PDA

View Full Version : Monster Slayer Ranger Optimization

MidgetMarine
2018-07-11, 06:39 PM
Hey GiTP!
I'm doing some optimizing with a new player for a Waterdeep: Dragon Heist that's going to be going down in September.
Current plan is a Hill Dwarf Life Cleric 1/Ranger X with Monster Slayer as the subclass, abusing exploration abilities in the Urban setting and Goodberry for Healing.
Taking Squat Nimbleness at Ranger 4/level 5 to up Dex to 16 and up his speed.
Any suggestions?

djreynolds
2018-07-12, 01:18 AM
It depends if you're dumping strength.

And are using a bow/crossbow or TWF or S&B.

I honestly like a S&B, rapier/shield dex based ranger, but having the ability to bless yourself makes archery style and sharpshooter even more potent, especially in urban areas where cover can come by very easy. Bless will compete with hunter's mark though

Because of the urban area, just sharp shooter's ignoring of 3/4 cover and increase of distance could be a big boon and you might want this earlier than later to take advantage of sharpshooter instead of at say 8th level

I would forgo squat nimbleness for now for, and perhaps take sharpshooter instead along with archery style.

I might consider crossbow expert at 8th also, just because you are sure to get ambushed and have to use your ranged weapons in melee and this will negate disadvantage of 5ft and I'm sure hand crossbows will be fun in Water Deep

You can always have long strider just in case you need a burst of speed

MidgetMarine
2018-07-12, 05:44 PM
Current plan is to dump STR.
We were unimpressed with how the build looked in terms of raw array and figured hanging Dex at 15 until 5.
The argument was that wanting to keep up with the party, as well as keeping self sufficient in terms of mobility.
Squat nimbleness rounded dex up to a neat 16 for for the end of the module and the beginning of Dungeon of the Mad Mage, as well as giving him some ribbon abilities that are legitimately useful for a midliner ranger.
Fighter dip has been considered and is likely, but unclear if it'll be for any more than 2-3 levels late past 10.

MidgetMarine
2018-07-12, 05:45 PM
Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter, Mobile & Dwarven Fortitude have all been considered at various points.
Though CBE does have some non-synergy with Monster Slayer's bonus action.