PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Bard, Rogue, or Warlock? Faction Agent to run spy network

KorvinStarmast
2018-07-11, 04:09 PM
Greetings playgrounders. I ask for your suggestions. in choosing a class for a PC (currently an NPC) who runs an intelligence network. Build need to go through level 8. Here are the known facts about this character:

From a Patriar family in Baldur's Gate
Background is Faction Agent: skills chosen from that are Insight and Investigation for reasons of story and role play.
Faction: Lord's Alliance
Race: human or v Human
Class: uh, that's what I am stuck on.
Two critical skills for this character: Insight and Deception

Stealth, would be handy since he did for a few years as a younger man embark on some adventures, and his MO/personality is to do things quietly, not overtly. Classes that I am pondering:

Rogue/Mastermind: added languages look handy, and the extra four skills at start up look sweet
Bard: College of Whispers (Instrument mostly voice and poetry, though an instrument would be OK). This is where his intrigues and ability to work in the background might be better used.
Bard: Lore. The added skills, the added spells, the early magical secrets. Very tempting. Lore Bard can do some skill monkey, and can get thieves tools (which a spy or spy master needs now and again) The appeal for this class is the ability to use traveling and music as a cover for doing the back room and shadowy business of spying. Hiding in plain sight, more or less.
Warlock: Pact of tome or blade. He entire schtick is deception and misdierecition, so I don't want to sell this one short. This choice is the odd one based on for a few years he does the adventuring, and then with the pact chosen he turns his time and talents towards secrets, intrigue, spy networks, and some blackmail/bribing as the situation warrants. Inter mercantile competition and political competition are the areas he deals in.
Bard: College of Swords: hmm, good for the early adventuring career, but not as strong as other bards I am thinking for the remaining career.

Stats: general idea is that Cha = Dex >con>int>wis>str If you have a better idea, that's fine too.
Situation:
He has agents up and down the coast, from Calimshan to Luskan, and a variety of agents inland as well. Wherever trade goes, so flows information. He's either planned, or executed, some wet work/quiet knife work in pursuit of the Faction's objectives and his own family's interests. He usually, at this point in time, has other people do that but he had to get his hands dirty on the way up.
My initial idea for regular human was: S 10 D 16 C 14 I 11 W 10 Cha 16 (After all plus 1)
My initial idea for vHuman: S 10 D 16 C 12 (due +1 Resilient Feat) I 10 W 10 Cha 16
Feat: Resilient Con. Skill: Stealth.

If I Warlock there is an invocation that gives me Deception and Persuasion proficiency, which opens up some other skill options.
So, Playgrounders, how should I build this guy, and which class?
A Lord's Alliance Faction agent, he's well connected, he is reasonably intelligent so no dumping Int to 8. Normal routine is being persuasive and deceptive, and picking up on what's being hidden via investigation and insight. Keeps his network of spies/informants operating efficiently for his faction. I can't dump Str to 8 since when play begins, encumbrance will matter.

BreaktheStatue
2018-07-12, 05:35 AM
I'd say either Mastermind Rogue or Whispers Bard, simply because this is probably the best excuse you'll have to make one. Flavor-wise, they're tailor-made for this sort of thing.

Mechanically, Lore Bard is probably the "best" - it's one of the most versatile sub-classes and support casters in the game. And could you create a plausible reason for one to run an intelligence network? Absolutely. But I think it'd probably be a lot easier to find a niche for a Lore or Swords Bard, or warlock - elsewhere.

KorvinStarmast
2018-07-12, 08:12 AM
I'd say either Mastermind Rogue or Whispers Bard, simply because this is probably the best excuse you'll have to make one. Flavor-wise, they're tailor-made for this sort of thing.

Mechanically, Lore Bard is probably the "best" - it's one of the most versatile sub-classes and support casters in the game. Lore Bards added skill proficiencies allow Stealth and Acrobatics at third level, and another tool (Forgery?) I need the spell casting for Sending as a spell to communicate with agents all over the world. (For example, the contacts we have in Kara Tur; one of the languages taken was Shou.) I'll try out the a Lore Bard build later, but taking your advice on the Whispers Bard ... we have

Bard (College of Whispers) vHuman
Jalred Bellevoch (actual last name never used; has used a stage name since he got serious about being faction agent and doesn't adventure as much)
S 10 D 16 C 12 I 10 W 10 Cha 16
Feat: Actor (+1 Cha, and Advantage on Performance or Deception checks when passing self off as a different person ... mimic someone else's speech)
Skill from vHuman: Stealth. (Can change to thieves tools or Disguise kit if tool variation below is not kosher)
Skills From Faction Agent: Insight, History (For Lord's Alliance SCAG says it's required, so I'll roll with it)
Skills From Bard: Persuasion, Deception, Investigation
Tools: three. Change from three musical instruments to .. Lute, Thieves Tools, Disguise Kit. (Is this a problem?)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Shou, Calish_ite
At level 3; Expertise on Insight and Deception.
ASI @ 4: +2 Cha
ASI @ 8: +2 Con or +2 Dex or +2 Cha. Hmmmm. What do you suggest?
-----------
Usual gear: studded leather, rapier, dagger, lute, thieves tools, disguise kit, set of fine clothes
-----------
Spells Known: Sending and 10 others. (Picking later) Probably going to include magic mouth. Suggestions welcome.

Cantrips: Vicious Mockery, Mage Hand, Message (Maybe Friends)

Magic Items Owned: one uncommon, one rare. Suggestions?
Uncommon: stone from XGTE that turns a weapon into a spell casting focus
Rare Item: what fits here? ( I was thinking cloak of displacement ... seems to fit thematically)