PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Firbolg healer for CoS

Harrysonford
2018-07-10, 04:49 PM
So I’m currently playing a firbolg light cleric in Curse of Strahd. I made this character in a rush and I’m looking to change him a little bit. My DM is ok with that as long as the primary characteristics are the same, so I’m staying as a firbolg healer.

I would appreciate help deciding between a few healer builds. I’ll lay out the things that I like and the things that I don’t about each build so it’s easier to see what kind of build I’m trying to make, or ways to counteract the things I don’t like, or any other advice that could be easier with that info.

1) Caster cleric
Pros:
At will radiant damage
Good for staying in the back and out of harm’s way
Good for RP
Cons:
Pretty straightforward play style, which could get boring in long battles

2) Melee Cleric
Pros:
Closer to the fight, which means I can use AoE effects more and I can heal the front line easier, which is usually who gets hurt the most anyways
Cons:
I could end up taking lots of damage, which would keep me from focusing on healing

3) Moon Druid
Pros:
Very versatile
Thematic
Main combat ability (wild shape) comes back on short rests
Cons:
No cleric or Paladin in the party (which I heard was important)
While in wild shape I can’t heal

4) Dream or shepherd Druid
Pros:
Versatile
They have more support abilities
Thematic
Cons:
No cleric or Paladin (which I heard was important)
I could be spread thin among which roles to fill in each battle

Please give me any input you have, thanks!

Biggstick
2018-07-15, 07:50 PM
A Cleric is one of the best classes to play in Curse of Strahd. A Light Cleric is one of the absolute best domain types to be playing in Curse of Strahd. Not only for the power of their mechanics, but for the potential RP available. Being a bastion of the light in a world so full of darkness is one of the richest RP experiences you'll ever have an opportunity to be a part of.

If you have to change from Light Cleric to ANYTHING, I'd go with a Life Cleric for CoS. Heavy armor is the biggest motivator here as to why you'd choose any other archetype. The same RP that you're putting forth with a Light Cleric though you can do with a Life Cleric.

Is there a reason you're wanting to swap the build? I'm still at a loss to see how you'd want to swap away from arguably one of the most fitting domain/class combinations for CoS.

prototype00
2018-07-15, 08:12 PM
The Moon Druid has some really good out-of-combat healing in the form of Goodberry. I would consider taking the one level of Life-Cleric to supercharge them, and then casting All unused Spellslors before you sleep as Great-Berries.

Then tank all day and do the same thing the next night (tanking is a form of healing!)

Legendairy
2018-07-15, 08:12 PM
A Cleric is one of the best classes to play in Curse of Strahd. A Light Cleric is one of the absolute best domain types to be playing in Curse of Strahd. Not only for the power of their mechanics, but for the potential RP available. Being a bastion of the light in a world so full of darkness is one of the richest RP experiences you'll ever have an opportunity to have.

If you have to change from Light Cleric to ANYTHING, I'd go with a Life Cleric for CoS. Heavy armor is the biggest motivator here as to why you'd choose any other archetype. The same RP that you're putting forth with a Light Cleric though you can do with a Life Cleric.

Is there a reason you're wanting to swap the build? I'm still at a loss to see how you'd want to swap away from arguably one of the most fitting domain/class combinations for CoS.

Yes, so much yes lol. Clerics aren’t as linear as they seem, being able to swap spells every day is nice. Also the altruistic power of the light wading into the field at nearly 8ft tall literally smashing through the darkness wearing full plate while Strahd sits on the ramparts and watches as you pull your gods divine essence into the mists and decimate his forces!

But yeah spirt guardians, spiritual weapon, melee attack buffs with divine damage to attacks....clerics can do a lot! Oh and when a buddy falls throw a bonus action healing word his way then turn and destroy the undead before you, cause you got work ta do!

jaappleton
2018-07-15, 09:40 PM
Ok. I fancy myself a bit of a Cleric aficionado. I think they’re the best designed class in 5E, and I absolutely love them.

For CoS, there’s one very unique thing that Light Clerics get that no other class gets anywhere near as soon.

And that is their Channel Divinity, Radiance of the Dawn. There’s one very specific word there that’s absolutely amazing for CoS.

It’s Sunlight. Yes, the radiant energy from their CD is Sunlight.

And you get it at lv2. Other Clerics get it with the Dawn spell at lv9,a 5th Level Spell in Xanathar’s Guide. And Wizards, Sorcs and Druids get Sunbeam at lv11, a 6th Level Spell.

Now, if you want to heal, should you stay a Light Cleric as opposed to, say, Life? Yes and no.

Light’s CD is basically an ally friendly AoE that’s the bane of the existence for many creatures in CoS. And it doesn’t expend a spell slot, can be used every short rest, and twice per short rest at lv6. This means you can bypass the limit of one spell per turn, so you can use it and, say, Healing Word in the same turn.

Life’s CD is healing. And that’s good, VERY few can heal like a Life Cleric. But dead (Well, pardon the pun, since it’s CoS) enemies don’t do damage. And Light can Blast the crap out of people.

EDIT: As a side note, you should VERY much want a Paladin in the party. Specifically Oath of Devotion for CoS. Why Devotion? It’s not exactly meta-gaming Knowledge to know that Vampires in almost any medium, whether D&D or film, have mind controlling effects. And Devotion Paladins, and allies in their Aura, are immune to Charms.