PDA

View Full Version : Tried to post gamer in distress thread and link

Kylo Zen
2018-07-10, 01:40 AM
Well, a gamer grognard I know is doing a kickstarter to help a game designer and writer who is really down right now. I jumped thru the hoops to join, went to post the message and, cue Nelson muntz "Haw! Haw!", I was told I could not post a Link and asked to please remove the link and retry.

After a few shouted obscenities and sincere Ill wishes towards the people running this board I am unapologetic for I sent a pm to some mod asking it to post the link.

So I'm done here. I hope the mod posts the link but can't make it post it. In any case I tried. I've found little but frustration here and don't see much point in returning. Also after seeing ' da roolz' bit saying a mod could hack up your post any way it wanted to and you got infracted if you deleted the altered post I decided the mods here are a little too pompous for my tastes. I swear youbgive some git a trace of power and suddenly he thinks he's master of the universe.

So I do. Hope the link gets posted and the cause gets helped but I may never find out as this place just doesn't seem right for me.

Khedrac
2018-07-10, 02:35 AM
I suspect that you have run afoul of the "minimum number of posts necessary to posts links" rule. This rule was added to try to limit the excessive number of spam bots that seem to target this site. I believe the mods were very reluctant to carry out the change, but events forced their hands.

I *think* the equirement is 10 posts, and if you cannt find 10 threads on this board that you can meaningfully join in the conversation on then your product probably won't fit the bard members demographic (start with the "hello and welcome to new members thread").
There are a number of threads specifically for Kickstarter (or similar) links and you can always drop the test of the link without making it into a hyperlink into a post on one of them - come back and edit it to be a real link when you have enough posts. (Break up the link so it is not recognised as a link if it gives problems.)

Ninja_Prawn
2018-07-10, 05:05 AM
the mods here are a little too pompous for my tastes.

I don't know how you've come to this conclusion. The mods here do an excellent job keeping the forum running.

I've been a member for three years and lurked for a year before that, and I've never once witnessed any overreach or abuse of power by the mods.

You only need to make 10 posts to start posting links. The spam situation before they introduced that rule was ridiculous. There really was no other option.

Brother Oni
2018-07-10, 06:19 AM
You only need to make 10 posts to start posting links. The spam situation before they introduced that rule was ridiculous. There really was no other option.

Given that he's apparently made an account here solely to advertise a product (and his post history supports that), what he's doing is only a small step up from the spam bots (only real difference is that he's advertising a kickstarter rather than commercial product).

ufo
2018-07-10, 06:49 AM
I don't know how you've come to this conclusion. The mods here do an excellent job keeping the forum running.

I've been a member for three years and lurked for a year before that, and I've never once witnessed any overreach or abuse of power by the mods.

To be fair, isn't it a little bit reading in bad faith when you snipe-quote the post to leave out their reason for coming to that conclusion? Maybe there's something to be said for the board's guidelines seeming strict with no context given - though I also think it'd be nicer for anyone to assume that there's context before jumping to conclusions of the moderator's agenda.

2D8HP
2018-07-10, 09:59 AM
[....]So I'm done here[....]

Ten posts isn't much of a burden, but if all you want to do is one advertisement than yeah I suppose that this Forum isn't for you.

Kylo Zen
2018-07-10, 11:14 AM
Does this board lower people's I. Q.s somehow? I was trying to post a link to a charity drive to help a game writer who is down. So I get called a spammer?

Fine, you want 10 posts? OK!!!!

Kylo Zen
2018-07-10, 11:15 AM
Third post.

Kylo Zen
2018-07-10, 11:17 AM
Fourth post.

Kylo Zen
2018-07-10, 11:19 AM
Fifth post.

Kylo Zen
2018-07-10, 11:20 AM
Sixth post.

Kylo Zen
2018-07-10, 11:21 AM
Seventh post.

Kylo Zen
2018-07-10, 11:22 AM
Eigth post.

Kylo Zen
2018-07-10, 11:23 AM
Ninth post.

LeSwordfish
2018-07-10, 11:23 AM
c-c-combo breaker

But seriously, folks! This won't make people take you seriously, and will just get you banned for spamming.

Kylo Zen
2018-07-10, 11:25 AM
tenth post!!!!

After going thru this I realized some mod would probably delete the post I wanted to make about helping a vet gamer just to be a **** or possibly troll the fundraiser so I decided not to post it here. What a waste of my time....

hamishspence
2018-07-10, 11:33 AM
This is the thread for Crowdfunding projects related to Role-playing Games:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?254357-General-Crowdfunding-Thread-Mark-I

Kylo Zen
2018-07-10, 11:35 AM
c-c-combo breaker

But seriously, folks! This won't make people take you seriously, and will just get you banned for spamming.

Oh please ban me.

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-07-10, 11:48 AM
tenth post!!!!

After going thru this I realized some mod would probably delete the post I wanted to make about helping a vet gamer just to be a **** or possibly troll the fundraiser so I decided not to post it here. What a waste of my time....

So, let me review:

You come to a forum not to participate in the discussions but to shill a kickstarter, proceed to insult both the mods for doing their jobs and everyone else for "not getting it", go on a spamming streak and after all that you think it's the mods that are the problem here?

Man, spinning tops are less self-centered than you are.

Grey Wolf

Khedrac
2018-07-10, 01:30 PM
Does this board lower people's I. Q.s somehow? I was trying to post a link to a charity drive to help a game writer who is down. So I get called a spammer?

Fine, you want 10 posts? OK!!!!

Just in case you do come back and read this...

First off, no one called you a spammer, the closest was one person saying that you looked "one step up from spam bots" and the key word there is "looked". Most of us instead offered advice obviously meant to be helpful - so you accuse the board of "lowering IQs" - a remark that looks aimed at all board users (so including those who tried to be helpful).

You then proceed to ignore the forum rules and the advice (which was to post in multiple threads) and then you don't even attempt to post the "link" you wanted to post once you believe you qualify.

Tell me, if someone in need came up to you, complained about not being able to find food while standing outside a shop with a sign saying "free food"; then on being told about the shop and where to queue for it complained that the idea of queuing was stupid, and insulted you - the person offering advice - would you give them any food regardless of their need?
It's a metaphor and probably pushing it a bit, but your attitude has pretty much killed any chance of any support you might get; however because the post was supposedly to help someone else they might have got support if you had bothered to actually ask.

2D8HP
2018-07-10, 02:27 PM
Oh please ban me.

http://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/405/992/e91.gif

Aaaaaand we're all done.

Xyril
2018-07-10, 04:11 PM
A very petty part of me wishes he posted the link to the Kickstarter, solely so that we could comment on it (is that possible) with a link back to this thread stating, "Before you take everything this project states on face value, this is an example of what its advocates consider acting in good faith."

Actually, forget what I just said. The initial impulse is certainly petty, but if this is how the guy conducts himself, and he's really a proxy/associate of the folks running the Kickstarter, then investors deserve to know what kind of treatment they should expect before they part with their hard earned cash.

Honest Tiefling
2018-07-10, 04:17 PM
Given that he's apparently made an account here solely to advertise a product (and his post history supports that), what he's doing is only a small step up from the spam bots (only real difference is that he's advertising a kickstarter rather than commercial product).

Pretty much. I don't know about others, but I really don't take much interest in projects, even free ones like webcomics, if the author hasn't been on the forums. I'll check out links by people with a post history, but c'mon. At least participate a bit.

If this guy is so wonderful and down on his luck that you think his project is worth our time, surely you can spend the time to contribute meaningfully to ten threads instead of posting ten times in a row here. Insulting forum-goers as a while and the mods isn't going to make us want to contribute to it, nor believe that the guy is genuinely down on his luck.

A very petty part of me wishes he posted the link to the Kickstarter, solely so that we could comment on it (is that possible) with a link back to this thread stating, "Before you take everything this project states on face value, this is an example of what its advocates consider acting in good faith."

Actually, forget what I just said. The initial impulse is certainly petty, but if this is how the guy conducts himself, and he's really a proxy/associate of the folks running the Kickstarter, then investors deserve to know what kind of treatment they should expect before they part with their hard earned cash.

I'd be interested in a link just so I know what NOT to donate to.