PDA

View Full Version : What pact boon is best for a Celestial Warlock?

Aleister VII
2018-07-11, 06:49 AM
As the title says... Blade is good on a hexblade or fiend but I don't think it has too much uses for a celestial warlock unless I wanna to go melee and even so that's too MAD.

Tome is always good and has Ritual casting, it can open a lot of options in sheer versatility I think...

And lastly there's chain, I really like the upgraded familiars, the fact that they can attack isn't a big deal but their invisibility (of most of them) and all of their extra stuffs are nice, also gift of the ever living ones maximizes my healing IIRC, does that works with the celestial healing light?

Vogie
2018-07-11, 08:44 AM
You get Cha to fire damage starting at 6, so Tome is good to get the Fire Bolt Cantrip, so it'll keep up with EB in damage from 6 onwords.

Yes, Gift of the Ever-Living Ones should effect Healing Light uses on yourself. If you want to do a little Rogue dip, you could be a Shortbow-using Chain Lock.

Submortimer
2018-07-11, 08:49 AM
You get Cha to fire damage starting at 6, so Tome is good to get the Fire Bolt Cantrip, so it'll keep up with EB in damage from 6 onwords.

Yes, Gift of the Ever-Living Ones should effect Healing Light uses on yourself. If you want to do a little Rogue dip, you could be a Shortbow-using Chain Lock.

Cha to firebolt cannot ever keep up with EB + AB, but it's not terrible.

I'm always a particular fan of tome. I used to be a blade-lock or bust kinda guy, but having ALL of the rituals is just so GOOD.

Give of the Ever-living one would be nice, and I would want it (and pact of the chain) more, if WOTC WOULD EVER RELEASE A DAMN LANTERN ARCHON I CAN USE AS A FAMILIAR.

rbstr
2018-07-11, 09:09 AM
Any of the three work well enough - they really aren't as huge of a decision as people make them out to be sometimes. Though they can let you change things up a lot, a regular casty warlock is really not all that radically changed.

If you go with Tome, take mostly utility cantrips. Firebolt won't ever be better than EB, I don't think I'd bother with it. The ritual invocation lets you pretend to be a wizard a bit more. It can be really great - if you can find rituals to copy.
Chain can give you the ability to heal yourself like crazy, which is fun. Plus other familiar things. And a really good high-level invocation.
Blade is the more transformative Boon. You'll need to have decent dex, at least, but you're a light armor class, I feel like this MADness is not that difficult to handle.

Melee celestial actually works pretty well with green-flame blade with the +cha to fire damage. Even if you take Pact of the Chain or Tome. Sure you're swinging a dagger probably, but the weapon die isn't that important. Really tanky with Ever-Living Ones.

Naanomi
2018-07-11, 09:19 AM
Tome rituals offer a lot of utility to a character already dripping in utility. All rituals + bonus action healing + party temp HP + still decent combat options... hard to beat in supporting the party

That being said, a sprite refluffed to be a ‘shoulder angel’/coure Eladrin (who can detect alignments and everything) is very fitting... or not refluffed at all if your patron is a Unicorn and you are a magical Disney sparkle princess

Melee celestial actually works pretty well with green-flame blade with the +cha to fire damage. Even if you take Pact of the Chain or Tome. Sure you're swinging a dagger probably, but the weapon die isn't that important. Really tanky with Ever-Living Ones.
Or a tome-granted Shillelegh (club of st Cuthbert?)

Aleister VII
2018-07-11, 10:44 AM
This looks good, here are my thoughts:

I haven't considered the CHA to fire damage but even with that agonizing blast still beat fire bolt most of times except when the enemy is weak to fire HOWEVER a boosted GFB sounds appealing to me but the lack of martial weapons really hurts yet I guess that I can fix that casting shadow blade if I decide to go down that road, I just hope to get a lot of short rests x.x

Getting all the rituals is nothing to sneeze at, it almost makes me the ultimate support/utility PC and I can still just use good ol' agonizing blast to keep my damage output competitive, however I don't actually get all the rituals but the possibility of getting them all if I find them... but even so there're a some useless rituals like speak with animals and I can focus on the useful ones, I also can get a normal familiar with tome.

And seeing that gift of the living ones works with healing light makes pact of the chain awesome! Sure I won't get as much versatility as with Tome's rituals but maximizing healing and an improved familiar isn't a bad deal, the pixie is by the way my favorite one as it isn't a fiend or a demon and still gets invisibility plus read alignment, intentions, moods... it plainly reads minds! It also can put some enemies to sleep or something IIRC.

As for MC rouge could be good if I have an auto-sneak attack button... I mean familiar (tome) or even better an improved invisible familiar (chain).

So...

The GFB idea really appeals to me, I may just make a celestial Chainlock that goes into melee with shadow blade and GFB, the only problem is that it won't be online until level 5-6, I guess it would be good if I start a campaign at a high enough level xD

Blacky the Blackball
2018-07-12, 04:00 AM
The celestial warlock in my game is Chain Pact and has a "cherub" (using the same stats as a sprite) as a familiar.

Biggstick
2018-07-15, 07:54 PM
While it might not be the best Pact to go with, Pact of the Blade and Sharpshooter works just as well on a Celestial Warlock. Keep your Charisma at 14-16, and focus on Dexterity over Charisma. Use your Warlock spells for things like Lesser Restoration, Revivify, Greater Restoration, etc etc (things that don't care about your Charisma mod). You'll be able to contribute a decent amount of damage, and still be an incredible support for your party.

jaappleton
2018-07-15, 09:30 PM
Mechanically? Chain if you pair it with Gift of the Ever Living Ones.

For fun? I love a Celestial Bladelock with Eldritch Smite as a short rest style paladin variant.

I played a VHuman one (Moderately Armored for the Feat), and role played it AS a Paladin. I don’t have to roll Deception if *I* think it’s true XD

Arcangel4774
2018-07-16, 01:02 PM
Remember that you can use familiars to deliver touch spells which adds another benefit to pact of chains.

SuperiorRocket
2018-07-16, 04:18 PM
In one of my game, I'm playing a fighter 1(con save, all armors)/celestial warlock 8, and it's crazy strong at dealing melee damage. I'm playing a tiefling, so I could take the flame of pythegos feats, which allows me to reroll 1s on fire spell.

I took pact of the time to get shillelagh, and I'm planning to take polearm master to get an extra attack after green flame blading fools into oblivion. With improved tome, I still get a familiar by ritual casting which is pretty cool.

Pact of the tome also allows me to have 9 cantrips, which is really fun.

Biggstick
2018-07-16, 04:29 PM
In one of my game, I'm playing a fighter 1(con save, all armors)/celestial warlock 8, and it's crazy strong at dealing melee damage. I'm playing a tiefling, so I could take the flame of pythegos feats, which allows me to reroll 1s on fire spell.

I took pact of the time to get shillelagh, and I'm planning to take polearm master to get an extra attack after green flame blading fools into oblivion. With improved tome, I still get a familiar by ritual casting which is pretty cool.

Pact of the tome also allows me to have 9 cantrips, which is really fun.

The Bonus Action attack from Polearm Master isn't granted if you make the Cast a Spell Action that using Greenflame Blade is. You have to actually take the Attack Action to qualify for the Bonus Action attack.

MeeposFire
2018-07-16, 06:44 PM
Honestly I would not bother with firebolt. Eldritch blast is superior and gives you an attack roll option and sacred flame does enough damage that it is fine as a save based radiant option. The difference in damage between firebolt and sacred flame is just not worth using a cantrip. If you want to pick up an attack with a new cantrip take booming blade to give yourself a melee option but personally I would rather take some utility cantrips myself.

Pex
2018-07-16, 07:17 PM

But why go with Fire Bolt when you have Eldritch Blast? Unless you absolutely need the invocation for something other than Agonizing Blast, it's almost an invocation tax. True not every warlock has to use Agonizing Blast, but I'm hard-pressed to see why one wouldn't. Not having the other Eldritch Blast invocations is fine. Warlocks can do many things specializing in Eldritch Blast is only one of them, but just for basic attack damage Agonizing Eldritch Blast is too good to pass up. Even a Bladelock can use it. There are times he will want a range attack.

Your point is a good one, but the effect is obsolete at level 2 before it exists.

Vogie
2018-07-16, 09:55 PM
But why go with Fire Bolt when you have Eldritch Blast?

So many potential reasons

You don't want to
You enjoy having 1 more interesting invocation
Your character concept involves all things fire, and it's more powerful than produce flame
Your character concept required Magic Initiate:Wizard anyway
Because if you are already a Celestial Tome Lock, you can get a similar effect for free at 6
You want to watch the world burn
Triggering Minmaxers on forums brings you great joy
All of the above