View Full Version : Fighter archer build help please

Rtgamer
2018-07-12, 04:50 PM
Backstories are so valuable.. that stated; I've been preoccupied with one.
In short: he's a wood elf retired soldier/scout An archer (fighting style) rolled #s are pre racial : 18,15,14,12,11,11.
I imagine his charisma is in the dumps as he's old, cantankerous and unattractive, having an ugly brow to jaw facial scar. I value wisdom over intelligence for the associated abilities. Dexterity is probably the bread and butter for this grumpa.. it's an archer thing. Fighters got to have Constitution and some strumpf.
Our DM lets us carve 2 for 1 so I figure to chop charisma for an extra elsewhere. DM also says an 18 is a max attribute at lvl 1 creation. I'm concerned in how to best allocate #s and then what path in archetype. He's not a sneaky sniper assassin type. He's old school army.. wears leathers, uses his longbow unless the fighting gets close in which case he keeps a couple of hand crossbows preloaded on safety for closing chargers and his melee weapon is a war pick. I like the idea of him using a whip (Indiana) style also. Any advise much appreciated.

gloryblaze
2018-07-12, 04:59 PM
If 18 is the max allowed including racials, then something like:

14 Str
18 (15+2+1) Dex
18 Con
11 Int
13 (12+1) Wis
9 (11-2) Cha

sounds like it might fit what you're aiming for. Gruff, physically capable, tough as old shoe leather. You mentioned valuing Int and Wis - since your main stats are ridiculous for level 1 already, your level 4 ASI can definitely go into Int and Wis to even them both out at 12 and 14, and since fighters get boatloads of ASIs things like Resilient (Wis) and Observant might be fun to take.

As for archetype, Battlemaster or Champion work well for a non-magical archer.

SLOTHRPG95
2018-07-12, 05:55 PM

14 Str
18 (15+2+1) Dex
18 Con
11 Int
13 (12+1) Wis
9 (11-2) Cha

sounds like it might fit what you're aiming for. Gruff, physically capable, tough as old shoe leather. You mentioned valuing Int and Wis - since your main stats are ridiculous for level 1 already, your level 4 ASI can definitely go into Int and Wis to even them both out at 12 and 14, and since fighters get boatloads of ASIs things like Resilient (Wis) and Observant might be fun to take.

Or for just minorly less physically capable (due to age) but still mostly fit, switch base Str and Wis, leading to 12 and 15, respectively. Still enough strength to fight off young whipper-snappers if necessary, but a little bit better at dishing out words of wisdom for the young'uns and being stubborn and cantankerous (i.e., higher WIS saves).

Rtgamer
2018-07-12, 08:24 PM

14 Str
18 (15+2+1) Dex
18 Con
11 Int
13 (12+1) Wis
9 (11-2) Cha

How did the 18 dex come about from 15+2 racial bonus 17 where did the +1 more come from?

gloryblaze
2018-07-12, 08:29 PM
How did the 18 dex come about from 15+2 racial bonus 17 where did the +1 more come from?

You mentioned that you can trade 2 points in 1 stat for 1 point in another - I cut your Cha from 11 to 9

ImproperJustice
2018-07-12, 09:15 PM
Battlemaster seems like a solid choice for an old Dog with a few deadly tricks, who needs to catch his breath every so often.

Champion works for a veteran of legend. Maybe seeking to live beneath it in humble obscurity, and yet many may not know just how many battles hebhas survived.

Samurai fits for an old veteran who has learned his way around the politics of leadership, and fights with great ferocity when his back is against the wall.

Eldritch Knight for the archer who realizes that his body won’t last forever. Yet he has seen withered old men and women bathe battlefields in a sea of fire and lightning. In his old age, he has begun learning a few magical tricka from the company mage. Some may see it as a crutch, you know it to be your retirement plan.
You could take a similar motivation for arcane archer.

Lastly: the wizened old scout has long since learned the art of one shot, one kill.
Sharp eyed, but still quiet as a mouse, the old codger is spyrer than he looks.

Or

Tis wit, not strength that makes a solid lad. Similar to the Scout Sniper, the Inquisitive Archer is a sharp eyed sniper that has spent long hours observing enemy forces from a distance and picks up on details and weaknesses that others do not.

bid
2018-07-12, 09:53 PM
He's old school army.. wears leathers, uses his longbow unless the fighting gets close in which case he keeps a couple of hand crossbows preloaded on safety for closing chargers and his melee weapon is a war pick. I like the idea of him using a whip (Indiana) style also. Any advise much appreciated.
I have a few advice for you. It mostly comes to focussing on what's important.

You officially can only fire 1 crossbow per turn, preloaded doesn't help. You can take the crossbow master feat to fire from melee as often as you can, that would solve your issue.

I would drop the warpick and ignore Str for combat. Whip can use Dex for attack / damage.

I'd almost Str11 Dex16(14+2) Con18 Int12 Wis16(15+1) Cha11, with the archery style you are good enough. I don't think it's worth exchanging 2:1, but you can Dex18 / Int10 / Cha9 if you really want.

As for archetype, battle master seems closest to your RP concept. I would expect higher Cha on a samurai, and magic seems ruled out.

CTurbo
2018-07-13, 01:45 AM
I think Str and Cha should be his lowest stats if he that old

I like what somebody above did with the -2 to Charisma

That gets you 11 Str, 18(15+2+1) Dex, 18 Con, 12 Int, 15(14+1) Wis, 9 Cha

Battle Master seems perfect like everyone has said

Does he HAVE to be Elf? I'm thinking since you're hardcapped at 18 to start, you could take a different race that doesn't boost Dex.
An old Grumpy Hill Dwarf would be fun. I made a really old Goliath Sorcerer once who only had a 12 Str, but had a 20 Dex

NaughtyTiger
2018-07-13, 08:25 AM
old battle hardened warrior with 13 wis and 11 int?

min/max and RP, i would put a high value (18) in wis.
archers shouldn't be hit much (lower the con)
or
he's old, and shakes a little: dex 16. (AC doesn't change cuz medium armor, one slower in init, less damage/accuracy, but a +1 bow will make up for it and is easy to come by.)
meanwhile +4 to wisdom saves. (or set it to 17 and pick up resilient wisdom)

or, do keep that 13 wisdom and hope that +1 will prevent "suggestion" from you running away for the next hour.

Rtgamer
2018-07-13, 05:18 PM
Always great feedback here, thank you all. I found out that our DM doesn't allow carving rolls. He also has no restriction for initial stats meaning 18s or higher are fine. But the help I've received has really rocked. The old dog as it were will not be as strong as he once was.. 11 str. he's very spry despite the limp when he walks..17 dex. His good health and resiliency have really paid off over the decades.. 14 con. Of course he can read, and write but might struggle with new math.. 12 int. nothing compares with actual experience; except luck,and luck favors the prepared.. 19 wis. Who farted?.. 11 cha.
Archer type feats, battlemaster archetype. Making a comeback from antiquity

CTurbo
2018-07-13, 06:40 PM
Always great feedback here, thank you all. I found out that our DM doesn't allow carving rolls. He also has no restriction for initial stats meaning 18s or higher are fine. But the help I've received has really rocked. The old dog as it were will not be as strong as he once was.. 11 str. he's very spry despite the limp when he walks..17 dex. His good health and resiliency have really paid off over the decades.. 14 con. Of course he can read, and write but might struggle with new math.. 12 int. nothing compares with actual experience; except luck,and luck favors the prepared.. 19 wis. Who farted?.. 11 cha.
Archer type feats, battlemaster archetype. Making a comeback from antiquity

Man I would start Wood Elf 11 Str, 20 Dex, 14 Con, 12 Int, 16 Wis, 11 Cha and then you won't have to worry about ever bumping a stat score again. That means you can feat every chance you get. That would be awesome.

How old are you planning to be? 500? 600? 700? Super old Elves are still Dexterous so starting with 20 there makes sense.

I'd take Sharpshooter, Alert, and Tough and probably in that order. You'd get SEVEN feats total.

Other feats that would be great for you would be-
Lucky, Mobile, Magic Initiate, Ritual Caster, Wood Elf Magic, Skulker, Observant(+1 Wis), Perceptive(+1 Wis), Elven Accuracy(+1 Wis), and Res(Wis)(+1 Wis)

I like the idea of an old Elf Fighter knowing some magic. I would almost definitely take Magic Initiate OR Ritual Caster. Wood Elf Magic would compliment either.