PDA

View Full Version : Celestial War paint Item?

Awakeninfinity
2018-07-11, 04:16 PM
So I've done a pretty thorough search with google and my book collection and yet turned up nothing, but I'm looking a celestial themed paint that granted a temporary sacred bonus to AC with a DC 20-something craft (paint) check. I remember seeing it and it was an inspiration for one of my current characters. Was I hallucinating or does it actually exist?

ViperMagnum357
2018-07-11, 04:31 PM
Moonblood, a special material from Book of Exalted Deeds page 38. It is 1,500GP for one dose, DC 22 craft (Painting) to apply, and grants a Sacred bonus of +2 to AC for 24 hours. Also deals 1d6 damage to Evil creatures that touch it.

Awakeninfinity
2018-07-11, 05:00 PM
Moonblood, a special material from Book of Exalted Deeds page 38. It is 1,500GP for one dose, DC 22 craft (Painting) to apply, and grants a Sacred bonus of +2 to AC for 24 hours. Also deals 1d6 damage to Evil creatures that touch it.

Oh; thank you! That would explained why I wanted to tie it in to the Moon-Warded ACF in Dragon.

Mike Miller
2018-07-11, 08:28 PM
There are more face paints in Dragon mag, too

Kelb_Panthera
2018-07-11, 08:33 PM
The Dragonlance Campaign Setting also has an alchemical war-paint that gives a couple points to AC; either armour or alchemical bonus IIRC.

ViperMagnum357
2018-07-11, 08:45 PM
The Dragonlance Campaign Setting also has an alchemical war-paint that gives a couple points to AC; either armour or alchemical bonus IIRC.

Tarmak War Paint, from the DLCS on page 232. It is 500 GP for one dose, requires DC 25 Craft (Alchemy) and a RP reason why your character knows how to create this setting specific concoction, made from special ingredients that grow only in a tiny section of 1 backwater Plane and known only to 1 insular, secluded race there.

On the other hand, an application gives you a +5 natural AC bonus and Fast Healing 5, and does not wear off until the Fast Healing has notched 20 points.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-07-11, 08:53 PM
Tarmak War Paint, from the DLCS on page 232. It is 500 GP for one dose, requires DC 25 Craft (Alchemy) and a RP reason why your character knows how to create this setting specific concoction, made from special ingredients that grow only in a tiny section of 1 backwater Plane and known only to 1 insular, secluded race there.

On the other hand, an application gives you a +5 natural AC bonus and Fast Healing 5, and does not wear off until the Fast Healing has notched 20 points.

Assuming the GM won't just allow a simple refluff, the cities of Sigil and Union in the default setting are the kind of places where you can buy anything from anywhere.

Honestly though, I can easily see the Rashemi or Uthgardt in FR or the Talenta halflings in Eberron creating such a substance.

Awakeninfinity
2018-07-12, 09:15 AM

That sounds perfect as part of the material components of the incantation ritual I creating (subject to GM approval). Also is that an enhancement bonus or just grants Natural Armor?

Assuming the GM won't just allow a simple refluff, the cities of Sigil and Union in the default setting are the kind of places where you can buy anything from anywhere.

Honestly though, I can easily see the Rashemi or Uthgardt in FR or the Talenta halflings in Eberron creating such a substance.

I could also see a Druid Circle in in one of the outer planes having it as well (it's where my Cohort is from). I'd have to see if any of my friends have a copy of DLCS though...

ViperMagnum357
2018-07-12, 12:57 PM
That sounds perfect as part of the material components of the incantation ritual I creating (subject to GM approval). Also is that an enhancement bonus or just grants Natural Armor?

The wording leaves it untyped but 'grants' it as an effect: that means it can stack with an enhancement bonus to natural AC bonuses like the basic amulet, but overlays an extant bonus, acting as a replacement effect per the rules where you take the highest of 2 bonuses from the same source-thus, if you normally had an actual, natural AC of +3, you would take the higher bonus of +5 until the Warpaint wore off and you went back to +3 thereafter. You can dig up some natural AC discussions for overlapping effects here, if you want.