PDA

View Full Version : 3.5's Grim Psion. How is it?

SangoProduction
2018-07-10, 03:22 PM
http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/classes/prestige/psionic/grimpsion.shtml
Found this as i was looking for inspiration to play 3.5 again. Actually looks pretty cool. In 1 level, you become undead, and gain subsequent immunities. Also, unlike templates, it explicitly improves all future and past hit dice from classes and otherwise. (Template rules say a few affect class levels....but never actually specifies which ones do.)

But, strictly speaking, there are better ways to become undead with Necropolitan being so easy and inexpensive as to be cheesy.

So, I'm not asking if this is the best way to be undead, but rather, is the class worth losing 3 manifester levels (0 with Practiced Manifester, for the purpose of casting what you already know), with all the immunities and stat bumps and such?

Regardless, it's kinda cool, has interesting improvements at each level, and am probably going to play it, but I wanted to see what the rest of you guys think.

Zancloufer
2018-07-10, 03:37 PM
It's pretty much the Lich Template spread across 10 Prestige class levels. Also the pre-reques are fairly easy to get though you need to be at least level 7.

So I guess the question is: Does being a Psionic Lich sound appealing? Do you mind getting your powers MAJORLY delayed (really why was all the lost progression loaded in the first half and not spread out?)

Nifft
2018-07-10, 03:43 PM
Just so you know, that page shows a 3.0e PrC, which isn't compatible with 3.5e Psionics (unless you do an adaptation, which is totally possible).

Cues that it's 3.0e:
- Assumes that 0-level powers exist.
- Assumes that Psychmetabolism powers require a Con score and Psychokinetic powers "using Charisma" is sane.

It looks like the PrC claims to have been adapted already, but it's lying.

SangoProduction
2018-07-10, 04:41 PM
Just so you know, that page shows a 3.0e PrC, which isn't compatible with 3.5e Psionics (unless you do an adaptation, which is totally possible).

Cues that it's 3.0e:
- Assumes that 0-level powers exist.
- Assumes that Psychmetabolism powers require a Con score and Psychokinetic powers "using Charisma" is sane.

It looks like the PrC claims to have been adapted already, but it's lying.

Yeah. It seems to have quite a few mistakes. Which is odd.

ATHATH
2018-07-10, 06:17 PM
Actually, due to text trumping table(s), Grim Psion has a 10/10 manifesting progression (sort of like how Rainbow Servant actually has a 10/10 spellcasting progression).

The relevant text, for reference:

Powers Known: On gaining a level, a grim psion gains additional power points per day as though he had gained a level in whatever manifesting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, and so on). This essentially means that he adds the level of grim psion to the level of whatever psionic manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly.

DrMotives
2018-07-10, 06:50 PM
The 10/10 manifesting from reading the text is only present in this half-done 3.5 update. The original 3.0 class makes clear in the text that not all levels boost manifesting, the person who updated it changed that text. But, they kept the other parts the needed to be changed from 3.0 to 3.5. All in all, this is an example of badly done homebrew. Updating the class to 3.5 shouldn't be very difficult, yet it wasn't done properly here. I suggest going to the source and updating it yourself instead.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030628b

SangoProduction
2018-07-10, 08:48 PM
The 10/10 manifesting from reading the text is only present in this half-done 3.5 update. The original 3.0 class makes clear in the text that not all levels boost manifesting, the person who updated it changed that text. But, they kept the other parts the needed to be changed from 3.0 to 3.5. All in all, this is an example of badly done homebrew. Updating the class to 3.5 shouldn't be very difficult, yet it wasn't done properly here. I suggest going to the source and updating it yourself instead.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030628b

Ah thanks. Too bad too. The original sucks with 5 lost casting levels. Sigh. Oh well.