PDA

View Full Version : Just a thank you to Rich

Dunesen
2007-09-10, 11:13 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it is about OotS.

I've been reading OotS for a couple years, and while I enjoyed the fact that it is based on an ongoing story without a bunch of throwaway strips here and there, I always read it as it updated, and didn't think much of the ongoing plot. I just noticed when a story would end and they would move on to the next setting (bandits to dragon to Miko to hotel, for example).

Then in January I left for basic training, which took ten weeks of my life. When I finished that I moved on to advanced individual training, which brought with a bit more freedom. Among the freedom was being able to go online occassionally. When I caught up on OotS I found out Shojo was dead and Miko was no longer a paladin. Then I wasn't able to read for a while, and when I came back Roy was dead. So now I try not to miss big chucks of the action, afraid of what will have happened when I can catch up.

Anyway, the reason I'm writing this is just to thank Mr. Burlew. When I first arrived at AIT I was still feeling miserable, second-guessing my decision to enlist. Early on I ordered the three books available at the time (and Start of Darkness when it came out), and when they came I felt really happy, being able to read the strips straight through whenever I wanted now.

Being able to read the entire saga up to a point did increase my appreciation for how the plot has grown. I was greatly impressed by Start of Darkness and Redcloak's tale in particular. It actually helped move OotS to my favorite webcomic.

But the best part came when I started to get really depressed a couple months later. There wasn't a lot I could do to try to cheer myself up given the restrictions I faced, but having the books on hand was a help.

So I just wanted to thank the creator of this strip for creating something with far more thought put into it than a lot of the stuff out there. Something that provided a much needed escape at the right time.

:elan:

Too bad I won't be taking the books with me to Iraq in November, but I will have internet access then.

The Ninja
2007-09-10, 05:16 PM
I agree. I found out about OOTS from an unrelated site that refered to it as, and I quote: "The Best Comic Ever!" I decide to give it a try and was immediately drawn into the story and the characters. Now, it's my favorite thing on the web. So I too, would like to thank Rich for creating a wonderfully humorous comic, that still has a cohesive story line. (You wouldn't believe some of the randomness I've seen on the web. OOTS was a welcome break from that kind of pointless randomness and an introduction to, via Elan mostly, well done randomness. "Oh look, the salt and pepper shakers are fighting!"

Thanks Rich. Thanks for all the laughs up to now, and all the ones stored in the future.

Kenbert
2007-09-11, 11:05 PM
... Because every internet deserves a flash of genius every now and then.

Here's to the creator of the greatest webcomic I've ever seen. Thanks, Rich.

lin_fusan
2007-09-12, 03:56 PM
OotS is great fun. In all its iterations (Dragon mag, print, and webcomic).

I vote to make Rich Burlew a minor diety. God of 2-D.

Spiryt
2007-09-12, 04:03 PM
Just for this "minor" in your post, you will suffer.

Solo
2007-09-12, 04:04 PM
Burn the heretic!

Icewalker
2007-09-12, 09:25 PM
Agreed twofold. Best webcomic I know. Twice. That's how good it is.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-09-12, 09:52 PM
I put the quote in spoiler tags for space.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it is about OotS.

I've been reading OotS for a couple years, and while I enjoyed the fact that it is based on an ongoing story without a bunch of throwaway strips here and there, I always read it as it updated, and didn't think much of the ongoing plot. I just noticed when a story would end and they would move on to the next setting (bandits to dragon to Miko to hotel, for example).

Then in January I left for basic training, which took ten weeks of my life. When I finished that I moved on to advanced individual training, which brought with a bit more freedom. Among the freedom was being able to go online occassionally. When I caught up on OotS I found out Shojo was dead and Miko was no longer a paladin. Then I wasn't able to read for a while, and when I came back Roy was dead. So now I try not to miss big chucks of the action, afraid of what will have happened when I can catch up.

Anyway, the reason I'm writing this is just to thank Mr. Burlew. When I first arrived at AIT I was still feeling miserable, second-guessing my decision to enlist. Early on I ordered the three books available at the time (and Start of Darkness when it came out), and when they came I felt really happy, being able to read the strips straight through whenever I wanted now.

Being able to read the entire saga up to a point did increase my appreciation for how the plot has grown. I was greatly impressed by Start of Darkness and Redcloak's tale in particular. It actually helped move OotS to my favorite webcomic.

But the best part came when I started to get really depressed a couple months later. There wasn't a lot I could do to try to cheer myself up given the restrictions I faced, but having the books on hand was a help.

So I just wanted to thank the creator of this strip for creating something with far more thought put into it than a lot of the stuff out there. Something that provided a much needed escape at the right time.

:elan:

Too bad I won't be taking the books with me to Iraq in November, but I will have internet access then.

I agree. OOTS has got to be one of the best webcomics on the internet. Most strips I just read for a few months and they either end within a few months or I lose interest.

When I first started reading the strip around Christmastime of 2006, I just read it, thought it was amusing, and kept coming back. I just thought it was a cute strip.

Anyway, I got really interested in it during the current story arc. The plot is surprisingly good.

Only five more days until it comes back.
:smallsmile: