PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Path of war advice

JMAP94
2018-07-12, 01:56 PM
Wanted someone's opinion on this. I'm making a tieasatsu/night Terror vigilante and I'm starting at level 5.

Do I choose my maneuvers as if I had advanced from level 1 to level 5 (I learn four level 1 maneuvers and 2 level 2 manuvers), or do I just pick my maneuvers as if i had started at level 5 (being able to pick all my maneuvers as level 2)?

I'm inclined to say the former but I'm with a bunch of heavy hitter spell casters and I don't think anyone would care.

Lotheb
2018-07-12, 04:01 PM
Ask your DM/fellow players. If you do end up picking maneuvers from the bottom up remeber that you get to swap a maneuver known at 4th level (and every even level after), and the new maneuver can be higher level than the one it replaces

exelsisxax
2018-07-12, 04:29 PM
Just like every other thing in the game, you advance from level 1 to X and gain features appropriately as if you were that level. Just as level 20 wizards don't get to add 40 level 9 spells to their spellbooks, you can't select all your maneuvers as if your IL was your entry level.

Don't ask your DM, just follow the rules.

How are you getting maneuvers, by the way? There exists no Vigilante options to me knowledge.

JMAP94
2018-07-12, 04:35 PM
It's called the night terror from dream scarred press. It's not on d20 it's from a book called Divergent Paths: Fools Errand.

Ps youre also right about that. For some reason I thought manuvers might work differently.

PSS I feel like they should've given this class steel serpent as well. I feel it's more thematic then eternal guardian.

Andor13
2018-07-12, 06:09 PM
You can always take the Unorthodox Method (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/traits/unorthodox-method-regional-any/) trait, or join a martial tradition, if you want to change a discipline.

JMAP94
2018-07-12, 06:13 PM
oh shoot! didn't even see that, thank!

Epic Legand
2018-07-12, 06:41 PM
If you are taking all 5 levels in Vigilante, then yes, you get a few to start, then some as you gain levels. I do not have access to Fools gold, so I do not know how many you get over time. However another choice is taking 4 levels of something else, and 1 level of Vigilante( at 5th level), this would give you a starting initiator level of 3( 1/2 your non martial levels + your 1 level of martial), then take the trait for +2 initiator levels( up to your hit dice). This allows you to come in with a level 5 initiator level. You are still a level 1 Vigilante ( so as many readied and known as a level 1, BUT you can select up to level 3 maneuvers). You still need to fulfill prerequisites, most 3ed level maneuvers require at least one other maneuver or stance from the same school for example. This affords you a legal way to do part of what your asking for, just without as many known or readied maneuvers or class features.

Lotheb
2018-07-12, 06:56 PM
The stuff Epic Legand said applies if you take your fifth level in a full initiator class like warder or stalker, but Archetypes for other classes have their maneuver progression strictly gated by class level instead of initiator level. I haven't seen night terror so maybe it works differently, but if it goes off of Archtype Maneuver Progression then you only count class levels for what level maneuvers you get from leveling up

JMAP94
2018-07-12, 07:27 PM
The stuff Epic Legand said applies if you take your fifth level in a full initiator class like warder or stalker, but Archetypes for other classes have their maneuver progression strictly gated by class level instead of initiator level. I haven't seen night terror so maybe it works differently, but if it goes off of Archtype Maneuver Progression then you only count class levels for what level maneuvers you get from leveling up

it works off of the archetype table, but its also kind of weird.

However, it also says this. This is a quote from the book: " The maximum level of maneuvers gained through night terror levels is limited by those listed in that table as well, although this restriction does not apply to maneuvers added to his maneuvers known through other methods, such as prestige classes or the Advanced Study feat." so, im going to probably find a way to "abuse" that.... (what i really mean to say is, find a way to get a really good manuever that i otherwise would not have access to in order to stay competetive with those dangnabit spell casters)

Because of this, I am TOTALLY multiclassing at level 8 into the Umbral blade class (as I don't get a vigilante talent at level 8 anyway due to the archetype, and all's i get is another die of sneak attack (which is pretty much cancelled about by the 1d6 shadow blade). I also will be giving up the ability to throw improvised weapons while i have stuff in my hands, which is cool, but i have a strength score of 5....so....

Elricaltovilla
2018-07-13, 07:50 AM
it works off of the archetype table, but its also kind of weird.

However, it also says this. This is a quote from the book: " The maximum level of maneuvers gained through night terror levels is limited by those listed in that table as well, although this restriction does not apply to maneuvers added to his maneuvers known through other methods, such as prestige classes or the Advanced Study feat." so, im going to probably find a way to "abuse" that.... (what i really mean to say is, find a way to get a really good manuever that i otherwise would not have access to in order to stay competetive with those dangnabit spell casters)

Because of this, I am TOTALLY multiclassing at level 8 into the Umbral blade class (as I don't get a vigilante talent at level 8 anyway due to the archetype, and all's i get is another die of sneak attack (which is pretty much cancelled about by the 1d6 shadow blade). I also will be giving up the ability to throw improvised weapons while i have stuff in my hands, which is cool, but i have a strength score of 5....so....

You can't really abuse something that we wrote in there to explicitly allow you to do exactly the thing you are planning on doing with your umbral blade levels.:smalltongue:

Eldaran
2018-07-14, 03:02 AM
IF you do retraining you can take Advanced Study every odd level then just retrain it every 2 levels, so you're always getting access to two of the highest level maneuvers possible, which is much better than what you get from the archetype.