PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions About AL

ATHATH
2018-07-10, 09:11 PM
1. XGtE isn't on the list of allowed +1 sources in this document (https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/AL_PH_SKT.pdf). Is the document outdated, or is XGtE content not allowed in AL?
2. If I gain enough XP to level up to level 5 at the end of a session, can I rebuild my character and then level up to level 5? The rules on rebuilding in AL say that you can only rebuild "after any episode or adventure", while the rules about leveling up say that you can level up your character "after completing a long rest, or at the end of an episode or adventure". If the answer is "no", can I delay levelling up, rebuild my character, then level up after a long rest taken at the beginning of the next adventure? That would result in me being level 5 at the beginning of a tier 1 adventure, though... Maybe I could just use the "catching up" rules to level up from level 4 to level 5 instead.

Grear Bylls
2018-07-10, 09:15 PM
1. XGtE isn't on the list of allowed +1 sources in this document (https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/AL_PH_SKT.pdf). Is the document outdated, or is XGtE content not allowed in AL?
2. If I gain enough XP to level up to level 5 at the end of a session, can I rebuild my character and then level up to level 5? The rules on rebuilding in AL say that you can only rebuild "after any episode or adventure", while the rules about leveling up say that you can level up your character "after completing a long rest, or at the end of an episode or adventure". If the answer is "no", can I delay levelling up, rebuild my character, then level up after a long rest taken at the beginning of the next adventure? That would result in me being level 5 at the beginning of a tier 1 adventure, though... Maybe I could just use the "catching up" rules to level up from level 4 to level 5 instead.

Yes and yes. The latter has a statement that basically says you can rebuild until you start an adventure as a lvl 5 character

JackPhoenix
2018-07-10, 09:15 PM
For 1: yep, way outdated. This (https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/D%26D%205th%20Edition/Adventure%20League/S7%20-%20Tomb%20of%20Annihilation/ToA%20-%20Player%27s%20Guide%20v7.0.pdf) is the newest version.

Naanomi
2018-07-10, 09:54 PM
And even that list is outdated, since MToF is valid now as your +1

ATHATH
2018-07-10, 10:06 PM
Can you carry familiars from the Find Familiar spell, steeds from the (Greater) Find Steed spell, and/or zombies and skeletons from the Animate Dead spell with you between adventures? What about friends, henchmen, etc. acquired through other means?

mgshamster
2018-07-10, 10:14 PM
Can you carry familiars from the Find Familiar spell, steeds from the (Greater) Find Steed spell, and/or zombies and skeletons from the Animate Dead spell with you between adventures? What about friends, henchmen, etc. acquired through other means?

Usually, so long as it's signed off by your DM that it was acquired during game.

Certainly true for familiars, steeds, and animate dead. I'm less certain for henchman, but so long as both DMs approve it wouldn't be an issue.

Both DMs being the one who you just finished an adventure with (who signs off approval on your adventure tracking sheet) and the new DM who you're taking your character to for the next adventure. But be prepared for table variance, and if you don't like a DMs answer then you can always choose to play with a different PC.

(On that note, always have a back up PC)

ATHATH
2018-07-10, 10:23 PM
Can you choose a Curse of Strahd gothic trinket as your trinket instead of one from the PHB for an AL character?

mgshamster
2018-07-10, 10:26 PM
Can you choose a Curse of Strahd gothic trinket as your trinket instead of one from the PHB for an AL character?

Absolutely. Also, your choice of a background ignores the PHB+1 rule. You can pick a background from any book.

ATHATH
2018-07-11, 12:49 AM
How much refluffing is allowed? Like, can I say that my shield is some groves in my armor or fancy swordwork (or an enhancement to my sword?) if I still pay the gp price for the shield and need to "spend" a hand slot on it?

Do you have to use the default tenets for each paladin oath?

Naanomi
2018-07-11, 01:07 AM
How much refluffing is allowed? Like, can I say that my shield is some groves in my armor or fancy swordwork (or an enhancement to my sword?) if I still pay the gp price for the shield and need to "spend" a hand slot on it?

Varies a bit by GM, but if you are planning on playing at multiple tables, best to play close to things being as written. I doubt I would allow either of those refluffs at my AL table (both come with too much mechanical implications for my taste); but I let things like non-standard Warlock patrons fly without any protest

mgshamster
2018-07-11, 06:47 AM

I often allow refluffing, but I wouldn't call either of those refluffing.

The first allows you the benefit of the shield without having an actual shield in your hand. I can see it easily devovles into picking up a potion without a free hand or trying to use a versatile weapon for extra damage, even though you couldn't because of th shield.

The second is definitely not a refluff - stick with the tenants as written as those are actually a part of the character class.