PDA

View Full Version : Star vs Forces of Evil

Karabars
2018-07-12, 08:44 PM
Does anyone watches this (imo) amazing show?

No brains
2018-07-12, 08:46 PM
I remembered watching one episode and really liking the animation. Maybe I should watch it more.

Elanasaurus
2018-07-13, 01:11 AM
Not my type, but the opening song and the closing song are SO CATCHY!!
:elan:

Some Android
2018-07-13, 01:24 AM
I think there's a demon guy with three eyes and Star used to date, and a severed unicorn head that repeatedly says the phrase "Earth Turd" or something like that, and I also think the actress that plays Malory Archer voices a character on this show.

The lady that runs the disobedient princess boarding school - is it the same voice as Malory Archer from the animated sitcom Archer? Is there an episode where she tell people not to leave food lying around because that's how you get ants?:smallwink:

Aotrs Commander
2018-07-13, 02:00 AM
Sadly, as it airs on UK children's television, where any level of coherence is basically impossible1, like so many other shows which actually have a plot (past the first season or so or whatever), I only see infrequent snatches now and again.

(I could not begin to follow Steven Universe at this point, and even something like Gumball - which I have discovered in the past handful of weeks - which is episodic has bits where I'm going "wait, that happened to that character?")

Basically, anything with an actual plot or what have you, I have to watch on DVD, Netflicks or find... Wherever... on the internet. Or very occasionally, be able to catch something like most of a series of Ninjago in order in a marathan where they've made a token attempt. Star is/was not blatently arc-centric (like Ninjago was) from the get-go so gets no such treatment, or not as far as I've seen, anyway.

1After the first showing (which is always these days at an impossible time and never even the same time), a series has the episodes repeated and shown in a largely random order from "everything the show has done until now."

Karabars
2018-07-13, 03:43 AM
I watched it here:
http://ww5.cartooncrazy.net/cartoon/star-vs-the-forces-of-evil/

And yes, Malory Archer's voice is in it.
And yes, Earth turd, beheaded flying unicorn, three-eyed demon with puberty, catchy songs.

I was surprised when this show got darker. I liekd that!

Some Android
2018-07-13, 03:43 AM
I think there's an episode where Star, Marco, and girl Marco kind of has a crush on with kind of blonde and pink/purple hair go to a concert. There's this one song that's romantic and a bunch of background characters kiss and two boys/male teens kiss each other. I though that was good - showing a homosexual relationship on a kid's show. How progressive!

Karabars
2018-07-13, 03:54 AM
I think there's an episode where Star, Marco, and girl Marco kind of has a crush on with kind of blonde and pink/purple hair go to a concert. There's this one song that's romantic and a bunch of background characters kiss and two boys/male teens kiss each other. I though that was good - showing a homosexual relationship on a kid's show. How progressive!
(That song is catchy too.) That moment surprised me and I thought: how cool!
This is that song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n5ACBivlcg
Put it in spoiler because does have a lot of spoilers in it.

Bohandas
2018-07-13, 04:08 AM
Star is IMO one of the five best disney princesses (along with Leia, San, Fang, and Mira Nova, in no particular order)

Chromascope3D
2018-07-13, 01:25 PM
I have a mixed opinion about it. I think the art and animation is great, the character designs are alright, and the audio quality/sound mixing is absolutely atrocious. Somehow, I'm the only person on the internet to ever point that last one out, though.

The Fury
2018-07-13, 02:02 PM
It's hard to put my finger on why, but I love Star's voice. For some reason I just find her affect is naturally funny, which suits the character's manic personality perfectly.

Reddish Mage
2018-07-13, 04:54 PM
You got my hopes up that the show has already returned for a new season.

I discovered this gem accidentally and it’s one of the best things on. I am worried that it’s lost something with the last season, now that Star is transitioning to full-on princess in her own style. There’s no longer a real villain and the new advocacy and location doesn’t have the same spark for me.

Karabars
2018-07-13, 05:08 PM
You got my hopes up that the show has already returned for a new season.

I discovered this gem accidentally and it’s one of the best things on. I am worried that it’s lost something with the last season, now that Star is transitioning to full-on princess in her own style. There’s no longer a real villain and the new advocacy and location doesn’t have the same spark for me.
Eclipsia's husband/love, the monster can be the new villain. Or they can bring someone fresh but not out of place.

Some Android
2018-07-13, 05:30 PM
Star is IMO one of the five best disney princesses (along with Leia, San, Fang, and Mira Nova, in no particular order)

Okay, who are those? I did a google search for the three I didn't get and still don't know who those two are.

I have a mixed opinion about it. I think the art and animation is great, the character designs are alright, and the audio quality/sound mixing is absolutely atrocious. Somehow, I'm the only person on the internet to ever point that last one out, though.

It's called the CalArts style, and it's slowly taking over everything. Even the Thundercats aren't immune to it.

Zmeoaice
2018-07-13, 05:43 PM
Star Vs is a bit bouncier than the standard Calarts garbage art style. It seems to be a blend of that and the geometric cartoons of the early 2000s.

Bohandas
2018-07-13, 05:49 PM
Okay, who are those? I did a google search for the three I didn't get and still don't know who those two are.

San is the real name of the title character from "Princess Mononoke" (although she's technically the daughter of a demigoddess rather than technically a princess per se)

Fang was one of the main characters from "Dave The Barbarian"

Mira Nova was from the direct to dvd Toy Story spinoff movie "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command" and was also on the tv cartoon based on the movie

Chromascope3D
2018-07-13, 06:07 PM

It's called the CalArts style, and it's slowly taking over everything. Even the Thundercats aren't immune to it.

No, I actually generally like the CalArts style, I jsut meant that a good deal of the magical characters suffer from the Lolsorandom School of smashing a bunch of stuff together without any real rhyme or reason. The human/mewman characters themselves are pretty well designed, imo, but taken altogether it's only just north of alright.

geometric cartoons of the early 2000s.

That's called UPA style, based on the UPA cartoons of the 50s-60s.

Some Android
2018-07-13, 06:49 PM
San is the real name of the title character from "Princess Mononoke" (although she's technically the daughter of a demigoddess rather than technically a princess per se)

Fang was one of the main characters from "Dave The Barbarian"

My favorite Disney Princess is Mabel Pines because I like Kristen Schaal, and I have a very loose definition of the term princess.

Mira Nova was from the direct to dvd Toy Story spinoff movie "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command" and was also on the tv cartoon based on the movie

I actually got an answer to that with google search.