PDA

View Full Version : Versatile Feat

Bannan_mantis
2018-07-11, 04:22 PM
I feel that using a one handed weapon with two hands (versatile) just statically is much worse than using a two handed or heavy weapon so I was hoping to create a feat which is able to fix that. If you feel that I am wrong in my opinion say and explain why and if you feel my feat needs adjustments say as well

Versatile Master
when using a versatile weapon you can add double your proficiency bonus to attack rolls and add your proficiency bonus to damage rolls

Amnoriath
2018-07-12, 12:19 AM
I feel that using a one handed weapon with two hands (versatile) just statically is much worse than using a two handed or heavy weapon so I was hoping to create a feat which is able to fix that. If you feel that I am wrong in my opinion say and explain why and if you feel my feat needs adjustments say as well

Versatile Master
when using a versatile weapon you can add double your proficiency bonus to attack rolls and add your proficiency bonus to damage rolls

While that is true what you have here gives you an effective +12 strength. Feats are supposed to give you certain benefits in specific areas in trade of of +1 bonus to many different rolls. This isn't even in the tailgating field of balance.

Amnoriath
2018-07-12, 12:32 AM
I have homebrewed this feat for a player of mine about a year ago and worked out quite well. I also posted it before.
Hand and a Half Mastery
*When you would hold a versatile weapon in one hand and nothing in the other increase your weapon attack rolls by 1.
*when you would hold a versatile weapon in two hands increase your damage rolls by 1.
*If you would miss a creature while holding a weapon in two hands as a bonus action you can release your grip of one hand to guide the strike. The next melee attack roll with it is made with advantage as long as it is done by the start of your next turn.
*when you would hit a creature with a versatile weapon in one hand as a bonus action you can focus your strength by grasping it with your second hand. If the melee attack hits you roll the weapon die again adding it to the damage roll.

Composer99
2018-07-12, 07:02 AM

Versatile Master

Versatile weapons are supposed to be worse than two-handed weapons at dealing damage. That's the trade-off you make for having a weapon that you can wield with two hands, or wield with one hand and a shield, or even, with the right feat, wield one in each hand.

Amnoriath has already covered the flaws with this feat; I just wanted to raise the point of the design principle behind versatile weapons.

paddyfool
2018-07-12, 07:39 AM
I have homebrewed this feat for a player of mine about a year ago and worked out quite well. I also posted it before.
Hand and a Half Mastery
*When you would hold a versatile weapon in one hand and nothing in the other increase your weapon attack rolls by 1.
*when you would hold a versatile weapon in two hands increase your damage rolls by 1.
*If you would miss a creature while holding a weapon in two hands as a bonus action you can release your grip of one hand to guide the strike. Thext melee attack roll with it is made with advantage as long as it is done by the start of your next turn.
*when you would hit a creature with a versatile weapon in one hand as a bonus action you can focus your strength by grasping it with your second hand. If the melee attack hits you roll the weapon die again adding it to the damage roll.

It feels a bit unrealistic to be more accurate guiding a weapon to its target with one hand than with two. Perhaps a +1 damage bonus when you use two hands for a versatile weapon, or +1 ac for the next round after using it with one hand? (Either by being more evasive with one hand free, or having two weapons with which to defend against attacks).

Amnoriath
2018-07-12, 10:00 AM
It feels a bit unrealistic to be more accurate guiding a weapon to its target with one hand than with two. Perhaps a +1 damage bonus when you use two hands for a versatile weapon, or +1 ac for the next round after using it with one hand? (Either by being more evasive with one hand free, or having two weapons with which to defend against attacks).
It is true that a fundamental of two-handed sword fighting is to use your dominant hand as a guide and the other for smaller movement for better control. The problem with your evaluation is that why don't finesse weapons get the same benefit? The answer is that the feat arbitrarily says versatile weapons even though your reasoning should extend to finesse weapons. So, my reasoning is this a versatile weapon is a heavier one-handed so when using it in one handed your arm is both acting like a counter balance to the force and fienting strategy to make the hit. This feat trains you to do that.