PDA

View Full Version : The Conduit, a 5e half caster class

Clodix367
2018-07-12, 02:16 PM
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJb6qDYfmQ

Composer99
2018-07-12, 04:46 PM
This class is only "half caster" insofar as it caps at 5th-level spells. Otherwise, it has a ridiculous capacity to recover spell slots, to the point where it's just about putting sorcerers and warlocks to shame with its ability to cast spells of 5th level and lower.

Add to that some potent 1st-level features that blow away the goodies that the PHB paladin and ranger get, and you have one overpowered class. For instance, unless I'm misreading, you have no upper limit on the number of clones you can have active at a time, save for your per-long-rest cap on using the feature in the first place.

Overall, I would suggest ditching all the spell slot recovery, and spreading the cool spirit features from 1st level out a bit, if only because they seem more thematic than "moar spellz" does.

Clodix367
2018-07-12, 06:04 PM
Im curious what makes the clones overpowered to you if only one can do one thing a turn?

JNAProductions
2018-07-12, 06:32 PM
The fact that you can have 440 of them, maybe.

I’m at work, but this class needs SERIOUS work. I’ll go more in depth later.

Composer99
2018-07-12, 07:37 PM
Im curious what makes the clones overpowered to you if only one can do one thing a turn?

(1) If you make a point of pumping AC (with, say, mage armour), you can have a bunch of mini-tanks running around, without having even spent spell slots to conjure them as anyone else would need to. This is more of a problem at high levels, but still.

(2) Unless you have a habit of wading into melee, without opportunity attacks you might struggle to use your reaction offensively. With the clones, you can stand back, blast or buff with spells (So. Many. Spells.) and burn reactions on your clones' weapon attacks. So far as I am aware, no other class feature or feat just lets you make attacks using your reaction: you need some kind of triggering effect, as per the berserker riposte feature.

(3) As I implied, taken together with possession, it's too much for first level. Paladins get to tell if there are fiends, fey, and a few other foes about, along with a small but scaling pool of healing, and rangers get an exploration feature and the somewhat lacklustre favoured enemy feature. These guys get a mini-me and a powerful combat stance, particularly at low levels, when you don't have as many Wisdom saves to fear.

JNAProductions
2018-07-12, 08:08 PM
Also, can get DC 24 spells. That is broken.

Clodix367
2018-07-12, 10:30 PM
(1) If you make a point of pumping AC (with, say, mage armour), you can have a bunch of mini-tanks running around, without having even spent spell slots to conjure them as anyone else would need to. This is more of a problem at high levels, but still.

(2) Unless you have a habit of wading into melee, without opportunity attacks you might struggle to use your reaction offensively. With the clones, you can stand back, blast or buff with spells (So. Many. Spells.) and burn reactions on your clones' weapon attacks. So far as I am aware, no other class feature or feat just lets you make attacks using your reaction: you need some kind of triggering effect, as per the berserker riposte feature.

(3) As I implied, taken together with possession, it's too much for first level. Paladins get to tell if there are fiends, fey, and a few other foes about, along with a small but scaling pool of healing, and rangers get an exploration feature and the somewhat lacklustre favoured enemy feature. These guys get a mini-me and a powerful combat stance, particularly at low levels, when you don't have as many Wisdom saves to fear.

(1) SO I've added some rules against body blocking with them and you definitely can't have as many as you want so I think that just having them there isn't that big of a deal no matter how high their AC

(2)There actually is, the Circle of Spores maxes at 12 at 14th level which everyone complained was low. This ability maxes at a flat 16 of weapon damage (magical or not depending) plus 2d4 of damage (plus another 2d8 if you use a spell slot) that aren't often resisted so I'd think the average is a nice boost from the Circle of Spores.

(3) Okay, fair enough. I'm moving it up to third level.

Clodix367
2018-07-12, 10:37 PM
Also, can get DC 24 spells. That is broken.

Can no longer add con to your spell save dc, but since a plus 5 is basically equal to advantage in the eyes of WotC, I gave a situation disadvantage on the spell save. Thoughts?

UnintensifiedFa
2018-08-31, 08:55 AM
Technically it should be d8 (or 5) plus con not d8 (or 4)