PDA

View Full Version : Story Ideas for a "Godling" campaign

ArgonianGamer
2018-07-11, 12:26 AM
I'm GMing a new campaign with my friends. I'm using a pdf that, long story short, makes the players literally become gods with awesome powers by level 20. The powers start off simple and stuff. I was having a hard time thinking of story ideas, like how could they get these powers? What kind of story arc should I have? Please any ideas would be helpful thank you

JoeJ
2018-07-11, 12:36 AM
If the players are okay with having surprises in their characters' backstories, I'd have them all be children of one of the major campaign deities. The god in question also manipulated events behind the scenes so that they would find each other and become friends, and is now secretly testing them to see if they're worthy of full divinity. The divine powers they gain are actually powers they've had since birth, but didn't know how to access.

KOLE
2018-07-11, 12:36 AM
I’m currently in a Greek mythology inspired campaign where all the PCs were chosen by the Gods to restore faith in them to the city states by rooting out cults of False/“New” Gods, killing their leaders with extreme prejudice, and taking on monsters/titans ravaging the countryside. There’s also a lot of poltical intrigue as we’ve allied ourself with one of the city states that actively worships the “Old Gods” in an effort to help them crush another nation that’s worshipping a Snake/Medusa deity, but there’s a lot of double agents and assassins that we’re skating around. If any of that helps or inspires you, feel free to shoot me a PM for specifics.

ArgonianGamer
2018-07-11, 12:44 AM
If the players are okay with having surprises in their characters' backstories, I'd have them all be children of one of the major campaign deities. The god in question also manipulated events behind the scenes so that they would find each other and become friends, and is now secretly testing them to see if they're worthy of full divinity. The divine powers they gain are actually powers they've had since birth, but didn't know how to access.

I like that idea. So maybe the god of what they are the god of is their parent, and the god is preparing them to replace them. This preparation could be dangerous tests of skill and faith. All this would be secret until later in the campaign

ArgonianGamer
2018-07-11, 12:47 AM
I’m currently in a Greek mythology inspired campaign where all the PCs were chosen by the Gods to restore faith in them to the city states by rooting out cults of False/“New” Gods, killing their leaders with extreme prejudice, and taking on monsters/titans ravaging the countryside. There’s also a lot of poltical intrigue as we’ve allied ourself with one of the city states that actively worships the “Old Gods” in an effort to help them crush another nation that’s worshipping a Snake/Medusa deity, but there’s a lot of double agents and assassins that we’re skating around. If any of that helps or inspires you, feel free to shoot me a PM for specifics.

That sounds cool. I love Greek Mythology. But I think I'm gonna stick with a more Forgotten Realms style world, so the Greek stuff wouldn't really work

Mackatrin
2018-07-11, 01:01 AM
Firstly, I would decide how long you want the campaign to go for. Out of 15 years of DMing, I've had 1 character become a god, amongst 40 people I've DM'd for over the years. The character who did, it took him 2 years of 8 hour sessions once a week to do it using 2nd edition rules. Firstly, figure out what module are you using and then after finding that out, find out what the rules are. In Forgotten Realms, the gods each have portfolios and no two gods can have the same one. Also when someone becomes a god, they have to undergo the trials of the god or something like that.

I would recommend if you want to simplify things, to start the characters off in a temple or some kind of organization or religion that believes that they can find the secret to godhood. Have each character choose a portfolio (characteristic of some sort) and then give them an intelligent artifact that can communicate with them on what they need to do. However the catch is, each time they use the artifacts power, it draws attention to them from the god they are trying to replace.

Understand, most campaigns do not go past level 10-12, because the characters are just to powerful at that point and the RP wise, its hard to find enemies that they can't just one shot, outside of Cathulu tearing open a portal and invading the world. Thats why volo's guide to monsters is amazing and I highly recommend it.

The campaign I had, was my 3 PCs started out each had their own goal, I used forgotten realms and just had it as a blank canvas. From there, I always make my PCs give me their backstories and goals before a campaign starts. One of them had a fear of death and his goal was to become a lich, so he could live forever. So from there, the campaign started and he eventually met Elmenster. He then stole the book of vile darkness (rolled 3 nat 20s to survive) he got all the benefits from reading the book, used it very rarely since it would draw unwanted attention, minus dark speech, he used that non stop. Since it would drive people insane, who hear it. He used it to work his way to becoming a lord of a city (Which I made him draw out the city, have the RP stuff and all the downtime stuff of taxes, guards, etc), he was drafted into a war as an Officer and worked in Logistics. Spent many years serving in the King's Army, till he was injured and was forced to retire, apon almost dying it increased his efforts to become a lich (since he used his position and power to gain further knowledge) Eventually met a necromancer, who had the Libras Mortis (Book of the Dead), they plotted on how to kill a god so they could become gods. He was eventually betrayed by the Necromancer, they both died, fought in Kelemvor's realm, eventually the necro was frozen as a statue there and his character disappeared. 30 years later in game, he switched to his son, Bhaal attacked with all the cults forming to support him. The son and the 2 other PCs fought against Bhaal's Army and such, eventually going on a quest to craft a god killing sword with 1 use, which required un-stoning the necro and getting him to help them, which he did, just to betray them and eventually be frozen in stone again. During the final confrontation that took 3 sessions, the fighter got the sword and used it and failed, at which point the original PC's character came out and killed Bhaal. He then became known as Aidan Draconus The Guide of Lost Souls. He spent 30 years in Kelemvor's realm, studying the wall of the forsaken at which point, he eventually figured out how to break it down. So now, when a faithless dies, instead of being added to the wall, Aidan will now guide them to a realm that is most suited to them. Anytime a major battle is about to take place, his avatar appears as an omen of the death that will happen.

The reason I typed this story, was hopefully to give you some ideas. Again, my campaign didn't start out as a god campaign, it just gradually went to it. But notice, that my PC never got to play as a god. Because realistically, its impossible to happen, depending on the universe you use. In FR, gods regen like 500 HP a round or some absurd number like that. They also know everything that is going to happen, before it happens. The rule I was taught when I started as a DM, by the DM that was teaching me, is once a player becomes a god, they become a PC. Because its impossible to balance the game around god like powers, unless you want to take away the feats of being a god.

Hope this helps!

ArgonianGamer
2018-07-11, 01:10 AM
Firstly, I would decide how long you want the campaign to go for. Out of 15 years of DMing, I've had 1 character become a god, amongst 40 people I've DM'd for over the years. The character who did, it took him 2 years of 8 hour sessions once a week to do it using 2nd edition rules. Firstly, figure out what module are you using and then after finding that out, find out what the rules are. In Forgotten Realms, the gods each have portfolios and no two gods can have the same one. Also when someone becomes a god, they have to undergo the trials of the god or something like that.

I would recommend if you want to simplify things, to start the characters off in a temple or some kind of organization or religion that believes that they can find the secret to godhood. Have each character choose a portfolio (characteristic of some sort) and then give them an intelligent artifact that can communicate with them on what they need to do. However the catch is, each time they use the artifacts power, it draws attention to them from the god they are trying to replace.

Understand, most campaigns do not go past level 10-12, because the characters are just to powerful at that point and the RP wise, its hard to find enemies that they can't just one shot, outside of Cathulu tearing open a portal and invading the world. Thats why volo's guide to monsters is amazing and I highly recommend it.

The campaign I had, was my 3 PCs started out each had their own goal, I used forgotten realms and just had it as a blank canvas. From there, I always make my PCs give me their backstories and goals before a campaign starts. One of them had a fear of death and his goal was to become a lich, so he could live forever. So from there, the campaign started and he eventually met Elmenster. He then stole the book of vile darkness (rolled 3 nat 20s to survive) he got all the benefits from reading the book, used it very rarely since it would draw unwanted attention, minus dark speech, he used that non stop. Since it would drive people insane, who hear it. He used it to work his way to becoming a lord of a city (Which I made him draw out the city, have the RP stuff and all the downtime stuff of taxes, guards, etc), he was drafted into a war as an Officer and worked in Logistics. Spent many years serving in the King's Army, till he was injured and was forced to retire, apon almost dying it increased his efforts to become a lich (since he used his position and power to gain further knowledge) Eventually met a necromancer, who had the Libras Mortis (Book of the Dead), they plotted on how to kill a god so they could become gods. He was eventually betrayed by the Necromancer, they both died, fought in Kelemvor's realm, eventually the necro was frozen as a statue there and his character disappeared. 30 years later in game, he switched to his son, Bhaal attacked with all the cults forming to support him. The son and the 2 other PCs fought against Bhaal's Army and such, eventually going on a quest to craft a god killing sword with 1 use, which required un-stoning the necro and getting him to help them, which he did, just to betray them and eventually be frozen in stone again. During the final confrontation that took 3 sessions, the fighter got the sword and used it and failed, at which point the original PC's character came out and killed Bhaal. He then became known as Aidan Draconus The Guide of Lost Souls. He spent 30 years in Kelemvor's realm, studying the wall of the forsaken at which point, he eventually figured out how to break it down. So now, when a faithless dies, instead of being added to the wall, Aidan will now guide them to a realm that is most suited to them. Anytime a major battle is about to take place, his avatar appears as an omen of the death that will happen.

The reason I typed this story, was hopefully to give you some ideas. Again, my campaign didn't start out as a god campaign, it just gradually went to it. But notice, that my PC never got to play as a god. Because realistically, its impossible to happen, depending on the universe you use. In FR, gods regen like 500 HP a round or some absurd number like that. They also know everything that is going to happen, before it happens. The rule I was taught when I started as a DM, by the DM that was teaching me, is once a player becomes a god, they become a PC. Because its impossible to balance the game around god like powers, unless you want to take away the feats of being a god.

Hope this helps!

Thank you that gave me a lot to work with. I had a pdf that I was going to use that gave them new powers and stuff. But I now feel like that will make them too powerful too quickly. I am completely rethinking the way I'm doing it. Thank you. I'm probably gonna give them items/equipment instead of straight powers

Mackatrin
2018-07-11, 01:21 AM
Thank you that gave me a lot to work with. I had a pdf that I was going to use that gave them new powers and stuff. But I now feel like that will make them too powerful too quickly. I am completely rethinking the way I'm doing it. Thank you. I'm probably gonna give them items/equipment instead of straight powers

Anytime man, thats why I wanted to post my experience with having a god. Again, its fun, but you have to look at the balancing factor. Thats fine giving them power, but if you are, give them a MASSIVE repercussion to using it, like their bodies can't handle it and they have to make a fort check or die permanently.

Giving people straight raw power, makes a game very unfun, because unless you are experienced at making custom enemies or increasing CR levels and you know what type of enemies you can throw at your party, its very difficult to balance the game, eventually leading to 1 player being OP, while the rest are balanced or you have it to where everyone is OP and your not having fun, because they are just blowing through your campaign.

Again, main things I can't stress enough. If this is a god campaign, plan out your major plot points. Plan out your major items, major everything and have them always on a note pad that you can read them on for quick reference when you are designing an encounter.

Or another thing you can do, is set your campaign in FR where all the gods became mortal again. All these players were once former gods but have lost their memory, figure out who they want to be and have them have to find their sources of power (like a favored weapon or relic something related to their godhood status) and have to put them all back together.

God campaigns are fun as ****, but you need to make sure you balance it for yourself and your players or else no one is going to have fun. Any questions hit me up.

Vogie
2018-07-11, 12:26 PM
You can look up the Godsfall podcast and accompanying worldbook - the entire conceit is that most of the PCs are godlings that grow in their powers as they level in their classes as well.

Clodix367
2018-07-12, 02:01 PM
For any characters that would prefer not to be godlings, I'd rope them in by making them a champion of some element with an elemental weapon that increases in damage.

This creates some interesting opportunities in character development without strictly sticking to the demigod template for pcs