PDA

View Full Version : FR Deity with Travel & Magic Domain?

KoDT69
2007-09-10, 12:41 PM
Does one of these exist? The campaign's Dm has the FR campaign book and I don't at the moment, so it's kinda hard to check. I'm hoping there is one with a good alignment out there. My cleric will also be 6th level, so any feat suggestions? I got 4 to work with because he'll be human. Thanks playgrounders! :smallwink:

Renx
2007-09-10, 01:04 PM
Istishia, the Water Lord. I think any neutral will do (or might be any), so if you're good with a GN cleric. /* Edit1: (wikipedia) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istishia), CN, N, NE, NG, LN so 'any neutral. */

Feats? If you're going to go for Persistence, Extend-Persistence-Divine Metamagic:Persistence. For 6 turn attempts you can make a spell last for 24h. That is, if your DM allows complete divine. I have a cleric of Istishtia build lying around the forums somewhere in a "fix me" status, I can look it up if ya want.

KoDT69
2007-09-10, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the quick reply dude. The Dm is not allowing the Complete series. It's just Core plus the Forgotten Realms campaign setting (which I'm sure has some new regional feats and spells). He may be persuaded though if I go grab a copy he can look at! :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Oh man, that one does not have the Magic Domain :smallfrown:

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-10, 05:34 PM
Then you want Spellfire Wielder from Magic of Faerun.

GimliFett
2007-09-10, 05:53 PM
Then you want Spellfire Wielder from Magic of Faerun.

Spellfire Wielder is NOT the answer to every question from FR. :smallsmile:

Your best bet would be to try to convince the DM to allow you to be a cleric of Mystra interested in exploration or some such, maybe exploring the lost ruins of the great magical societies, or a Cleric of Shaundakul interested in magic.

Sorry, but there's no FR deity with both, of which I am aware.

tainsouvra
2007-09-10, 06:07 PM
Silly question...why do you need to have a deity with those domains in the first place? It is perfectly acceptable, unless FR or the DM has added a rule against it, to have a cleric that does not draw his power from a specific deity.

Driderman
2007-09-10, 06:11 PM
Silly question...why do you need to have a deity with those domains in the first place? It is perfectly acceptable, unless FR or the DM has added a rule against it, to have a cleric that does not draw his power from a specific deity.

Actually, I think maybe the Forgotten Realms has that exact rule... But I may be mistaken

Logic
2007-09-10, 06:12 PM

The forgotten Realms specifically forbids it. No class can gain divine power without a deity, including the Ur-Priest, which requires you to not have a deity.

The explanation for that is the Ur-priest thinks he is siphoning divine power, but the gods know better, and still give him spells anyway.

It's a stupid rule that I ignore in the case of Ur-priests personally.

MandibleBones
2007-09-10, 06:12 PM

True, but in FR, if you don't believe in something, you don't really get to go anywhere after you die - and you're totally the odd one out as far as that goes.

But seriously, there's a god for every occasion. Let me check my notes.

EDIT: Io (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Io_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29), the god of all dragons, has both Magic and Travel as domains.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-10, 06:28 PM
IO should work Hlal, Null and Task all worshipped by Dragons made the Monster Diety cut in Faiths and Pantheons while Bahamut the Platinum Dragon didn't.

Your PC could be a Faerun Pantheon cleric with those domains (Magic and Travel) who worships the Pantheon as a whole and you could take Shaundakul as a Primary patron.

He was pretty lax regarding followers and more than happy to take worshippers as a secondary patron in his description from the Ruins of Myth Drannor. So he would be a good choice for a PC's primary God as a Pantheon cleric.

Another option is to use a basically unknown Demi-Power or Dead Power with those domains something you can work out with your DM.

Gods of Magic like Annam, Emmantiensien, Isis, Laduguer, Math Mathonwy, Nuitari, O-Kuni-Nushi, Thoth or Titania

Maybe Aoskar the deceased God of Portals.

GimliFett
2007-09-10, 06:33 PM
I don't think Io is in the Faerunian pantheon, though I don't know much about dragons of FR and their deities, anyway.

I suggested Shaundakul (he's my second favorite FR deity behind Hoar/Assuran) previously, and I could very easily see him as granting Magic, given the right background.

Also, I could see Mystra granting Travel to certain clerics, given the proper background.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-09-10, 06:44 PM
It is Ao in FR, oh and just a suggestion, go for the spell domain instead of magic, you get the spell anyspell, which woops on other things. Lets you cast any second lvl or lower wizard spell, you just need a scroll or a wizard book to read from.

Logic
2007-09-10, 06:55 PM
It is Ao in FR, oh and just a suggestion, go for the spell domain instead of magic, you get the spell anyspell, which woops on other things. Lets you cast any second lvl or lower wizard spell, you just need a scroll or a wizard book to read from.

Ao is the overgod, uberdiety or whatever you choose to call him.

Io is the god of Dragons. Two distinct dieties for different purposes.

Beleriphon
2007-09-10, 07:52 PM
Ao is the overgod, uberdiety or whatever you choose to call him.

Ao also doesn't grant spells, listen to prayers or generally bother with anything mortals care to ask him.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-10, 08:00 PM
Io is known as Asgorath in FR.

RTGoodman
2007-09-11, 12:01 AM
I searched around on this site (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/dieties/index.shtml), and the only FR deity I could find with the Travel and Magic/Spell domains is Io (as has already been mentioned). But, you can search around and maybe find another.