PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spell Turning rules question

Iceheart2112
2018-07-12, 01:41 PM
My summoner is coming up on 13th level and I was looking through the spell choices. Spell turning caught my eye while flipping through. And as I was looking it over it didn't say anything about stacking or not. So if I were to cast it 2 times in a row would I be able to have (1d4+6)x2 spell levels be turned or would it overlap?

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-12, 04:09 PM
What you want to look at are the rules for Combining/Stacking Magic Effects (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/#TOC-Combining-Magic-Effects). "In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the one with the highest strength applies." In this instance, the strength of the spell is reflected in the number of spell levels affected by the turning. So the spell with the highest number of spell levels would apply.

Archiplex
2018-07-12, 09:22 PM
So the spell with the highest number of spell levels would apply.

Only the one with the highest number of spell levels applies, but the other effect is not dispelled, correct?

Wouldn't this mean that as soon as the number of spell levels remaining in the strongest cast of the spell goes below the other, then the other one takes over? In effect, you're still basically combining both casts.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-12, 09:40 PM
Only the one with the highest number of spell levels applies, but the other effect is not dispelled, correct?

Wouldn't this mean that as soon as the number of spell levels remaining in the strongest cast of the spell goes below the other, then the other one takes over? In effect, you're still basically combining both casts.When you are targeted by a spell, both Spell Turnings would effectively be triggered. But the spell is still only turned once (having two spell turnings doesn't mean that one acid arrow cast on you becomes two acid arrows going back on the caster). So effectively both of their spell levels are used up. The one with fewer spell levels is used up already by the time the one with the most spell levels is gone.