking about somebody else?

Arcangel4774
2018-07-08, 10:51 PM
Raw SS doesn't apply to thrown daggers (I'm fairly certain) so you'll have to check exactly what your allowed to use with them with your dm.

That being said CQS has more to offer. TWF adds 5(tops) to a bonus action attack. CQS gives 1 to hit, makes ranged viable point blank (removes disdvantage) and through this gives you that beloved-5/10 which the 1 to hit helps with.

strangebloke
2018-07-08, 10:56 PM
Can't use throwing daggers with sharpshooter. SS only applies to attacks with ranged weapons, not ranged attacks. It's a really stupid rules interaction.

I'd allow it, though.

CTurbo
2018-07-08, 11:05 PM
I'm fairly sure he was talked to his DM about allowing SS with throwing daggers but yeah he should have mentioned that

Phazed
2018-07-09, 12:06 AM
Raw SS doesn't apply to thrown daggers (I'm fairly certain) so you'll have to check exactly what your allowed to use with them with your dm.

That being said CQS has more to offer. TWF adds 5(tops) to a bonus action attack. CQS gives 1 to hit, makes ranged viable point blank (removes disdvantage) and through this gives you that beloved-5/10 which the 1 to hit helps with.

my dm allows it,

Phazed
2018-07-09, 12:08 AM
I would tend to say CQS since it fits so well with your actual preferred style, but "throwing" daggers at 5ft seems silly. TWF helps a lot when you get stuck in melee but can't you just avoid melee better? Weren't you planning on Scout Rogue levels too or am I thinking about somebody else?

i talked about a dagger throwing build. but not with scout, probably assassin or swashbuckler
and yeah honestly thats one of the hard parts for me is how i would justify throwing daggers at 5ft. like it doesn't make a lot of sense if a monster just hit me and then its my turn right after. how would you make that work?

and yeah i have zeypher strike to avoid melee most of the time. i did a session last night and i did get stuck in melee like twice and i did some melee attacks and i felt so weak compared to the 4 rogue 1 fighter

Phazed
2018-07-09, 12:10 AM
Can't use throwing daggers with sharpshooter. SS only applies to attacks with ranged weapons, not ranged attacks. It's a really stupid rules interaction.

I'd allow it, though.

a dart is pretty much the same as a throwing dagger so he allows it with daggers. but im tossed up on if i want twf or cqs.

CTurbo
2018-07-09, 01:46 AM
Your melee will improve with more Rogue levels and when you get a second attack. Swashbuckler would make it easy to pull off sneak damage. TWF is only going to give you a conditional +3 to 5 damage a round and only when you're stuck in melee. CQS at least boosts your to-hit with ranged attacks even if the rest is not used most of the time. Scout does help you stay out of melee though.

CTurbo
2018-07-09, 01:55 AM
Also, I think for the style you're wanting, you'd be better served using your Cunning Action to dash out of melee when you do get stuck.

Phazed
2018-07-09, 05:23 AM
Also, I think for the style you're wanting, you'd be better served using your Cunning Action to dash out of melee when you do get stuck.

thats so true, i honestly didn't even think about that at level 2 rogue i can just disengage from melee. so twf wouldn't have as much use as a +1 to hit and no disadvantage at 5 feet.

Aaron Underhand
2018-07-09, 06:57 AM
If you have a feat consider mobile, then bonus action hide or dodge....

ImproperJustice
2018-07-09, 07:04 AM
5’ is further than you think?

Also you could justify the attack as a rapid switch to melee. They are still daggers after all :)

Phazed
2018-07-11, 06:52 AM
Can’t tell if ur saying take cqs or not because I can just disengage and to grab TWF for the melee. Or

Arcangel4774
2018-07-11, 07:46 AM
like it doesn't make a lot of sense if a monster just hit me and then its my turn right after. how would you make that work?

As your off balance from dodging or being hit by the attack you quickly throw it. Imagine like your momentum is driving you away from the enemy.