PDA

View Full Version : Non-Caster Entry Arcane Duelist

cartejos
2018-07-11, 09:34 AM
What feats allow you to gain actual casting, not spell-like abilities, that could qualify you for Arcane Duelist?
The entry requirement is "Able to cast 1st level spells"

A combination of Magical Training to Precocious Apprentice misses it by a slim margin.
Magical training giving you a caster level (Minimum 1st) and some cantrips.
Precocious Apprentice, which requires the caster level, gives you a second level spell.

One option could be to just use the Dragonspawn template to grab efffective Sorcerer 1 casting, and just buy off the LA

I feel like I'm missing some easy feat to get 1st level casting

Darrin
2018-07-11, 10:18 AM
Magical Training + Heighten Spell + Earth Sense + Earth Spell

Magical Training + Heighten Spell + Versatile Spellcaster

Magical Training + Versatile Spellcaster + {Various} Bloodline (Dragon Compendium)

Magical Training + {Any Metamagic} + Sanctum Spell

Magical Training + Snowcasting + handful of snow/ice

Magical Training + Illumian race + Improved Sigil (Krau)

There may be a few others, but that should cover the most common methods.

cartejos
2018-07-11, 10:45 AM
Magical Training + Heighten Spell + Earth Sense + Earth Spell

Magical Training + Heighten Spell + Versatile Spellcaster

Magical Training + Versatile Spellcaster + {Various} Bloodline (Dragon Compendium)

Magical Training + {Any Metamagic} + Sanctum Spell

Magical Training + Snowcasting + handful of snow/ice

Magical Training + Illumian race + Improved Sigil (Krau)

I like the Versatile Spellcaster entries a lot

The only issue is I'm not sure if the first one works. I believe you need at least 2 different levels of spell slots for it to work, as the wording of heighten spell says that it needs to occupy a higher level slot, and Earth Spell doesn't seem to count. Putting it another way to more make sense to myself: You can heighten a 0th-level spell to a 1st-level slot and Earth Spell makes it a 2nd-level spell, but you cannot heighten a 0-level spell into a 0-level slot, as it already fits there.

RaiKirah
2018-07-11, 10:45 AM
Darrin covered what I suspect you're actually looking for, but if you want a different way to technically not take a casting class you can look at:

Three levels of Dragon Devotee (RoD) gives you a first level of Sorcerer casting (totally weird, never have figured out a good use for it). Entry requirements are Knowledge Arcana 1, BAB 5, language Draconic.

Darrin
2018-07-11, 11:09 AM
The only issue is I'm not sure if the first one works. I believe you need at least 2 different levels of spell slots for it to work, as the wording of heighten spell says that it needs to occupy a higher level slot, and Earth Spell doesn't seem to count.

You are correct. I hadn't read Earth Spell in a while, I just knew it was one of those "raise the spell level" effects. You'd need a 1st level spell slot to heighten a 0th-level, and you don't have one with those feats.

Some people add Eschew Materials to Snowcasting for "free handfuls of snow", as snow/ice is generally considered under the 1 GP limit, but some DMs consider such ruleswankery to be unsavory.

Is dipping a level of Sorcerer or Duskblade not an option?

Three levels of Dragon Devotee (RoD) gives you a first level of Sorcerer casting (totally weird, never have figured out a good use for it). Entry requirements are Knowledge Arcana 1, BAB 5, language Draconic.

Best use for it is in a Swift Hunter build, as Dragon Devotee 4/Unseen Seer 4 progresses skirmish damage twice as fast (+4d6) as 8 levels of Scout or Ranger (+2d6).

RaiKirah
2018-07-11, 11:11 AM
Best use for it is in a Swift Hunter build, as Dragon Devotee 4/Unseen Seer 4 progresses skirmish damage twice as fast (+4d6) as 8 levels of Scout or Ranger (+2d6).

Huh, I like that! Thanks :)

thorr-kan
2018-07-11, 11:14 AM
Magical Training + Precocious Apprentice + Practiced Spell Caster + Extra Spell Slot (1st).

Darrin
2018-07-11, 11:28 AM
Magical Training + Precocious Apprentice + Practiced Spell Caster + Extra Spell Slot (1st).

That gets you a 1st-level spell slot, but you still don't know any 1st-level spells to put in there. You'd probably have to add one of the Bloodline feats from Dragon Compendium.

ShurikVch
2018-07-11, 12:55 PM
Just pay for arcane version of Imbue with Spell Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbueWithSpellAbility.htm).

ManicOppressive
2018-07-11, 12:57 PM
Just a side-note, I want to give a big shout-out to Wizards for learning absolutely nothing from the Arcane Archer and making a gish PrC with half BAB and no casting.

Troacctid
2018-07-11, 01:55 PM
Just a side-note, I want to give a big shout-out to Wizards for learning absolutely nothing from the Arcane Archer and making a gish PrC with half BAB and no casting.
Arcane Duelist predates the 3.5 DMG, so really you could say they learned nothing from Arcane Duelist when they made Arcane Archer.

thorr-kan
2018-07-11, 03:02 PM
That gets you a 1st-level spell slot, but you still don't know any 1st-level spells to put in there. You'd probably have to add one of the Bloodline feats from Dragon Compendium.
Then you choose Extra Spell.

liquidformat
2018-07-11, 04:33 PM
Then you choose Extra Spell.

I would rather take a class level than waste 5 feats to simulate a first level caster; heck I would rather take a class level than taking three feats to simulate a first level caster. Remember you already need dodge and mobility.

As far as I can tell going in with straight Hexblade is the best choice, or maybe pulling some shenanigans with Sword of Arcane Order paladin?

Thurbane
2018-07-11, 05:54 PM
As far as I can tell going in with straight Hexblade is the best choice, or maybe pulling some shenanigans with Sword of Arcane Order paladin?

This is a build idea I came up with a while back, using Hexblade: [3.5] Arcane Duelist Build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22249270&postcount=1)

liquidformat
2018-07-11, 09:55 PM
This is a build idea I came up with a while back, using Hexblade: [3.5] Arcane Duelist Build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22249270&postcount=1)

I keep forgetting that hexblade bonus feat kind of sucks. I also like the Blade Dancer PRC though it doesn't have as good class features as Arcane Duelist...

Kelb_Panthera
2018-07-11, 10:03 PM
CAr gives the reasoning behind various magical requirements for feats and PrCs. In the case of X level spells, it's a measure of the complexity of magic your mind can deal with. Given that 2nd level spells are more complex than 1st, precocious apprentice fulfills the 1st level spell requirement as much as it does a 2nd level spell requirement.

Troacctid
2018-07-11, 10:04 PM
Which is to say not at all, of course, since you lose the 2nd level spell that Precocious Apprentice grants you as soon as you become able to cast 2nd level spells.

Eldariel
2018-07-12, 02:47 AM
Arcane Duelist predates the 3.5 DMG, so really you could say they learned nothing from Arcane Duelist when they made Arcane Archer.

Arcane Archer was already in the 3.0 DMG. It just stacked the arrow enhancement with the weapon base enhancement making it...not useful but at least do something.